19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

Irish bookmaker Has Refunded All Pacquiao Bets

Paddy pays back punters after Pacquiao defeat

It was a result that stunned the world, even by modern professional boxing standards.

Last night in Las Vegas the brilliant Filipino Manny Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight belt to Timothy Bradley in a controversial split-decision defeat.

With that Paddy Power has rolled out one of our famous Justice Payouts. If you had placed a bet on Manny to win in a pre-fight outright or on points, that money is now back in your account. We Hear You!

Judge Jerry Roth awarded the fight to Pacquiao. CJ Ross and Duane Ford gave it to Bradley, from California. The crowd responded with boos after 12 rounds which Pacquiao dominated.

As ever, Pacquiao was diplomatic about the decision. ”You know I respect the decision but 100 per cent I believe I won the fight,” he said.

New welterweight champion Bradley, in a wheelchair after injuring his ankle during the fight, wants a November rematch.

“I’m happy, I’m the new welterweight champion. My team and I, we did it baby and I told you that we were going to shock the world and I definitely would like to do this again,” he said.

“I heard the boos at the end of the night which is ok, but we need to definitely do this again in November and let’s make it more decisive for everybody,” he added.

Paddy Power Blog reporter Lee Dover had tipped up the unfancied Bradley in his pre-fight report, here.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

did they pay the bradley winners also or cancelled them?

showdown
    showdown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

You can be pretty sure they paid the Bradley winners too, Paddy Power is decent like that. Very surprised they refunded bets though as they didn't have too. But this isn't the first time they have done things like this. Helps increase there reputation and deservedly so if they refunded bets

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/10...-pacquiao-bets
    Last edited by showdown; 06-10-12 at 05:59 PM.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

good pr for the book

DeFactoCrippler
    DEFACTO© SAVES IDIOTS AND GONZOIDS
    DeFactoCrippler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Publicity stunt. They only take mickey mouse bets anyway so they have obviously calculated that this will be a profitable move.

showdown

Quote Originally Posted by DeFactoCrippler View Post
    Publicity stunt. They only take mickey mouse bets anyway so they have obviously calculated that this will be a profitable move.
    So 1000+ is a mickey mouse bet? Wish i was a big timer like you

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

Wish I had a Paddypower account. IIRC, I tried checking them out before but they don't accept Canadians.

PR move or not, that shows a lot of integrity to refund Pacquiao backers when everyone else abides by the "tough luck, crooked/shitty decisions are part of the risks of sports betting" mantra.

Good on them. If I could get an account there I'd be betting on Paddypower in a heartbeat.

DeFactoCrippler

Quote Originally Posted by showdown View Post
    So 1000+ is a mickey mouse bet? Wish i was a big timer like you
    The only person they would take a bet that size from is a habitual loser. They habitually ban or limit players for winning only a few hundred. You think they are doing this ou of the kindness of their hearts? lol. They refunded a bunch of $50 bets to the -EV players they allow at the book as a publicity stunt. Btw, in the scheme of things, if a book limits players to $1000 on a title fight like that, let alone banning players for winning a few hundred, then yes it is mickey mouse.

Paddy Power has also been criticised for not paying out on bets with large odds. In 2009 when Shane Lowry won the Irish Open Paddy Power stated that it would not pay out on the 3000/1 odds which had initially been offered and instead reached 'an arrangement' with those involved.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I doubt they took much action on Bradley and therefore probably are not losing much on it. Plus, PP figures if you are going to bet high juice public favs even in boxing, you'll probably give it all back sooner or later.

Good PR move though.

DeFactoCrippler

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    I doubt they took much action on Bradley and therefore probably are not losing much on it. Plus, PP figures if you are going to bet high juice public favs even in boxing, you'll probably give it all back sooner or later.

Good PR move though.
    Thinking about it, they probably just voided Pac in a bunch of parlays, many of which lost probably lost regardless.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14864

I'm sure all of that refunded money and then some will be lost betting the Euro anyway

showdown

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post

Good PR move though.
    That's just stupid, if that's the case why didn't all other books that didn't take much action refund bets.

PP have done this stuff plenty of times they appreciate their customers and this from someone who doesn't even play there now, did years ago and never had a problem. Just never liked there odds better to be had elsewhere

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Quote Originally Posted by showdown View Post
    That's just stupid, if that's the case why didn't all other books that didn't take much action refund bets.

PP have done this stuff plenty of times they appreciate their customers and this from someone who doesn't even play there now, did years ago and never had a problem. Just never liked there odds better to be had elsewhere
    Many reasons...maybe they didn't think of the idea? Maybe they didn't have sufficient market research complete to determine if this PR move would be worth enough marketing dollars for them to increase their costs?

showdown

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post
    Many reasons...maybe they didn't think of the idea? Maybe they didn't have sufficient market research complete to determine if this PR move would be worth enough marketing dollars for them to increase their costs?
    Do some research they have done it loads of times. I know its hard to believe but some books in Europe appreciate there players whether they be winners or losers.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Back in Sparta we have a saying for when this type of thing happens...

DublinMeUp
    DublinMeUp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 176

Again Defacto has hit hit the nail on the head here, PP (my local book, ie they have a branch 2 mins from my house) are experts at this type of publicity.

But, they are also experts at culling profitable bettors. I doubt they had much liability at all and as one poster said, because they only allow losing players to keep playing they will get every cent of those refunds back in the next few days

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

they give me every week $5 free, 1x rollover, i have not deposited there since 6 months....