mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bedard moving to seattle?

Foxsports.com says that a deal including Adam jones, jeff Clement, and Marquis Tuiasosopo is on the table. as an os fan, i dont think i like it much. jones is nice, but clement is a dh/1b and Tuia is a 3b with no power. Jones and Morrow...making Morrow our closer of the future. thats a bit better imo.

bedard was the best pitcher in baseball in 07, we should be able to get a bit more.

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I definitely agree that the O's should get more than that for Bedard... But best pitcher in 07? I could see the argument for top 5 in 07 but I wouldnt put him at the top

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

He was definitely the best pitcher not named Peavy or Putz. This would be an absolute coup for the Mariners, and would immediately make them among the favorites to come out of the AL.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by 5 star bomb View Post
    I definitely agree that the O's should get more than that for Bedard... But best pitcher in 07? I could see the argument for top 5 in 07 but I wouldnt put him at the top

led the majors in ks per 9 while allowing less than 7 hits per 9. he did this in, by far, the best hitting division in baseball. i think he was clearly the best pitcher in baseball in 07.

mofome

I have it on pretty good authority that the Seattle Mariners and Baltimore Orioles may very well be making significant progress on a trade involving left-hander Erik Bedard.

Unfortunately, if you are an M’s fan, the word is that the Mariners may agree to include Carlos Triunfel in a deal along with Adam Jones, and perhaps one other player (George Sherrill, most likely), due to their stance on trading Brandon Morrow.

I did not get this info from a source directly involved in the talks, but it was relayed to me through a mutual source of one more directly involved.

If the Mariners send Jones, Triunfel and Sherrill to Baltimore and the return is simply Erik Bedard without Brian Roberts or other valuable pieces, the Soriano-Ramirez trade will be buried by this monster of a mistake.

Protecting Morrow as if he’s a sure thing is ridiculous. Refusing to include him in the deal as if he’s got a good chance to be a frontline starter in 2008 is irresponsible.

But, what else is new? This is not a smart baseball team and this would be yet another blunder as they continue to believe they were an 88-win team last year and are building on the team as a result.

Updates coming as I get them, and I’m already making calls to scouts to get reactions to such a deal, should it go through

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/01/07/ms-getting-closer

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    led the majors in ks per 9 while allowing less than 7 hits per 9. he did this in, by far, the best hitting division in baseball. i think he was clearly the best pitcher in baseball in 07.
    So you rank your pitchers on strictly k's per 9 and hits per 9? Interesting, Kazmir was 2nd in MLB in K's and I wouldnt even rank him as a top 10 pitcher at least yet anyway. Bedard has sick stuff but I would take the following guys over him without even thinking twice about it...

Peavy
    Santana
    Beckett
    Lackey
    Sabathia
    Webb
    Halladay

I would put Bedard in the next tier

Zambrano
    Carmona
    Bedard
    Harang
    Penny
    Verlander

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by 5 star bomb View Post
    So you rank your pitchers on strictly k's per 9 and hits per 9? Interesting, Kazmir was 2nd in MLB in K's and I wouldnt even rank him as a top 10 pitcher at least yet anyway. Bedard has sick stuff but I would take the following guys over him without even thinking twice about it...

Peavy
    Santana
    Beckett
    Lackey
    Sabathia
    Webb
    Halladay

I would put Bedard in the next tier

Zambrano
    Carmona
    Bedard
    Harang
    Penny
    Verlander

not strictly, but its a decent indicator as to how dominant he was. bedard is harder to hit than most of the guys you mentioned above him. when your k/ha ratio reads as 221:141, you're likely one of the best couple pitchers in the league. then you take into consideration the league he played in, the park he pitched in, and see that he held a whip under 1.10? I wouldnt consider taking sabathia over bedard if i needed to win 1 game. Lackey is a fine pitcher, but he just isnt as dominant, his stuff isnt as good as bedards. the only question with bedard is health...if hes healthy, hes the best pitcher in baseball, imo.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

No love for Roy O?

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    No love for Roy O?

hed be an oriole if our team wasnt run by morons. i cant believe we could have had roy oslwalt+ some for tejada, and now we're left with the junk we got this year. im sure you know about that deal and what caused it to fall through.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

First off, I'm not even sure how close that deal really was for, according to rumors, either Angelos or McLane to screw it up in the end. And the rumors extended beyond to somehow the Red Sox winding up with Oswalt according to some 'unnamed sources.' What got me was there was never enough of a consensus among the rumor mongers of what exactly Houston was going to wind up with at that time (besides Tejada's name).

The good news right now in Houston is that maybe, just maybe, the real baseball decisions are not being made by Drayton and his marketing team. The bad news is that Ed Wade and Tal Smith, weighted in one degree or the other, are making them and I feel they've paid too much for what they've received overall this winter. But then, I always think I could do things better as that team's GM, going into the 47th season with me playing GM for them

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    First off, I'm not even sure how close that deal really was for, according to rumors, either Angelos or McLane to screw it up in the end. And the rumors extended beyond to somehow the Red Sox winding up with Oswalt according to some 'unnamed sources.' What got me was there was never enough of a consensus among the rumor mongers of what exactly Houston was going to wind up with at that time (besides Tejada's name).

The good news right now in Houston is that maybe, just maybe, the real baseball decisions are not being made by Drayton and his marketing team. The bad news is that Ed Wade and Tal Smith, weighted in one degree or the other, are making them and I feel they've paid too much for what they've received overall this winter. But then, I always think I could do things better as that team's GM, going into the 47th season with me playing GM for them

from the guy i know, thats close to the Os organization, was Houston backed off when they found out the Os were flipping oswalt to texas. the deal was all but done till it was found out that the os had already been discussing oswalt to the rangers.

haha i always think i can make better moves than the os, then again, i think my little sister could do the same. maybe if you're able to out live old talbot, you can take over. that old timer has seen a lot go down in the game of baseball.

mofome

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes that an Erik Bedard-to-Seattle trade is closer to completion.

Sources told Rosenthal that the two sides are still differing on one player of the deal. Rosenthal says nothing about Jeff Clement in his newest report, instead mentioning right-hander Chris Tillman, top shortstop prospect Carlos Triunfel and reliever George Sherrill as possibility to be moved along with Adam Jones. Jones is almost surely a lock to be in the deal. We assume two of the other three would go. If the Orioles have a chance to get Triunfel, they need to pull the trigger.
    Source: FOXSports.com

pull it Os!

mofome

source:

Erik Bedard Mariners Rumors
    UPDATE, 1-09-08 at 9:07pm: Rosenthal checks in with an update. If the Mariners would give up Chris Tillman, they could have a done deal. Baseball Prospectus' Kevin Goldstein ranks the 19 year-old righty as Seattle's second best prospect, giving him a number two starter ceiling. Rosenthal confirms that Jones is the centerpiece, while George Sherrill and Carlos Triunfel are in play.

Meanwhile, Jason Churchill of Prospect Insider says on the right-hand sidebar of this page that the Reds might step up their offer in an attempt to make a late play. He thinks they could give up Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, and a fourth player, which would be absurd.