THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC on ESPN+ 14: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2 (August 10, 2019)

ESPN+, 8:00 pm ET
    Valentina Shevchenko vs Liz Carmouche
    Vicente Luque vs Mike Perry
    Humberto Bandenay vs Luiz Garagorri
    Ilir Latifi vs Volkan Oezdemir
    Oskar Piechota vs Rodolfo Vieira
    Enrique Barzola vs Bobby Moffett

ESPN, 5 pm ET
    Cyril Gane vs Raphael Pessoa
    Marina Rodriguez vs Tecia Torres
    Rogerio Bontorin vs Raulian Paiva
    Geraldo de Freitas vs Chris Gutierrez
    Ariane Carnelossi vs Taila Santos
    Alex da Silva vs Rodrigo Vargas
    Gilbert Burns vs Aleksei Kunchenko
    Veronica Macedo vs Polyana Viana

Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave THE_LOCKSMITH 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Thrilla

Pr0ph3t
    Pr0ph3t's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

It may not mean much, but Viana beat the brakes off of a male mugger in her homeland a few months ago...

Pr0ph3t

I have Viana, Oezdemir, Luque, and underdog Rodriguez. Good luck!

Teem
    Teem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3534

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0ph3t View Post
    It may not mean much, but Viana beat the brakes off of a male mugger in her homeland a few months ago...
    Forgot about that haha

jacharron17
    jacharron17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2608

Don't really like any moneylines for this event. May skip it, or bet on a total.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Yeah not a great card for betting imo.

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Valentina gonna smoke everybody at 25
    luque vs perry gonna be a ton of fun though ... super excited for that fight gonna be fireworks

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    Valentina gonna smoke everybody at 25
    luque vs perry gonna be a ton of fun though ... super excited for that fight gonna be fireworks
    I mean Carmouche did beat her in their first fight several years ago

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Pr0ph3t

Those are looking pretty good.

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    I mean Carmouche did beat her in their first fight several years ago
    meh in 2010 . completely different fight but i see some point...
    Valentina just by far the best 125 girl to me skill wise and its not even close
    didnt even know shes beaten jessica andrade too pretty crazy

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Event Background

UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2 (also known as UFC Fight Night 156 or UFC on ESPN+ 14) is an upcoming mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that is planned to take place on August 10, 2019 at Antel Arena in Montevideo, Uruguay.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9]

The event will mark the promotion's first visit to Montevideo and Uruguay.[10]

A UFC Women's Flyweight Championship bout between the reigning champion Valentina Shevchenko and former title challenger Liz Carmouche has been tabbed to headline the event.[11] The pairing met previously under a regional promotion banner in 2010 with Carmouche winning the first bout via second round TKO.[12] It remains the only stoppage loss in Shevchenko's professional MMA career, which dates back to 2003.

A light heavyweight bout between Volkan Oezdemir and Ilir Latifi was originally scheduled for June 1, 2019 at UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Smith. However, the bout was canceled after Latifi pulled out two days before the event due to a back injury[13] and the pairing was scheduled for UFC on ESPN: Covington vs. Lawler. In turn, the bout was then shifted to this event a week later after Oezdemir was faced with alleged vısa issues which affected his travel schedule.[14]

A lightweight bout between Rafael Fiziev and Alex da Silva was scheduled for the event; however, it was reported on July 24, 2019 that Fiziev had broken his foot and was forced to pull out of the event.[15] He was replaced by promotional newcomer Rodrigo Vargas.[16]

A flyweight bout between Veronica Macedo and Rachael Ostovich was scheduled for the event.[17] However, it was announced on July 29, 2019 that Ostovich was replaced by Polyana Viana for an undisclosed reason.[18]

A welterweight bout between Laureano Staropoli and Alexey Kunchenko was scheduled for the event. However, it was announced on July 29, 2019 that Staropoli was forced to pull out of the fight due to a broken nose[18] and he was replaced by Gilbert Burns.[19]

A flyweight bout between Taila Santos and Ariane Carnelossi was slated for the event; however, it was reported on July 29, 2019 that Santos was forced to pull out of the bout due to a wrist injury. UFC officials are seeking a replacement for Santos.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fi...s._Carmouche_2

Teem

Interested in Torres, Volkan, Gutierrez, And Viana
    Last edited by Teem; 08-06-19 at 08:02 PM.

magpie878
    magpie878's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7077

In NJ, DK doesn't even have Viana right now... and PointsBet still has the Ostovich matchup...

wtf

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11925

Yeah not a great card for betting imo.
    Not a great card for watching either.. Weakest card of the year so far IMO..

I'll still watch and bet it though

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Not a great card for watching either.. Weakest card of the year so far IMO..

I'll still watch and bet it though
    Any big leans?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Any big leans?
    Shlev by dec, Luque, and Volkan for starters. I haven't even started capping this event yet.. I'll get around to it on Friday when all the write ups come out..

Teem

Why is Viana the underdog?

magpie878
    magpie878's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7077

Quote Originally Posted by Teem View Post
    I can't remember where, I think when I was looking at sites' predictions, I saw her as the favorite. No idea what the offshores have, though.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

MMA Pros Pick

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Teem View Post

Poliana Botelho. Polyana Viana.

They're both the same person.

Enfuego
    Enfuego's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2459

Torres is my most confident pick of the card. Why Rodriguez?

Pr0ph3t

Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
    Torres is my most confident pick of the card. Why Rodriguez?
    11-0-1. Her opponents are a combined 83-38. Crazy reach advantage. BusyBody.

Torres has the better resume and is a Tornado. Gun to my head MaxBet and I have Tecia. $30 SlapYoMama parlay, and I’m throwing in Rodriguez. Good luck!

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I like these pro pick vids you post keep it up Thrilla!!!

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Prelim write ups MMA MANIA -

135 lbs.: Geraldo de Freitas vs.
    Chris Gutierrez

The six-fight, pre-UFC win streak for Geraldo de Freitas (12-4) included four finishes and earned him the Shooto Brasil Bantamweight title in 2017. He temporarily moved up to Featherweight this past February for his UFC debut, which saw him out-class Team Nogueira product Felipe Colares in Fortaleza.
    “Spartan” will have a three-inch reach advantage.
    Chris Gutierrez (13-3-1) cut his teeth in Bellator, World Series of Fighting (WSOF) and LFA before making his Octagon debut in Nov. 2018 against Raoni Barcelos, who powered through a cut to submit “El Guapo” late in the second stanza. He returned to action in March with a dominant decision over late replacement Ryan MacDonald in Nashville.
    He has knocked out six professional foes and submitted one other.
    Gutierrez is a beast on the feet, but he’s historically struggled mightily with quality wrestlers, a byproduct of his tendency to throw kicks without setup. De Freitas, who dominated a solid takedown artist in Colares, looks poised to exploit this, especially since Gutierrrez won’t have his usual height advantage.
    If “El Guapo” can get his low kicks going early as he did against MacDonald, he’s got a real shot at victory. More likely, though, de Freitas consistently bullies him to the ground whenever Gutierrez tries to get his leg assault flowing. In short, strong top control wins it for the Brazilian.
    Prediction: de Freitas via unanimous decision
    Related
    UFC Uruguay Official Poster For ‘Shevchenko vs Carmouche 2’

155 lbs.: Alex da Silva vs. Rodrigo Vargas

Alex da Silva (20-2) racked up an 18-fight win streak — all but three of which ended in the first round — before dropping a decision to Jakub Kowalewicz in Mumbai. After bouncing back with two more first-round stoppages, “Leko” stepped up on short notice to face Alexander Yakovlev in April, tapping to a Schultz headlock late in the second.
    He has knocked out 13 pro opponents and submitted another seven.
    Mexico’s Rodrigo Vargas (11-2) enters the Octagon with victories in seven of his last eight fights, among them a first-round finish of future “Contender Series” competitor Jordan Williams. His most recent fight, which took place in May 2018, saw him flatten UFC veteran Mike De La Torre with an 18-second head kick.
    “Kazula” steps in for the injured Rafael Fiziev on less than two weeks’ notice.
    Vargas isn’t some random fill-in UFC picked out of a hat — he’s a legitimately solid fighter, a well-rounded southpaw with great clinch takedowns and a knack for getting off of his back. He’s also a massive stylistic departure from da Silva’s original opponent, making him a serious threat.
    Not that serious, though.
    da Silva’s the faster and heavier-handed of the two, and though his takedown defense has failed him before, Vargas doesn’t have Yakovlev’s physicality or top-level experience. Da Silva ends a wild, back-and-forth battle with a big shot late in the first.
    Prediction: da Silva via first-round technical knockout
    Related
    COMING. UP. NEXT!

170 lbs.: Alexey Kunchenko vs. Gilbert Burns

Alexey Kunchenko (20-0) battered his way to M-1 Welterweight gold in 2016 with a fourth-round finish of Murad Abdulaev, then scored four successful defenses on his way to the Octagon. “Wolverine” successfully debuted in Sept. 2018 with a decision over Thiago Alves, then overpowered Yushin Okami in Adelaide three months later.
    Twelve of his 14 stoppage wins have come via (technical) knockout.
    Gilbert Burns (15-3) opened his UFC career perfect (3-0) with two post-fight bonuses before hitting a 3-3 stretch, capped off by a knockout loss to Dan Hooker. He has since bounced back with victories over Olivier Aubin-Mercier and Mike Davis, after which he announced his intention to return to Welterweight.
    “Durinho” replaces Argentina’s Laureano Staropoli, who suffered a broken nose in training, on 11 days’ notice.
    Well, I’m glad Burns isn’t cutting 30 pounds to make weight anymore, though I will miss watching him Hulk his way through the Lightweight division. Kunchenko will be a hell of a litmus test for “Durinho’s” prospects at 170 pounds, though — the Russian’s quality takedown defense and dangerous short-range bruising present a serious problem for Burns, who’s improved his boxing but is still more a slugger than a technician.
    We’ve seen Burns hurt before and I’m not sure how effective his takedowns will be without his customary massive size advantage. He’s absolutely a live dog and could finish Kunchenko anywhere, but his historical struggles with larger men have me thinking “Wolverine” catches him in the pocket after stuffing some takedowns.
    Prediction: Kunchenko by second-round technical knockout
    Related
    Oezdemir vs Latifi Is On The Move ... Again

125 lbs.: Polyana Viana vs. Veronica Macedo

Polyana Viana (10-3) entered the Octagon last year with the Jungle Fight Strawweight title under her belt and made an immediate impression with a first-round submission of Maia Kahaunaele-Stevenson. She has yet to taste victory since, dropping successive upset decisions to J.J. Aldrich and Hannah Cifers.
    She replaces the injured Rachael Ostovich on less than two weeks’ notice.
    Venezuela’s Veronica Macedo (5-3-1) rattled off five consecutive professional victories after a pair of amateur knockouts, knocking out and submitting one opponent each. She makes this walk this Saturday 0-3 in the UFC, fighting just three times in the past three years because of injury.
    She’ll give up three inches of height and reach to the 5’7” Viana.
    Viana really, really should have won her last two UFC fights. She’s got world-class Brazilian jiu-jitsu, but a combination of poor wrestling and equally poor game-planning has left her unable to utilize it. Luckily for her, Macedo’s takedown defense is her biggest weakness; she’s been dragged to the mat at least twice in all three of her UFC bouts, and Viana really only needs to get her down once.
    “Dama de Ferra” has two potential pitfalls in front of her: the weight disadvantage and her own tendency to throw away winnable fights. The skill disparity and style match up are far enough in her favor to offset that concern, though. In other words, Viana taps her quick.
    Prediction: Viana via first-round submission

265 lbs.: Ciryl Gane vs. Raphael Pessoa

Ciryl Gane (3-0) — France’s most notable Heavyweight export since Francis Ngannou — brought a strong Muay Thai pedigree into his MMA debut in 2018. “Bon Gamin” claimed the TKO Heavyweight title with a technical knockout of Adam Dyczka less than two months later, then defended his title in May with another first-round finish.
    He stands two inches taller than Raphael Pessoa (9-0) at 6’5.”
    Pessoa opened his professional career with eight fights in less than 12 months, five of which ended in the first round. He made his stateside debut in Sept. 2018 under the LFA banner, where he knocked out journeyman Brian Heden in 99 seconds.
    Three of his six (technical) knockout victories have come in less than one minute.
    Gane is worth getting excited about — he reminds me somewhat of a supersized Israel Adesanya, an in-and-out sniper with solid power and a lightness of foot you just don’t see in this division. He’s a match for anyone in the Octagon on the feet. As always, though, his ability to stay there will determine his future.
    Though I couldn’t find much footage of Pessoa, a written account of a recent fight suggests he can grapple if needed. Gane just out-classes him so badly on the feet that I can’t pick against him. “Bon Gamin” clips him partway through the first and puts him away with knees in the clinch.
    Prediction: Gane via first-round technical knockout
    Related
    Ostovich, Three Others, Forced Out Of UFC Uruguay

115 lbs.: Tecia Torres vs. Marina Rodriguez

Tecia Torres (10-4) went 1-2 on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 20 despite being one of the top seeds, but established herself as a top contender by starting her Octagon career 6-1. “The Tiny Tornado” has since lost three straight, twice to former/future champions and most recently to top contender Weili Zhang in March.
    She will give up 6” of height and 6.5” of reach to her Brazilian foe.
    Nine consecutive victories earned Marina Rodriguez (11-0-1) a spot on “Contender Series: Brazil,” where she beat down Maria Oliveira to claim a contract. She survived a 10-8 first round to fight Randa Markos to a draw in her Octagon debut, then overpowered late replacement Jessica Aguilar for her inaugural UFC victory in March.
    She has knocked out five professional opponents and submitted another two.
    Torres is probably on the least-damning, three-fight losing streak in recent memory. That’s because all three of the women who beat her are division elites. Even if her ceiling’s proven lower than the very peak, she’s still a damn good fighter.
    So is Rodriguez, to be fair, but she hasn’t proven herself a class above the sort that Torres consistently beats.
    Though Rodriguez’s length will give “The Tiny Tornado” issues, Torres is no stranger to being the smaller fighter and has the wrestling to recreate Markos’ early success. Torres’ blended wrestling offsets her striking difficulties enough to earn her the decision.
    Prediction: Torres via unanimous decision
    Related
    UFC Uruguay Official Poster For ‘Shevchenko vs Carmouche 2’

125 lbs.: Raulian Paiva vs. Rogerio Bontorin

Raulian Paiva (18-2) brought an 11-fight win streak, capped off by a 58-second finish of UFC veteran Iliarde Santos, into “Contender Series: Brazil.” After narrowly edging Allan Nascimento, Paiva took on Kai Kara-France in Australia, losing a razor-close decision for his first defeat since 2015.
    He stands two inches taller than Rogerio Bontorin (15-1) at 5’8.”
    Bontorin — whose only professional defeat came against former UFC competitor Michinori Tanaka — came back from near-disaster to submit Gustavo Gabriel and earn a contract on “Contender Series: Brazil.” He was thrown to the wolves in his UFC debut against Magomed Bibulatov, but defied the odds to claim a split decision victory.
    Eight of his 11 submission wins have come by rear-naked choke.
    This strikes me as a case where one fighter is better on the whole, but faces a serious stylistic issue. Bontorin’s greatest weapon is his killer Brazilian jiu-jitsu, but Paiva has incredible defensive wrestling and scrambling ability, making it likely that we’ll see a striking battle. Though Bontorin can hold his own, Paiva’s relentlessness and superior volume ostensibly gives him the edge.
    Bontorin has more weapons and — though he did get cracked on “Contender Series” — is probably the more likely of the two to get a finish. Just because Paiva’s game is more straightforward, however, doesn’t mean it won’t work. Paiva sprawls, pressures and lands enough power punches to eke out the win.
    Prediction: Paiva via split decision
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Pr0ph3t

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Poliana Botelho. Polyana Viana.
    They're both the same person.
    Viana got liver shots like this?

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/997999785658404864?s=21

Enfuego
    Enfuego's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2459

11-0-1. Her opponents are a combined 83-38. Crazy reach advantage. BusyBody.

Torres has the better resume and is a Tornado. Gun to my head MaxBet and I have Tecia. $30 SlapYoMama parlay, and I’m throwing in Rodriguez. Good luck!
    On the regional scene fighting cans.

Sanity Check

Talia Santos pulled out with a wrist injury.

I wish.

Viana has good ground game, if I remember right.

In past UFC fights, she never improved her wrestling to get fights to the ground and is prone towards being beat on the feet.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I like these pro pick vids you post keep it up Thrilla!!!
    It's not for racist white supremacists so fukk you.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

WEigh-INs

jacharron17
    jacharron17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2608

On Under 1.5 Mike Perry vs Vicente Luque at +155
    Also put a unit on Mike Perry at +200 but wouldn't bet him at less than +190.
    Last edited by jacharron17; 08-09-19 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Wrong line.

Sanity Check

Thinking about going all in on Valentina.

-1200 or whatever she's at.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Thinking about going all in on Valentina.

-1200 or whatever she's at.
    Noob

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    It's not for racist white supremacists so fukk you.
    These kind of posts is why we love you Thrilla.. .. lol.

I'm Italian and not fully white just for the record pal, my skin is dark especially in summer time like right now.. Might pass as a black man today..

Back to MMA.. Weigh ins... Any obvious signs? I'm not seeing much..

1234 ... Last