thealfa
    thealfa's Avatar Become A Pro!

which underdog fighter has a chance at winning in UFC 125?

I have not followed MMA or UFC as closely as boxing, so I am betting on the favorites, the one with the - (minus) next to their name. Which underdog has a chance though? I see a bunch of no-name fighters (aka bums) so I am not even sure if underdogs in MMA/UFC has a chance?

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

I will probably say Gomi has the best chance to win.

Jordan23

And trust me my friend underdogs win all the time in the UFC.. a lot of fighters are a product of the UFC "hype machine" so be careful not to get sucked into it. You just have to know fighters and matchups. That really doesn't come over night. You'll learn that styles make fights.

thealfa

underdogs win all the time? I hope that's true. I haven't followed MMA or UFC as closely as boxing so I wouldn't know. I know Brock Lesnar was hyped up to win but lost quick against an underdog, didn't he? Well for UFC 125, a lot of these fighters don't even ring a bell to me, so I am betting on the favorites. Who is Gomi? You say he has a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
    And trust me my friend underdogs win all the time in the UFC.. a lot of fighters are a product of the UFC "hype machine" so be careful not to get sucked into it. You just have to know fighters and matchups. That really doesn't come over night. You'll learn that styles make fights.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

I liked Gomi originally after hearing several interviews Guida and his camp have made it no secret that he does not intend on exchanging on the feet at all and will shoot for take downs and clinch up against the fence at every opportunity. Also, you have to assume that Greg Jackson and co. have prepared Guida well to avoid Gomi's big right hand.

The only dog I like remotely on this card is Frank Edgar.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 08-02-14 at 11:26 AM.

Jordan23

Quote Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
    underdogs win all the time? I hope that's true. I haven't followed MMA or UFC as closely as boxing so I wouldn't know. I know Brock Lesnar was hyped up to win but lost quick against an underdog, didn't he? Well for UFC 125, a lot of these fighters don't even ring a bell to me, so I am betting on the favorites. Who is Gomi? You say he has a chance?
    Yes you just have to know how to pick the underdogs.. The only bad thing is in MMA sometimes the judging will mess you up.

Jordan23

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    I liked Gomi originally after hearing several interviews Guida and his camp have made it no secret that he does not intend on exchanging on the feet at all and will shoot for take downs and clinch up against the fence at every opportunity. Also, you have to assume that Greg Jackson and co. have prepared Guida well to avoid Gomi's big right hand.

The only dog I like remotely on this card is Frank Edgar.
    I think Maynard is going to beat Edgar. I've made no secrets about that. But you never really know with Frankie. He is very good. The only question marks I have about Gray is whether or not he is going to gas in the championship rounds. He has never been in a 5 round fight.. and sparring for a 5 round fight and being in a 5 round title fight are 2 different things. If Gray doesn't gas I'm predicting he will win this fight 48-47.

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Frankie Edgar no question.

The difficulties he had with Maynard the first time around don't seem to be as much of a factor this time around, as those weaknesses would have been exploited as if not more effectively by BJ Penn, and we all know how those two matches turned out.

It was very evident in the UFC giving Edgar the shot at Penn initially over Maynard how they feel about these two fighters.

Maynard on the feet will get tooled if he can't get this to the ground. We heard all about his improved striking before the Nate Diaz fight, and honestly, he was inches away from losing the decision in my opinion against a guy who is treading water in the division because he decided to go AGAINST the game plan, stand up, and exhibit sloppy striking.

Edgar can really use his quickness to his advantage in this bout, and I expect him to retain his title.

This fight honestly did not excite me from the get, regardless of the 'revenge the loss' angle. I'm much more excited about the prospect of an Edgar/Pettis fight than the matchup taking place on this card.

Frankly, the value on this card pales to what i anticipate for the next one

robotralph
    robotralph's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Brian Stann has a great chance of hitting. Leben can hit hard, but he gasses out.

Stann has a lot more tools to win. Leben can throw bombs all three rounds while Stann can wrestle out a victory.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i think the better question would be,"which favorite do you feel strongly enough to open the wallet on?"........

and imo,that`s a tough question...this may be the ultimate underdog card....seems that every dog on this card is live...

if i were picking a fave that i felt most comfortable with,it would be grispi.....

i could be very wrong,but i`m very impressed by stoppage wins over guys like l.c. davis,micah miller and mark hominick....alll in the 1st round...

while poirier`s win over micklewright was also impressive,it`s not on the level of grispi`s recent stoppages....

i`ve been seriously impressed by this guy...he looks like a guy with "elite" potential...

the one worry is how he might fare if the fight gets extended.....he does have a heelhook loss and a maj. decision earlyier in his career...so that`s a concern...maybe i`m overrating him...we`ll see...

still,i like grispi enough to do what i seldom do(by seldom i mean once a year)...i`m laying the -250-ish....

hope i`m not whistling past the graveyard.....

happy new year to the braintrust...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 01-01-11 at 08:49 AM.

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i think the better question would be,"which favorite do you feel strongly enough to open the wallet on?"........

and imo,that`s a tough question...this may be the ultimate underdog card....seems that every dog on this card is live...

if i were picking a fave that i felt most comfortable with,it would be grispi.....

i could be very wrong,but i`m very impressed by stoppage wins over guys like l.c. davis,micah miller and mark hominick....alll in the 1st round...

while poirier`s win over micklewright was also impressive,it`s not on the level of grispi`s recent stoppages....

i`ve been seriously impressed by this guy...he looks like a guy with "elite" potential...

the one worry is how he might fare if the fight gets extended.....he does have a heelhook loss and a maj. decision earlyier in his career...so that`s a concern...maybe i`m overrating him...we`ll see...

still,i like grispi enough to do what i seldom do(by seldom i mean once a year)...i`m laying the -250-ish....

hope i`m not whistling past the graveyard.....

happy new year to the braintrust...

actually,i found an old tape of grispi in which his kicks got him in trouble vs a grappler by the name of bernardino....he was on his back the entire fight and imo,lost this fight......

i think i`m backing out of my straight play on grispi...i have him in a few parlays...but after seeing that video,i can`t justify laying the wood with a guy that gets taken down like that...and doesn`t show the ability to escape.....

i can afford to lose the pars if things go south....
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-13-15 at 04:36 PM. Reason: image does not exist

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

If you're looking for favorites like you said, the ones with the minus next to their name. Grispi -253 is a solid choice followed closely by Stephens -240. I just don't see how Davis can win this unless he gets really lucky. If you want an underdog the ones with plus next to their name Stann +140 and Vera +120 have a good chance to pull a small upset. If you look at the odds this is a really competitive card from top to bottom as there are no huge favorites.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

A lot of these matchups seem very competitive, at least on paper, both on the undercard and main card. As for which dogs are best, Nunes and Volkmann stand out to me on the undercard, Stann and Edgar on the main card.

Lincoln73
    Lincoln73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

marcus davis is a shot fighter. Lil Heathen is as sure a thing as you can find on this card.

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16896

Seriously, what's all this love for Nunes over MTB?

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

anything can happen I suppose, and Nunes isn't terrible and he is at or around +200. Brown has also not shown up to fight recently, that is probably fresh in people's minds.

I have Brown in a parlay, but I can understand why people are taking a shot on Nunes

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16896

"People" flinching I understand, but Hoff, Brooks and lasker have a controlling interest of sharp. And they're unanimous on Nunes?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by robotralph View Post
    Brian Stann has a great chance of hitting. Leben can hit hard, but he gasses out.

Stann has a lot more tools to win. Leben can throw bombs all three rounds while Stann can wrestle out a victory.
    I highly doubt Stann will wrestle his way to a victory, would be very happy if he did tho and took a decision!

GreatUnrest
    GreatUnrest's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gomi is the best dog imo. Vera has a shot too but I wouldn't bet it.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
    "People" flinching I understand, but Hoff, Brooks and lasker have a controlling interest of sharp. And they're unanimous on Nunes?
    They see value on it, since they only have to hit about 1/3 of these to make a small profit. I doubt very much that they would be on this play if it was Nunes at +145 or so. Just look at how many units they put on this play.

goblinburner
    yanks-1 1/2
    goblinburner's Avatar Become A Pro!

To be honest man its the main event i know it sounds crazy because of edgars last lost was against him. Maynard is stronger and a better wrestler but edgars guard is ridiculous and his cardio is way more improved from that fight. I could see him takeing down maynard to be honest it might be a quick ground and pound night night for maynard. Maynard stand up has improved but not enough to compete with edgar take edgar at even and call it a day

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

There are no "no name" fighters on this card....

Underdogs in MMA always have a chance. Some playbooks had Soukoudjou at +2500 when he knocked out Little Nog....+200's and lower win quite often.

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Quote Originally Posted by goblinburner View Post
    To be honest man its the main event i know it sounds crazy because of edgars last lost was against him. Maynard is stronger and a better wrestler but edgars guard is ridiculous and his cardio is way more improved from that fight. I could see him takeing down maynard to be honest it might be a quick ground and pound night night for maynard. Maynard stand up has improved but not enough to compete with edgar take edgar at even and call it a day
    I think ppl underestimate Grays TD's and wrestling. He has hit over 80% of his takedowns in the UFC, and was 8 of 10 on takedowns in their first fight. And Edgar isnt going to GnP Maynard out lol. I think this is a very close fight but that is a very unlikely outcome unless Edgar hurts him standing. He's not taking him down and finishing him IMO.

Pratik
    Pratik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4037

Do Marcus Davis! Theres no way Stevens is worth -270

thealfa

Nate Diaz vs. Kim? how come no one said a word about this fight? I heard of Diaz. Not Kim.

Poppa Catfish

so far all of them

rocky mattioli

so glad i backed out of my staright on grispi...guy had no stand-up...totally exposed...

that video i posted earlier in the thread was abviously sent from the gods...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    so glad i backed out of my staright on grispi...guy had no stand-up...totally exposed...

that video i posted earlier in the thread was abviously sent from the gods...
    ha yeah great decision Rocky! Main reason I avoided betting on him straight up was because I hadnt seen much of his stand-up. Most the guys he submitted initiatied the takedown which lead to the guillotine, Poirier was never going to look for a takedown and as far as I know Grispi doesnt have a high level wrestling background so didnt know whether he'd be able to takedown Poirier...and he didnt! So basicly to many unknowns!

Poppa Catfish

That was a very awkward pulling guard too, he has been exposed big time. Grispi should take on McGuillotine next. Catchweight