bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cecil Cooper named full-time Astros manager

Maybe between the new GM and Cecil the Astros can find there way back to the playoffs. However, I think it's gonna take about 5 years in order to do it.

They really need to break up the team accept for Oswalt and start from scratch.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Oh, I think they should keep more than just Oswalt, but you may be right about this franchise not being contender for the near future. They're playing in a very tightly grouped and pedestrian at best division. Look at what the Cubs have done in a season in the NL Central.

Oswalt, Berkman and Lee are a pretty good trio to start with. The biggest problem the last couple of seasons is the fact the team came out of the 2005 World Series with everyone pointing at their offense as the culprit. Houston has never been a force without excellent pitching. In 2005 they had a staff 3.51 ERA and allowed 609 total runs. It was a 4.08 ERA and 719 runs scored against the Astros in 2006. And with three games left this year, the Houston staff is sitting on 4.74 and 804 runs allowed. And it's not just the absence of Clemens and Pettitte.

Should trade Lidge, as much as I hate to say that. Love the guy, he's a really genuine guy and has more class than most. But he needs a fresh start and Houston needs another closer. They'll need to spend wisely on pitching and hope some of the younger position players come through if they want to make the playoffs in 2008 and 2009.