Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Regul8er's Back....Play Ball

Haven't made a money wager since the 2nd week of the NCAA Basketball Tourny. Took some much needed time off, and I actually fought the urge of wagering without much trouble. If I lose my money here, I will ride off into the sunset with no complaints, no regrets.

My dad won about $2,500 playing poker while visiting me for a week, and graciously gave me $250 to load up an account and make a few wagers. My wife is out of town from today until next week, so I figured why not.
    I've been keeping up with ball, watching tonnes of games on mlbtv, closely following my Fantasy team, and even making a few point wagers here on sbr. This makes me feel I'm not too far out of the loop. This is a quick thrill, so I will not be wagering 3% of my bankroll or $8 a game, so no poor management comments please, haha.

Below, are my two wagers for the night:

1) Chicago White Sox (-119) Risking $89 to Win $75.

Ozzie Guillen's bunch is beginning to heat up, winning 4 of there last 5. Bats are seeming to heat up with the weather, scoring 30 runs over those 5 games, despite being shutout on Sunday Night Baseball. It seems Freddy Garcia has dipped into 2001, officially recording 6 quality starts in his last 7 outings.

On the opposite end, the Pirates are reeling, losing there last 8 games scoring only 23 runs in that stretch. Pittsburgh throws Brad Lincoln on the hump, who was lit up in this MLB debut. The combination of nerves with a young pitcher, an offense generating nothing, and the possibility of a wet night infront of a small crowd doesn't bode well.

2) Houston Astros (+106) Risking $71 to Win $75.

Whenever the Royals are a favorite with Kyle Davies on the mound, you have to like the dog. Sure the Astros aren't much to write home about, but they still have the capability of scoring some runs. Carlos Lee and Lance Berkman seem to be heating up a bit, with decent production from Keppinger, Pence and Bourn. Sure Paulino is 1-7, but he has been the victim of some bad luck. In fact, he posts a 3.86 ERA and a 1.38 WHIP, while only giving up a measley 7 runs in his past 36 innings.

The Royals are one of a few teams in the league who currently have a better road record then home. Yes, they have been playing somewhat inspiring ball for Ned Yost, and have been scoring a good number of runs as of late, but a trip back to Koufman may work against KC here. Did I mention Kyle Davies is pitching tonight?

Regul8er
    Wordd

1-1 in my first night back, and a big profit of $4....RIGHT ON

Tonight just one game stands out:

1) Houston Astros (-111) Risking $111 to Win $100.

Oswalt's been a stud on the road, looking to improve his numbers to attract teams in the upcoming months. Bruce Chen is due to get lit up, after his impressive start to the season. I think Oswalt holds the Royals to 1 or 2 runs, and the Stros get a comfortable win.

ItIsWhatItIs09
    ItIsWhatItIs09's Avatar Become A Pro!

Congrats on the profit with your first night in baseball, good luck with the Astros

Regul8er
    Wordd

Comfortable win for Houston last night, went about how I expected. 2-1 now at +$104. Just one more pick tonight:

1) Atlanta Braves (-117) Risking $117 to Win $100.

Interesting matchup. Best home record against best road record. Hudson's been quite a bit more effective then Shields, and the main reasoning I'm backing the Braves. Hudson has been tremendous turning in quality start after quality start. He's been very clean at home, pitching to contact but keeping the ball in the yard. Shields has been up and down, but still has the tendency to give up way too many long flys. Atlanta is certainly capable in dropping a few bombs here. Rays are a tremendous team, but that magic experienced in April and May seems to be wearing off ever so slightly. Give me the Braves in a 6-2 win.

ezmoney
    ezmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Love ATl, Hudson 6-0, 2.76 ERA in career home starts vs TB, Shields 0-4, 8.38 last 4 games.
    Let's build up that BANKROLL! ATL -115.

EZ

ezmoney
    ezmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

White SOX and ATL won, HOU down 4-2, still a "plus" day!

EZ

Regul8er
    Wordd

Comfortable win for the Braves yesterday, bumping me to 3-1, +$204. Two games for me tonight:

1) Philadelphia Phillies (-128) Risking $128 to Win $100.

The price may be a bit steep with a struggling Blanton on the hump, but this is a feel play for me. The Phillies are starting to regain confidence, taking the last game at Fenway, and 2 of 3 at Yankee Stadium. There bats are starting to heat up, which doesn't hurt when you return home to Citizens. The confines I don't anticipate being friendly for Nick Blackburn. He has been getting crushed on the road, doesn't strike anyone one out, and gives up ALOT of flyballs. This combination doesn't bode well tonight. I'm hoping Blanton can get back on track, and maybe throw 6 or 7 innings, limiting the runs to 3 or less. I certainly think he's capable.

2) Houston Astros (+126) Risking $80 to Win $100.

I think this price is tremendous, going up against Scott Feldman, who has really been struggling. Yes, Wandy Rodriguez has been off this year, but has been pitching decent at home. Wandy is too good to have an ERA above 5.00, and I see him working it down. The AL West leading Rangers have been terrific in the last month. They do however post a pedestrian 11-10 record this year against lefties, compared to 27-18 against righties. Also, if the game is tight late, I don't see the Rangers using Feliz, who has thrown the last 3 nights, and 4 of the 5. Houston has the ability to string some hits together against Feldman, and I expect them o snap Texas' streak.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

How's your TV?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Comfortable win for the Braves yesterday, bumping me to 3-1, +$204. Two games for me tonight:

1) Philadelphia Phillies (-128) Risking $128 to Win $100.

The price may be a bit steep with a struggling Blanton on the hump, but this is a feel play for me. The Phillies are starting to regain confidence, taking the last game at Fenway, and 2 of 3 at Yankee Stadium. There bats are starting to heat up, which doesn't hurt when you return home to Citizens. The confines I don't anticipate being friendly for Nick Blackburn. He has been getting crushed on the road, doesn't strike anyone one out, and gives up ALOT of flyballs. This combination doesn't bode well tonight. I'm hoping Blanton can get back on track, and maybe throw 6 or 7 innings, limiting the runs to 3 or less. I certainly think he's capable.

2) Houston Astros (+126) Risking $80 to Win $100.

I think this price is tremendous, going up against Scott Feldman, who has really been struggling. Yes, Wandy Rodriguez has been off this year, but has been pitching decent at home. Wandy is too good to have an ERA above 5.00, and I see him working it down. The AL West leading Rangers have been terrific in the last month. They do however post a pedestrian 11-10 record this year against lefties, compared to 27-18 against righties. Also, if the game is tight late, I don't see the Rangers using Feliz, who has thrown the last 3 nights, and 4 of the 5. Houston has the ability to string some hits together against Feldman, and I expect them o snap Texas' streak.
    I like these plays in theory, but Blanton is a ticking time bomb and that Astros line seems fishy. Why is Feldman favored by so much here? He's been awful.

Both of these teams returning home from road trips, which can spell doom first game back. BOL though.

Regul8er
    Wordd

haha, the tv! I embelished my story slightly, figured I'd add to the drama. Im not that much of a hothead.

Thanks I appreciate the luck, see if I can improve the solid early record.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    haha, the tv! I embelished my story slightly, figured I'd add to the drama. Im not that much of a hothead.

Thanks I appreciate the luck, see if I can improve the solid early record.
    You never know with bases. You just never know.

Depends on which bullpen pitchers partied too hard the night before.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Baseball's always been touch and feel for me. A lot of the time you can throw numbers out the window. How many times do you grab a pitcher who is 8-0 with a 1.30 lifetime against team x, and he gives up 8 runs in 2 innings?

Regul8er
    Wordd

Phillies win in a blowout.....Astros lose in a blowout. But you know what, another positive day. You gotta love it baby!!!

Regul8er
    Wordd

After a split tonight, my record falls to 4-2, but my winnings are now up to +$224. Will be out of town in the morning, so will quickly post my picks. Unfortunately, no time for a writeup:

1) Florida Marlins (+129) Risk $77 to Win $100
    2) Milwaukee Brewers (+109) Risk $92 to Win $100

Let's get paid tomorrow.