wufpakman21
    wufpakman21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3649

Does Coinbase always take as long as they say?

I'm trying to get funds into my 5dimes account before Saturday's games and I just purchased some bitcoin on Coinbase but they say "arrival is Saturday". Is there a chance it comes in sooner? I've only used Coinbase one other time and at the time they allowed credit card purchase but not anymore. So I had to link my checking account this time to do the purchase.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9059

Yea. For me, it almost always arrives a day earlier than the estimate.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by wufpakman21 View Post
    I'm trying to get funds into my 5dimes account before Saturday's games and I just purchased some bitcoin on Coinbase but they say "arrival is Saturday". Is there a chance it comes in sooner? I've only used Coinbase one other time and at the time they allowed credit card purchase but not anymore. So I had to link my checking account this time to do the purchase.
    Unfortunately.... you might be screwed on this.

I use Gemini.com the cut off time is always 5PM Eastern. So if you initiate a deposit into your acct to purchase Bitcoin at 4:50 PM Eastern on Monday.... it would clear on Friday. (5 business days) Unfortunately since it's past 5PM Eastern... banking now would technically be Tuesday.

A friend of mine just signed up with Gemini and he was able to start trading in one business day upon bank verification. I like Gemini because they don't cheat you on the buy price.

You could send Gemini a wire Transfer. But your bank would charge a fee on this to send it out. (1 Business Day for clearance)

Going to be tough finding a place to purchase BTC and have it cleared by Saturday.

If you don't do the Wire with Gemini... only other alternative is LocalBitcoins. I don't trust dealing with another party like that though... I feel like I'm going to get cheated somehow.

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Doesn't help now, but for future reference, deposit money into your USD wallet on Coinbase, then once it's in, buy the Bitcoin and send the same day.

I've noticed the funds seem to deposit faster using this method than buying the Bitcoin outright. It also saves you from worrying about price fluctuation if you're using is strictly to fund a book.

juvunits
    juvunits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

It takes days to buy bitcoin on coinbase?

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Quote Originally Posted by juvunits View Post
    It takes days to buy bitcoin on coinbase?
    You have 3 ways to buy Bitcoin.

1. You can either use a debit/credit card which is instant, but will cost you 4% from Coinbase, plus whatever fees your card issuer is going to charge (international transaction + they will likely treat it as a cash advance).

2. You can lock in the price now buying now and paying through your checking account. The fee is much cheaper (I think 1.5%), but you have to wait for the transaction to clear from your bank account and into theirs, which takes several days, before you can withdraw the Bitcoin. This puts in the risk of price fluctuation and the possibility of your Bitcoin being worth less than what you want when it comes time to deposit into your book.

3. Instead of locking in the price right there, you can just deposit money into your Coinbase account, either through ACH or by wiring money. If you do ACH, it's going to take 3-4 days. Wiring is same day or next business day depending when you send it. You're then not subject to the downside of the price dropping while waiting for the purchase to clear (and on the flip side not benefiting if the price goes up while waiting for the funds to clear since you didn't lock in on the price). Once the money is right there in your account, you can purchase and transfer the Bitcoin instantly. If you use Coinbase Pro, then you only pay .3% on market orders and no commission on limit orders.

#3 is the best way to fund your book if you're not in a rush (i.e. You still have a week before NFL kicks off so you have time) and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by mrpapageorgio; 08-26-18 at 11:34 AM.

wyattvol
    wyattvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

90% or more chance you have it in time for saturday...I have made about 25-30 purchases and almost always earlier than estimate.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

I didn’t realize ACH transactions take so long nowadays.

Bought BTC Saturday, funds left my account Tues morning, and the BTC is still not in my Coinbase account.

Coinbase is shady as fuk

scavsiu8
    scavsiu8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post

Bought BTC Saturday, funds left my account Tues morning, and the BTC is still not in my Coinbase account.

Coinbase is shady as fuk
    US Holiday maybe?

I deposited via ACH this afternoon into my wallet so Ill advise on how long it takes to clear, saying available Saturday

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by scavsiu8 View Post
    US Holiday maybe?

I deposited via ACH this afternoon into my wallet so Ill advise on how long it takes to clear, saying available Saturday
    Next Saturday?

The funds left my bank account on Tuesday early morning, and it still says my bitcoin arrives this coming Tuesday. Meanwhile bitcoin is down like 20%. Coinbase has had my money since Wednesday at the latest.

scavsiu8

Next Saturday?

The funds left my bank account on Tuesday early morning, and it still says my bitcoin arrives this coming Tuesday. Meanwhile bitcoin is down like 20%. Coinbase has had my money since Wednesday at the latest.
    Says the 15th for me.

I almost deposited last week but noticed the long delay, likely cause of Labor Day

I didnt buy Bitcoin with my deposit, I deposited it into the wallet so once it clears I can buy it then. Takes the flucuations out of play

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by scavsiu8 View Post
    Says the 15th for me.

I almost deposited last week but noticed the long delay, likely cause of Labor Day

I didnt buy Bitcoin with my deposit, I deposited it into the wallet so once it clears I can buy it then. Takes the flucuations out of play

Yea I wasn’t paying attention. Last time I bought btc via ACH it didn’t take anytime at all.

scavsiu8

still pending as of today. was withdrew from bank in afternoon on Monday. guessing available tomorrow, we'll see

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Coinbase is shady as fuk
    Give Gemini.com a try instead Greaser

scavsiu8

Available now, last i checked at 3pm CST was not, but one day earlier then expected