trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

simple question can bitcoin wallet addresses have up to 42 digits?

simple question can bitcoin wallet addresses have up to 42 characters?

the base info Ive always heard and I supposed used is this
    A Bitcoin address, or simply address, is an identifier of 27-34 alphanumeric characters, beginning with the number 1, 3 or bc1

Ive noticed in blockchain private wallet addresses to receive what is generated has 42 digits, numbers now. like they are longer.

reason I ask is im using that wallet address to ask for bitcoin funds but when that 42 digit number is put (copied paste) in the blank on vendor side it flags it and says "does not look like a bitcoin address" because it too long.

so just a bit worried to go with that address and hit submit as it flagging it.

any thoughts?

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

a work around of course is to use a past normal 27-34 wallet address, then when it arrive in blockchain transfer that to the more secure private key wallet address through the blockchain, just seems and extra step, extra fees, and more lines.

if you want to withdraw or ask for bitcoins to blockchain can you just use this 42 digit format and not confuse the blockchain and the transaction? or do you somehow convert the 42 digit wallet address into the standard 27-34 digit format and use that.

Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19203

34 characters is usually the limit for Bitcoin (unless that wiki is outdated). Monero addresses can be very large.

Have you tried sending $10 worth?

(Edit: I think that wiki is incorrect/out of date. Tested my Trezor and it is generating 62 character (!) "bc1" addresses.)
    Last edited by Arky; 01-11-22 at 11:35 AM.

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15360

Quote Originally Posted by Arky View Post
    34 characters is usually the limit for Bitcoin (unless that wiki is outdated). Monero addresses can be very large.

Have you tried sending $10 worth?

(Edit: I think that wiki is incorrect/out of date. Tested my Trezor and it is generating 62 character (!) "bc1" addresses.)
    P2WSH addresses are 62 characters.

raiders72001

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    simple question can bitcoin wallet addresses have up to 42 characters?

the base info Ive always heard and I supposed used is this
    A Bitcoin address, or simply address, is an identifier of 27-34 alphanumeric characters, beginning with the number 1, 3 or bc1

Ive noticed in blockchain private wallet addresses to receive what is generated has 42 digits, numbers now. like they are longer.

reason I ask is im using that wallet address to ask for bitcoin funds but when that 42 digit number is put (copied paste) in the blank on vendor side it flags it and says "does not look like a bitcoin address" because it too long.

so just a bit worried to go with that address and hit submit as it flagging it.

any thoughts?
    42 is a SegWit address. They can be up to 90 characters.
    Points Awarded:

Arky gave raiders72001 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

is there any times or reasons where you should not or cant provide and use a bitcoin segwit 42 digit wallet address? anything wrong with providing that code ?

I see some exchanges dont send bitcoin to a segwit address and maybe some books? why is that?

raiders72001

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    is there any times or reasons where you should not or cant provide and use a bitcoin segwit 42 digit wallet address? anything wrong with providing that code ?

I see some exchanges dont send bitcoin to a segwit address and maybe some books? why is that?
    Some books and exchanges don't support native segwit addresses. They still haven't updated.