rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

anthony johnson -165...dan hardy +125

very interesting fight.....

johnson look too strong and athletic here?....hardy`s fairly clever with a very tricky counter left hook that,even knowing that`s his bread and butter many can`t seem to avoid....

it`s an interesting,potentially fan friendly fight,imo...anybody have a strong opinion?...

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Johnson fights smart he should win easily. He's got a great chin and fast hands. If things don't go his way on the feet he can easily use wrestling and should have no problems taking Hardy to the ground. That being said he could engage in a stand up war with Hardy and while he is faster Hardy is more technical. I like Johnson at -165 though and think he's definitely worth a play.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I'll play him if he gets down to -150. He's -138 at Pinny but I can't use them.

syn^
    syn^'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

AJ is a lock. If condit could ko hardy in a stand up battle AJ should have no problem. Not to mention his size advantage.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Worth noting that Hardy is not the KO artist that the ufc promotes him as being! Yes, anybody can get TKO'd/KO'd if they get caught, but I dont expect Johnson to just rush forward straight in to Hardy's counters like Swick and Markham did. Markham is the only guy tht Hardy has actually finished and Markham was in no condition to even take the fight. Add the fact that Hardy hasn't faced anybody with Johnson's size and wrestling ability (excluding GSP's wrestling of course but we all saw how tht went down) makes it difficult for me to take Hardy in this one. Only thing Hardy has going for him is Johnson's long layoff, obvious weight cutting issues and possibility that Johnson doesnt fight smart and neglects his wrestling which could easily steal him rounds if he uses it. Also worth considering that Johnson has left Cung Le's camp as apparently nobody half-decent trains there anymore, so is currently not assigned to any particular camp and is just training at random small gyms around his area. Hardy meanwhile has had a camp at Roughhouse and more recently been working with likes of Danzig and Roy Nelson.

I like Johnson in this one, but not at current odds and I'd defintely wait until after the weigh-ins before making a play either way. If anybody is thinking of taking Johnson by KO or Hardy by KO I'd wait and take the KO of the Night options instead at better odds. I dont expect any other KO's on the main card.
    Last edited by Vaughany; 03-21-11 at 06:41 AM.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

This is a tough fight for me to call. At first glance it seems obvious that AJ should win this by TKO, but there are question marks out there. As Vaughany has mentioned, he cuts a ton of weight and it can affect his cardio. He loves to stand and bang, although his real strength is GnP and he should utilize it in this matchup. The guy doesn't seem to have the best fight IQ and he hasn't fought in 14 months... which is a huge factor here. Bouncing around to different camps doesn't really help. AJ will be relying on his power and athleticism here. Hardy will probably come in w/ a decent gameplan that could surprise people. I think he may be a little undervalued after being smothered by GSP and KO'd by Condit. While Dana will probably keep Hardy around even a 3rd consecutive loss (due to his UK draw), I still think we'll see a rejuvenated Hardy fighting hard to stay around. Don't sleep on him.

To me this is a no play or take Hardy at +145 or better. Maybe roll w/ Hardy by decision and hedge w/ AJ KOTN prop.

KCJMAC
    MMA
    KCJMAC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Where can I bet on Johnson not making weight?

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Rumble!!

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

If Anthony Johnson makes weight this should be a relatively easy fight for him.

Dan Hardy is not the world class striker the UFC made him out to be.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Doubt this will be as easy as you guys think Dan's stand up isnt hype hes really really good Aj is explosive im assuming has reach on Dan but dont be shocked if Dan gets the better of AJ on the feet. Dont let that Condit ko sway you Dans been ko'd once in 30+ fights he got caught it happens... if this fight makes it past 7min and AJ starts to gas like he does Dan can eat him up if AJ cant get the takedown and im not sure he can AJ could be in trouble.... This is a fan fight one of those fights to watch should be an awesome fight. Dan opened at +140 something and got pounded down to +125 at 5dimes this fight is closer to a coin flip than a Lock imo.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Unless Rumble is being smart and "playin possum" he is sayin tht he doesnt want the fight to go to the ground:
    (From conference call):
    Hardy: Anthony and I are friendly. No reason to fabricate trash talk.
    Johnson: Dan's already been respectful to me. I like watching him fight. We're top athletes, we don't need to go back-and-forth.
    Rumble: Hell no. This fight isn't going to the ground. You're talking to two guys who like to bang.
    Rumble: We don't like that lovey-dovey stuff. That's why we should be in the main event.

xelance
    xelance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

I also like Dan Hardy in this one Plus odds against a guy with a long layoff...I will take that any day. Hardy is no slouch.

teaserpleaser

Its easy for AJ to say now but we'll see when he gets cracked and rocked he will turn to his wrestler base.

teaserpleaser

Its a close fight as much as you guys like the guys with + by their names how do you pass on a top 10 fighter world class striker with a 3:1 fight expierence ratio and who has fought tougher competition? By far If AJ can beat hardy it would be the best win of his young career beating spear, luigi, chad reinier or yoshida does nothing for me they turned out to be c and b fighters.... Dan Hardy is A grade AJ better come correct. Hardy is about a live a dog as they come.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

man, johnson would destroy hardy but hes coming up a looooooong layoff.

MMAdisciple
    MMAdisciple's Avatar Become A Pro!

At first glance I like Johnson but for me this will be a great fight to watch and one to not bet on. Can see Hardy stealing a split.

MMAdisciple
    MMAdisciple's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Dan Hardy is A grade
    Really? At what exactly? I disagree, but B level for sure imo. Was just never sold on him. Close fight with Marcus Davis, half-dominated "stick" Swick, knocked out a guy Nate Diaz stopped with pillow punches, and as I was just rewatching, Condit had zero respect for Hardy's trademark hook, walking right through it to land his own shots, he made Hardy's punch look soft. When one fighters' layoff is the biggest thing going for the other fighter in a fight, I say bad sign, 'cause I just can't think of what Hardy can bring Johnson, except for the said layoff giving Hardy the ability to make it an ugly and "close enough" fight.
    Last edited by MMAdisciple; 03-21-11 at 11:01 PM.

teaserpleaser

Trust me MMA disciple Dans striking is A Grade there arent too many guys asking to fight dan hardy. AJ knows whats up read his new sherdog comments below...

teaserpleaser

Dan Hardy was knocked out in his last fight, but upcoming opponent Anthony Johnson remains complimentary of the Brit’s standup game.

“He’s a great striker,” Johnson said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network. “He just made that one technical mistake with Carlos Condit, and Carlos capitalized on it and got the better end of the deal. Just because he got knocked out doesn’t make him a bad fighter. He’s still an amazing fighter. I still love watching the guy fight.”

Hardy and Condit fired left hooks on each other simultaneously. Condit’s was tighter and landed first, ending the UFC 120 matchup 4:27 into the first round.

The defeat was Hardy’s second in a row after losing a five-round decision to welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 111. In that matchup, Hardy showed his toughness but was also unable to stay on his feet. Johnson may also look to take him down when they meet March 26 at UFC Fight Night 24.

“If I want to take it to the ground, I know I can,” Johnson said. “I can wrestle. I’m not saying that he can’t, but I think my wrestling is better. It’s more solid.”

Johnson also isn’t saying that he won’t trade with Hardy on the feet.

“Both of our striking [games] are solid of course,” he said. “We’ll see. I think it’s going to be a great fight.”

The 26-year-old Johnson is also coming off a defeat. In his most recent fight, Josh Koscheck submitted him with a rear-naked choke in November 2009. Johnson spent 2010 recovering from a torn meniscus. He doesn’t believe Hardy has experience fighting anyone like him.

“Not at all,” Johnson said. “I don’t think anybody in the UFC matches my style of fighting.”

Johnson had tied together three straight impressive finishes before losing to Koscheck. With a win over a former title challenger, he could move back into the mix of contenders at 170 pounds. He said the title is not on his mind right now, however.

“I just want to keep fighting and keep improving,” Johnson explained. “Like I said, I’ll make a statement whenever I’m a champ. That’s when I’ll know I deserve to be there. Not having one or two fights and automatically getting a title shot. I don’t want to take that road.”

teaserpleaser

like i said this is a fan fight one to grab some popcorn and watch not to bet a side if you can get a prop or total sure. But i probably wont be betting this fight so i probably wont be investing anymore time breaking it down or talking about it.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Trust me MMA disciple Dans striking is A Grade there arent too many guys asking to fight dan hardy. AJ knows whats up read his new sherdog comments below...
    His striking may be great, he has excellent timing - especially with counters, but his overal boxing game isn't at an elite level. He doesn't have great footwork or head movement and doesnt always keeps his hands up. Now of course this doesnt mean that he cant be elusive, and his desire to plant his feet and leave himself open at times is partly due to the fact that he likes to be cocky and egg on his opponnent so that he can counter with hooks as they rush in (Swick and Davis), and partly because he relied on a perceived "iron" chin, which as we all now know Condit has since dispelled.

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

The only variable in this fight that concerns me is the long lay off by Anthony Johnson. Besides that I have him winning easily....in every facet of the game.

teaserpleaser

Trust me i've seen Dan spar "Hard" with Paul Daley thiago Alves all these guys are A level elite strikers and Dan more than held his own. None of those guys are B level trust me. B level are guys like AJ beat none of those guys were close to top ten. If Dan Hardy is B level you have a tough scale. coinflip between him and paul daley on who is the best welter in all of europe.

teaserpleaser

Good luck with the fight to be honest i hope AJ smashes him... i really do trust me! I'll be like this cheering for AJ

teaserpleaser

vaughany are you from the UK?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

vaughany are you from the UK?
    Yeah, not a big Roughhouse fan tho!

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Yeah, not a big Roughhouse fan tho!

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

I'm just glad it's two guys i've heard of in the fight night card...... the last one was iffy at best.

xelance
    xelance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

iffy?? I thought the card was pretty solid with some well known fighters such as Evan Dunham, Melvin Guillard, Mitrione, Mark Hominick, Roop, Wiman, Yves Edwards...etc. I think they have done a pretty good job with these free cards.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by xelance View Post
    iffy?? I thought the card was pretty solid with some well known fighters such as Evan Dunham, Melvin Guillard, Mitrione, Mark Hominick, Roop, Wiman, Yves Edwards...etc. I think they have done a pretty good job with these free cards.
    ha yeah dude's got no idea what he's talkin about!

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

looking forward to this fight. I'll take Johnson too

Gravybaby
    Gravybaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like johnson to win but the long layoff is disconcerting. Maybe a prop bet would be best, hopefully 5dimes releases them soon.

teaserpleaser

Somebody tell me how the hell AJ cuts from 210 to 171? Thats crazy Guys cut 20 sometimes and are big alot of 185ers start at 210 thats nuts.

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Hardy will lose his 3rd in a row, Rumble is to big for him

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Somebody tell me how the hell AJ cuts from 210 to 171? Thats crazy Guys cut 20 sometimes and are big alot of 185ers start at 210 thats nuts.
    Easy, he stops at 175

12 Last