Boxing - Big Play with Analysis

"Sugar" Shane Mosely (USA)
    47-8-1 (39 KO's)

Vs.

Anthony "the Man" Mundine (Australia)
    44-5 (26 KO's)

(Vacant) WBC light middleweight title fight

Sydney Entertainment Centre (Australia)

So 7 time, 3 division world champion Sugar Shane; now way past his best at 42 and coming off 3 losses in his last 5 fights, is travelling down to Australia to fight Anthony Mudine in his own backyard, who is 4 years younger and has faster hand speed. Mosely will earn a million for this fight and many think he is just here for the pay day, as has been a recent trend with ageing fighters like Roy Jones jr and Frans Botha recently making the trip down to Australia for a pay day.

Mundine is the favourite at -125, although the odds are starting to even up as money continues to flow in for Mosley. So does Mundine deserve to be the favourite?

At first glance his record is impressive, 44-5 with 26 KO's, however let me tell you something about Mundine. He is an ex-rugby league player who has always had a bad temper and been full of himself, and his father Tony is a famous Australian boxing trainer, so it was inevitable that Mundine would get into boxing at some point. Since the very beginning of his boxing career his fights have been carefully managed, first through his management cherry picking his fights (what is called massaging a record) and then as a result of a weak resume then not being able to get the big fights he claims he wanted/deserved.

This guy is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. I mean he truly believes if he beats Mosely that Saul Alvarez will fight him, and that Mayweather will notice him - WTF? Like Mayweather even knows who this guy is? And why would anyone in their right mind volunteer to get into the ring with Mayweather unless you were truly world class and at the top of your game. Saying you stepped into the ring with Floyd means nothing if all anyone remembers is how badly you were beaten. Mundine has failed on the rare chances he has had to actually fight decent fighters - notice I said decent fighters and not great.

Mundine vs.

Sven Ottke - was beaten up and KO'ed
    Manny Siaca - put up a good fight but still lost a SD
    Mikkel Kessler - UD loss. Totally outclassed.
    Danny Green - his 1 and only career defining victory (7 years ago)
    Daniel Geale #1 - Mundine took a highly controversial SD in a fight where the previously unbeaten Geale clearly out boxed him.
    Daniel Geale #2 - Order was resorted to Australian boxing and Geale gave "the man" a good old fashioned boxing lesson. Convincing victory.

On the other side of the coin Shane Mosely has been in the ring with the who's who of the boxing world. Win or lose he has squared off against Holiday, Molina, De La Hoya x 2, Forrest x 2, Winky Wright x 2, Vargas x 2, Cotto, Mayorga, Margarito, Mayweather, Mora, Paquiao, and Alvarez. That is the most rediculously stacked boxing resume you could find. I say win or lose as just to get into the ring with many of these guys you have to be at a certain level (a level that is way out of Mundine's reach).

In a recent perhaps similar case of an old champion coming to Australia for a payday we had the "White Buffalo" Frans Botha, who at 45 was fat and far from in shape fighting the insanely athletic 28 year old Sonny Bll Williams. A fat 45 year old white guy fighting a physically imposing (think of a white Lebron James) guy who was undefeated in his first 5 fights and 17 years his junior. On paper it looked real bad for the White Buffalo, yet despite SBW dominating the fight early with speed and movement, Botha actually got stronger as the fight wore on and was within seconds of knocking SBW out at the end of the 10th round when the bell sounded. It was supposed to be a 12 round fight and SBW would have been in a world of hurt and lucky if he survived the 11th and 12th rounds, however in a monumental fukc up the fight was stopped after 10 and SBW declared the winner on points.

The moral of the story - Botha has fought every big name heavyweight in the era when the heavyweights dominated boxing (Tyson, Lewis, Hollyfield, Moorer, etc) and despite losing most of those fights, his class and world class experience shone through against the younger, faster, stronger fighter who was meant to make short work of him. A classic gulf in class fight.

There is a saying in boxing - "A great old boxer will beat a good young boxer" and this saying holds true probably 8 or 9 times out of every 10.

Mosely is definitely a "great old boxer" and Mundine is also a "good young boxer", except that Mundine isn't actually that young. He is 38, only 4 years younger than Mosely, so why they are making a big deal about Mosely's age I have no idea?

Mundine is good no doubt, but he will NEVER be anywhere close to great. He has excellent hand speed and footwork, this is his main strength, however he lacks KO power and gets way too cocky, leaves his hands down too low, has a very suspect chin, and can disappear for 2-3 rounds at a time during fights.

Mosely has never been stopped and Mundine doesn't have real KO power, so is he going to do what guys like Alvarez, Pacquiao, Margarito, etc could not? Not a chance. This fight will most likely be decided by the judges score cards, and Mundine is probably slightly faster than Mosely but nowhere near as experienced, despite having boxed only 17 less rounds over his career than Mosely - it's the quality of the rounds boxed that counts.

Mosely has gone the distance against (or KO'ed) every big name fighter of his era. Who the fukc is Anthony Mundine? Do you Americans and Euro's even know who he is? The gulf in class is massive, it really is. Mosely has ring savvy, he is smarter, and he will dictate the fight and the pace. In Mundine's last fight Daniel Geale easily dictated the pace of the fight and he also is not at Mosely's level.

Remember Mosely's last 4 losses were against Mayweather, Alvarez, Cotto and Pacquiao, there is no shame in losing to these guys, and in between these losses he has solid victories over Mayorga, Margarito (greatest win of his career) and (in his comeback fight) this year over Cano in his last fight. Mundine would struggle to go the distance against most (if not all) of these guys. Again the gulf in class shows.

So the main concern with Mosely is that he has seriously slowed down, not as much his fighting but in his speech, I.e - brain damage? According to Mosely himself, a plethora of neurosurgeons and doctors say he is fine and more than capable of fighting. In his most recent interview on Australia's Fox Sports he sounded alert and fine to me, as usual probably just media hype. In reality probably he has slowed down, he is 42 after all, although Mundine is no spring chicken at 38 himself, and once again these are minor factors that I fully believe will be offset by the large gulf in class between the two fighters.

Mosely has bought Sergio Mora with him to Sydney as a sparring partner, a good sign that he is taking this fight seriously and is not just here for the pay day

Mosely is tough, real tough, and he hits hard, harder than Mundine. He will probably look to get inside of Mundine's slight reach advantage and rough him up and unsettle him. Mundine likes to fight from the outside as he flashy and likes to show off his hand speed. He thinks he is Muhammed Ali and constantly leaves his hands down, backing his speed and head movement. Mosely has a plenty big ego himself, and will not let Mundine get away with any show boating and will take it as an insult if Mundine does leave his guard down. Did I mention Mosely hits hard?

I could go on about this fight all day. I love boxing, always have, but I think I have said enough. You get the point - I'm quite confident Mosely takes this fight and that the odds are wrong. Mundine opened a -135 favourite, completely ridiculous. Mosely should be the -125 favourite for this fight in my humble opinion and you can still get him at +105 at some books although his price is dropping.

(My unit range is 1-5, so a 4 unit bet is a large wager for me)

4* Shane Mosely (+105/$2.05 Sportsbet/IAS Bet)
    Points Awarded:

Louisvillekid1 gave sando 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

elPkay gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Crowing Capers gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Ra77er gave sando 200 SBR Point(s) for this post.

J_smiff gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sacky gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

snufflyjoe gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

the tross gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

trigga50 gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

feldy gave sando 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 7 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1, J_smiff, trigga50, feldy, hougigo, Jago2008, and Cookie Monster

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

can't believe mosely's still fighting.

probably have to pay bills to his exwives...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I thought Mosley retired also

Sando great write up although I doubt IAS takes big bets as they have changed there model once Paddy bought them more of a UK model now

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Sando always enjoy the posts

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Man this is why i love sando, guys top notch. Win or lose how can you not respect this?? This is what its all about right here, hats off to you sando,solid work yet again.

elPkay
    elPkay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Insane writeup! Thanks for the insight and your pick

OZnBa Fan
    OZnBa Fan's Avatar Become A Pro!

World class sando

sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I've spent so much time thinking about this fight that I had a ton of thoughts floating around in my head and thought I may as well get them out on put them on paper.

Not sure what American books have markets, maybe Bookmaker? 5 Dimes will probably put up a market if you ask them? (Not sure if they've already got a market up)?

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

5dimes

Light Middleweight 12 rounds - Entertainment Center - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Tue 10/22 101 Shane Mosley +100
    5:00AM 102 Anthony Mundine -130
    Points Awarded:

sando gave beermankirk 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

fitguy67
    blessed be the cheesemakers
    fitguy67's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3358

Sando, i am a flat TO WIN 1-unit bettor...given my respect for you, and your enthusiasm about this particular fight, I will make a very rare exception in this case and put on a bet to win 2units. Found it at +108 at a nice super-square book, sport interaction (a similar "out" to Bodog, but works nicely with Skrill--which Bodog dropped last year with no warning).

In the MMA department, I noticed--while shopping for Mosley--that JDS has tightened considerably over the last few days...from +200 when I posted to now just +170...I'm not a line-watching/BTCL-weenie but sure hope it's due to an injection of "smart" money and translates into an increased likelihood of a pleasant surprise for a "value bettor" (aka. someone stupid enough to consistently bet on the guy/team he often doesn't really expect to win) such as myself

Further down the betting road, I think GSP is an under-valued big favorite...("MMA math" via common opponent Condit plus fact that GSP's TDD is miles better than Condit's)...at these odds very worth the risk of a surprise, given Hendrick's sole "connect with a haymaker" shot at screwing things up. Value usually lies with the dogs...but certainly not always...sometimes it's the dog who is over-valued (as Hendricks is here) and you gotta ingest some chalk to be on the right side things.
    Last edited by fitguy67; 10-16-13 at 09:37 PM.

Shifty107
    Shifty107's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I was hoping your play would be on Allan Green tonight Sando. I think Caparello will be way over matched in this one

DoYouNotGetIT
    DoYouNotGetIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Margarito was a fraud any wins that guy has are fake. Mundine will have the judges in his back pocket since it is in Australia. Both are probably on PEDs since Mosley is 42 and Mundine 38. I agree that Mosley is the pick, but hometown cooking could ruin you here. Neither are getting knocked out this is going to decision. If one person gets knocked out in this fight their career is done and wager a lot of money on the otherside in their next fight. Mosley has never been knocked out by much better boxers and doesn't have any power left at 42.

Ohhsnap
    Ohhsnap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Goodluck sando,
    I'm going with mundine on points.
    I know Mosley has a strong chin but I believe thats led him to take plenty more damage in his last couple of fights. There were a few videos off him slurring his words and looking really out of it. He does have the power to ko mundine but his reaction time has slowed down so much I worry bout him landing anything solid. Was a huge fan of his but should of retired a long time ago. Mundines team would off only picked Mosley cause they knew choc had a very good chance of winning. both past their primes but still looking forward to the fight.

MrXYZ
    MrXYZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3627

Easily the best writeup I've ever read on SBR. Great work Sando, this proves why you're the best capper on here.

sando

Wow Mosely into -142 ($1.70) at some books, crazy line movement. Even Sportsbet/IAS where I made the play he has dropped from +105 into -130 ($1.77).

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Sbw is not a boxer. Botha was on roids. Otherwise good report. Personally I'm on mundine.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papageorgio View Post
    Sbw is not a boxer. Botha was on roids. Otherwise good report. Personally I'm on mundine.
    Hold off til the last day and you'll get a better price mate. All the money is now coming for Mosely.

Sarunas
    Sarunas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

not is dead?

make crawl up from the cemetery box and make throw the punch on the other man of fighting. is impress!

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

That is the plan sandro. All the usa bettors barley finding out Shane is fighting. The $$ will come on on him out of name recognition.

sando

Un-fukcing believable. Fukcing boxing. So much hard work down the drain... Was so looking forward to seeing Mundine KTFO

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Apparently shady business with money.
    Honestly...700k and 1mil to Mosley/Mundine sounded like too much.
    Event only sold 1.5k tickets and there was no way money would have been made from this

sando

Fight's back on and it's in approx 7 hours. Just a heads up if any of you Americans want to watch a legend of the sport (Mosley) go around for one of the last times.

Here's a few links where you should be able to stream (but not in HD)

http://cricfree.tv/live-boxing-streaming-ch7.php

http://www.feed2all.eu/

http://www.lshunter.net/

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

great thread and shit....no doubt...its sad to see some of these guys still hanging on....i dont know about roy and his financial well being.....i know hes got a gig .....so you wonder if roy was still trying to hang on to his glory days....with shane....you know jin took him to the cleaners and its sad.....its sad to see these legends have to go overseas for stuff like this in the first place....

duendz
    Update your status
    duendz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 172

washed up..

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Fantastic write up Sando.

Unfortunately you don't take unto consideration the judges,this
    fight has "FIXED" written all over it.

I don't trust Boxing,if it goes the distance then you're up against
    those ozzie judges.

Mercersux
    Mercersux's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like the write up. I'm on the other side. See Mundine using the jab to get through a few rounds then by that point Mosley should break down. Can't imagine the 2x trips to Australia will help the Mosley either. I do wish i could hedge the Mudine pick with a Mosley ko prop but none to be had. Basically you have the better boxer (Mundine) vs bigger punching power (Mosley). Banking that Mundine shows up in shape and gets through 12. Venue don't hurt with a decision either (Australia).

Mickey Finn
    'We're from Philadelphia and we fight.'
    Mickey Finn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

Thanks for the writeup. Looking forward to this.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

why such drastic change in odds?

weren't they virtually pick'em before?

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

mundine @2.40 for me feel like Mosley doesn't give a f about the fight just wants the money while mundine is desperate to put his own cash up he knows his last chance

Jago2008
    SoCal Living
    Jago2008's Avatar Become A Pro!

I know I'm being redundant by saying great write-up here. But damn, great write-up.
    Not sure if I'll make a play, but I can say I learnt something about a sport I really had no idea about.

I hope you cash.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by MiDNiTe View Post
    mundine @2.40 for me feel like Mosley doesn't give a f about the fight just wants the money while mundine is desperate to put his own cash up he knows his last chance
    With Mundine you are spot on, he is so desperate for this fight he is allegedly taking a 600K loss, which does slightly concern me, however Mosley is not just here for the pay day, as he has bought Sergio Mora down for the second time as his sparring partner (doesn't come cheap) and has also been sparring against the boxer who knows Mundine better than all others - Sam Soliman (fought Mundine 3 times). These are serious intensive sparring sessions. Mosley has a massive ego. Is this about the money - sure - everybody's gotta eat, but unlike Roy Jones Jr, no way does Mosley just lay down, and no offence to Mercersux, but no way in hell is Mundine a better boxer than Mosley. All Mundine has on his side is a slight speed advantage and 4 years younger, that's it. Mosely is stronger, smarter, more experienced, hits a lot harder, has a proven iron chin, never been stopped.

Greg242
    Greg242's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6854

Did this fight happen yet???

dink
    dink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Not yet, 1 fight to until the main event

dink
    dink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

2nd last fight is done, mundine v mosley up next. want me to update?

123 Last