Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Selecting a portfolio of crypto coins

I’ve indicated several times before that I’m skeptical about the minor alternate coins. I suspect most will disappear over time. But, I’ve made good money with them so I’d like to continue utilizing some of them. The question becomes how to select and manage a portfolio of crypto coins. Following are some of the options I’m considering and my thoughts on them.

1. Forget the minor coins and stick with the major ones like BTC, BCH, ETH, and LTC. Problem: It’s kind of boring and I’m a gambler by nature. FOMO is also a factor in disliking this approach.
    2. Research the minor coins by looking at their web site, reading their white papers, and looking into their developers. Problem: This is more effort than I want to expend, plus it assumes any judgements I make would be valid. (Again, I’m a gambler which is probably a good reason to question my judgement.)
    3. Follow the touts on this and other sites promoting particular coins. Problem: I’m not sure if their judgement is better than mine or even if the coin has a solid basis that it would succeed. Also I suspect they are members of a pump and dump group.
    4. Join a pump and dump group and jump in then a pump starts. Problem: I actually view this as unethical and the profits made are at the expense of others who are being duped. (Plus I am likely to be a member of the duped group.)
    5. Use the market cap of coins to build an “index like portfolio”. Problem: Like number 1 it’s a bit boring although it could provide access to more coins.

I’ll probably work on number 5, although not overly enthusiastically.

Bsims

Thanks to RoOK for posting the following link in another thread. It's one of the best articles about the problems of pump and dump I've seen.

http://www.cftc.gov/idc/groups/publi...mpdump0218.pdf

hotcross
    hotcross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7208

Bsmis good listing of the general strategy options with the crypto market at this point. Its not like we are in that monster bull-run phase anymore where anything you bought would bring in profits.

Its been said before in the main crypto thread (the one Firekillex started to discuss alt-coins). The best technology doesn't always equal success in terms of coin price appreciation. There's been a couple coins I'm highly interested in, with excellent concept and technology, which have not taken off again in price after their initial rise and subsequent fall.

Also I think people became more interested in "privacy coins" such as Z-cash, Monero, others....and I'm sure some actually use these coins to privately send money. But from my perspective as a sports bettor, I'm still waiting to see a site (like bitcoin-only book Nitrogen for example) add the option for other coins as currency options for players to keep their balances in. I mean, even if Nitrogen offered Litecoin as an option to not only deposit, but also hold your balance and wager in Litecoin, it would give players more options of currency type. I'm not talking about depositing in Litecoins, or Monero, or etc etc, and converting that into bitcoins or USD, I'm saying leave the currency alone and allow the player to keep the balance in the form of currency they prefer. That would be a nice way to use a privacy coin for online betting.

Bsims

Apparently Coinbase sees option 5 listed above as something worthwhile and will be offering an index fund.

https://blog.coinbase.com/announcing...d-3925fbf548db

It's not clear where this will be offered. But with a 2% maintenance fee it's not particularly exciting.