Hawk8568
    Hawk8568's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 278

Do companies disagree on what a "higher fee" is?

Hi all,

First off - thank you to those of you who post helpful information on this forum. It's helped me learn how to do some of this! That said, I'm still learning ...

After reading that Blockchain has had some delays recently, I opened an account on Airbitz. I've moved $ from Blockchain to my Bitpay card 3-4 times before, but it has always taken 48 hours or so, as I wasnt able to make the fee higher (or at least I didnt see where to do that).

Today, I did my first transaction from Airbitz to my Bitpay card. While completing the transaction using the Airbitz app, I selected "choose higher fee" when prompted. However, when Bitpay said the transaction had been received (but unconfirmed) the pop-up said: "this may be delayed, because you used a low mining fee."

My question: Is there disagreement as to what constitutes a "low fee?" Or is it changing based on the environment? Or does Bitpay just give you that prompt with every transaction so that they can slow-roll their transactions? My transactions are usually in the $1,000-$1,500 range, and I'm willing to pay an adequate fee to move them through quickly.

Here are the details I can find about my transaction, if that helps:
    Airbitz says the fee (I think its the fee) was +873 bits
    The site that Bitpay uses to track transactions says my fee was: 0.00388 BTC per KB
    At the bottom is says: Fee: 0.000873 BTC

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5828

I get that pop up message too but most often it still confirms fast most of time within 15 mins....run the trans through https://www.blockonomics.co/ site and it will give you aprox conformation time

Hawk8568

update: My transaction (Airbitz to Bitpay Card) was confirmed in less than an hour, so the fee must have been sufficient. Not sure why Bitpay said otherwise.

Hawk8568

cool, thanks!