gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Let's Talk About Loans

I see a lot of loan requests lately and thought it would be interesting to talk about. Seems like there are a lot of people who want to gamble on credit. In my history of seeking loans, I've used them for re-upping pro status, buying into the sharps fund, one drunken night for playing poker, and betting a World Cup match I felt was a good bet. IMO the first two were +ev for me and my lender since I was likely to pay back both and still have points for myself. Win-win. The third and 4th were risky loans for my lender since I was essentially gambling on credit.

What do you consider good reasons for asking for a loan or issuing a loan?

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Only had one thought A decent shot during Olympics

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

I just think the reasons like "trying to build a roll" are kind of a red flag. If you wanted to build a roll, you'd play daily poker tourneys and grind out your rollover. I understand trying to take a shot with points...it's fun, you get a little sweat and the downside is pretty minimal.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Only had one thought A decent shot during Olympics
    You learned a valuable lesson that day my friend.

Never bet against Canada in hockey.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BeerDog99

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273623

like when people want to stay PRO and when they have some info or cappin idea to share.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

There are some good reasons to take a loan (pro renewal, a +EV bet, contest entry, etc)...but any and all of those have been stiffed on before, where much worse reasons come through all the time. Why the person is doing it isn't as important as their ability and intention to repay.

Easiest people to lend to are routinely winning poker players, who essentially have a higher "income" than others (and winning in poker tends to be more consistent than sports betting).

Of course, when the person is terrible at poker, terrible at betting and terrible at wanting to pay back (CS4, chipnaz, etc), best bet is to run the hell away or (my preferred action) make sure the rest of the forum is aware of their shadiness and blacklist them so they can't scam anyone else
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: brainfreeze, and BeerDog99

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Try I got a tip about a horse...lend me 10k pal
    Points Awarded:

trytrytry gave gauchojake 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_D_Bet View Post
    There are some good reasons to take a loan (pro renewal, a +EV bet, contest entry, etc)...but any and all of those have been stiffed on before, where much worse reasons come through all the time. Why the person is doing it isn't as important as their ability and intention to repay.

Easiest people to lend to are routinely winning poker players, who essentially have a higher "income" than others (and winning in poker tends to be more consistent than sports betting).

Of course, when the person is terrible at poker, terrible at betting and terrible at wanting to pay back (CS4, chipnaz, etc), best bet is to run the hell away or (my preferred action) make sure the rest of the forum is aware of their shadiness and blacklist them so they can't scam anyone else

Poker and subsequent rollover are key to paying back/being paid back. Although chipnaz played a lot of poker and is a super stiff.

I agree though, I played a lot of poker when I had loans out because it made repayment very easy. I was able to give large chunks at a time which as a 1 time lender, I would have preferred.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Poker and subsequent rollover are key to paying back/being paid back. Although chipnaz played a lot of poker and is a super stiff.

I agree though, I played a lot of poker when I had loans out because it made repayment very easy. I was able to give large chunks at a time which as a 1 time lender, I would have preferred.
    best time of year to generate points between poker and BTP

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Agree Vegas. BTP is a great way to generate points. Unless you're me.