viciousfist
    viciousfist's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cotto - Margarito

Hey all. Been lurking for a while and finally decided to post.

Just curious on everyone's thoughts on Cotto - Margarito. I think Margarito is a great bet at +188. From what I've seen, he has the size and the style to neutralize Cotto's speed and brutal body work. Margarito also throws from some crazy angles that I'm not sure Cotto's ever seen, with enough pop to inflict some serious hurt.

Big fan of both guys, and Cotto has certainly proven himself as a killer, but I think Margarito is just too big, strong and wily to be as easily bullied as some of Cotto's smaller opponents have been.

Interested to hear what you all think (especially punchmaster) before laying down a considerable chunk of money on this one.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

Take Cotto. Ride him until somebody beats him. I know the +188 looks good, but its hard to bet underdogs in boxing. I dont see Cotto not coming out with his hands held high.

BTW, when is the fight and whree is it airing?

smallon
    smallon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by shady610 View Post
    Take Cotto. Ride him until somebody beats him. I know the +188 looks good, but its hard to bet underdogs in boxing. I dont see Cotto not coming out with his hands held high.

BTW, when is the fight and whree is it airing?
    The fight is on July 26 and is on PPV if I remember correctly but it might be on HBO. If it is an you don't want to pay for it but have fast internet, you can watch it on Sopcast - probably channel 35999 (Sportin' Wood).

Right now, without having done my analysis and without the weigh-in taking place, I am slightly hesitant to make my final choice but I'd go with Cotto.

Given the level of Cotto's opposition and the fact he's undefeated, this alone makes him a good pick. Add in that he's young, riding a wave of success, and extremely skilled, he's a better pick. Margarito is a good fighter but he loops his punches and I don't see him getting away with it against Cotto who has a tighter defense and throws the straighter punches. As of today, my pick would be Cotto via points decision in a grueling battle that sees both fighters rocked.

silenthyena
    silenthyena's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cotto's hands and feet are too quick for Margorito. I see this fight being pretty one-sided with Cotto boxing the socks pretty much off of Margo for the first half of the fight. I think every time Margo tries to close the distance he will be met with body shots which he has gone down from although early in his career. Clottey was beating Margo easily until he hurt his hand and I think Clottey still should have gotten the victory in that fight because he was blocking everything Margo threw. I think Margo's only chance is a KO in this fight but I wouldnt bet on it.

MMAJOE
    MMAJOE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

I have this fight going the distance -135 ( 6 units )

millio007
    millio007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Is anyone betting by round are we allowed to make 12 seperate future wagers with the same book there is a profit if COTTO wins this fight laying down 100 still pays 2500 in 12th round (25-1 odds)

The most this fight pays off laying down 1,000 by round is 52k Margarito
    The least this fight pays off laying down 1,000 by round is 28k Margarito

so Laying down 12k can get you at least 28k by round on Margarito

The most this fight pays off laying down 1,000 by round is 50k Cotto
    The least this fight pays off laying down 1,000 by round is 25k Cotto

so Laying down 12k can get you at least 25k by round on Cotto

worst possible scenario taking all risks is 24k to win the least 25k-28k

I know all these wagers wont fly with a book right
    Last edited by millio007; 07-26-08 at 07:15 PM.

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

Don't you lose everything if it goes the distance? Round 12 props must end in that round, kinda like a sport bet that doesn't include overtime.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

damn cotto lost. hes not ready for floyd. we need to stop thinking that. floyd now stays retired.

Saunders FTW
    Saunders FTW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

floyd should fight de le hoya one more time, and collect a big paycheck, i dont understand why he wouldnt

pat venditto
    pat venditto's Avatar Become A Pro!

He doesn't need the money. I wonder what would happen in a margarito/mayweather. Wouldn't happen though because floyd is too smart then to fight a dude who has a legitament shot to KO him.

punchmaster
    punchmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 345

Quote Originally Posted by shady610 View Post
    damn cotto lost. hes not ready for floyd. we need to stop thinking that. floyd now stays retired.
    Cotto losing to Margarito means nothing in a fight against Floyd. Margarito is the fricken Terminator. Floyd's nothing like that. Cotto may have a better shot at beating Floyd then Margarito.

NapoleonEli
    NapoleonEli's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by punchmaster View Post
    Cotto losing to Margarito means nothing in a fight against Floyd. Margarito is the fricken Terminator. Floyd's nothing like that. Cotto may have a better shot at beating Floyd then Margarito.
    I agree Cotto vs. Floyd. . .I just want to see another good fight. . . .And .. Margarito and De La Hoya sound about right..

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by Saunders FTW View Post
    floyd should fight de le hoya one more time, and collect a big paycheck, i dont understand why he wouldnt
    Because nobody wants to watch that horrible fight again.