bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Barry Bonds Will NOT Be on the Giants Next Year

Will he be a Yankee in 2008?

Barry Bonds Will NOT Be on the Giants Next Year

ESPN just reported that while Barry Bonds will be returning to Major League Baseball next year, it will NOT be as a member of the San Francisco Giants. I wonder what team wants that drama? Granted, Barry means fans in the seats and some national recognition, but any team who would consider adding Barry to the roster to get some more attention has bigger problems than fans in the seats.

Speculation has Barry heanded to the AL to DH at age 44.

From his journal:

This journal will be one of my last entries as a San Francisco Giant. Yesterday, I was told by the Giants that they will not be bringing me back for the 2008 season. During the conversation with Peter McGowan I was told that my play this year far exceeded any expectations the Giants had, but that the organization decided this year would be my last season in San Francisco. Although I am disappointed, I’ve always said baseball is a business — and I respect their decision. However, I am saddened and upset that I was not given an earlier opportunity to properly say goodbye to you, my fans, and celebrate with the city throughout the season as I truly believe this was not a last minute decision by the Giants, but one that was made some time ago. I don’t have nor do I want any ill feelings towards the organization, I just wish I had known sooner so we had more time to say our goodbyes and celebrate the best 15 years of my life.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4747

You would think he would end up in the AL, because of the DH position. So lets get things started. Who will Barry play for next year?

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

I just have a lot of trouble seeing him play on any American league team other than the Yankees, not saying it won't happen but I have hard time seeing it right now.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    You would think he would end up in the AL, because of the DH position.
    That's pretty much tied up - he said that he won't be playing left field next year. Either he wants to reinvent himself as a short-stop or he wants to play as a DH. And as for the team, it must surely be someone with a good offence. There's little point him playing in the AL equivalent of the Giants where he's going to get walked all the time - just think of the numbers he would put up if he was placed between Manny and Ortiz.

bigboydan

You make a good point there Taco. He would fix rather nicely between those two sluggers in Beantown. However, The more I think about it I see him playing in Texas with the rest of the Ex-Roiders.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Since Bonds is your favorite player Dan, who would you like to see him play for?

cohbull
    cohbull's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

I say the Angels. Plus he owns a house in SoCal already.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Since Bonds is your favorite player Dan, who would you like to see him play for?
    California penal

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    You make a good point there Taco. He would fix rather nicely between those two sluggers in Beantown.
    I think that would be fantastic as a spectator.

That aside, it really is a buyers market for Bonds. He has said he wants to play next year presumably since he wants to get 3,000 hits and to bump up his HR total (so there will be no-one offering him big bucks to do a Clemens). He said he doesn't want to field, so that's half the buyers in MLB out of the equation. Also, he wants to win a World Series so that reduces the number of clubs to 4-5. I think someone is going to pick him up for very little cost.

And, bearing in mind the WS pre-requisit, the Yankees and the Red Sox are the most likely candidates. As I said, he'd slot into the Red Sox line-up very nicely (but that would mean Ortiz would have to read up How To Play 1B 101 next year) - so that makes it less likely. The Yankees are well know for buying up whatever aged talent they can find to aid their short-term cause rather than long-term picture so that would be more likely.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    However, The more I think about it I see him playing in Texas with the rest of the Ex-Roiders.
    But since he has not admitted nor has been found guilty of taking steroids (even if he did when they were legal in MLB, that shouldn't be an issue) then he's obviously innocent.

Remember your OJ argument?

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Maybe Oakland?

tacomax

Maybe he might (and maybe he'll go to any one of the remaining AL teams) but I doubt Oakland would pay a lot of money to get a player who won't be supported.

The devil in me would love the Dodgers to sign him.

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

If I was the general manager of the Yanks I would pay the $ to get Bonds .
    I would play him at DH and suggest he spend alot of his time in the batting cage and taking batting practice .
    Never playing the field really , better served in the dh role and less likely of inj by not playing in the outfield .
    If the Yanks 2007 is nothing great then it would be a must for me to go after Bonds .
    I would throw all the stigmas out the window and get him on my team .
    I am a Braves fan , I just think that would be a nice $maker being able to take the Yanks -1.5 all the time if they had that monster mo jo in the lineup .
    Keep in mind he would be a well rested Bonds .
    One of his incentives would be no doubt hitting more HRS so in his mind nobody would catch his record ........... AMAZING NOTE AND A SICK ONE : SHORT RIGHT FIELD PORCH IN YANKES STADIUM , THATS SICK !!!!!

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Maybe the Mariners?

Then they will have another slow base runner like they did when Edgar Martinez played for them.

TheOffshoreGambler
    TheOffshoreGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Look for him to be a designated hitter for the Yankees next year.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I don't look for him to go to the Yankees, Yankees need pitching, not hitting. I look to see him to go to the Rangers or Angels next season I think. Somewhere in the American League that is for sure.

elliott0924
    elliott0924's Avatar Become A Pro!

Barry Bonds suxx. Very overrated. Maybe someone in Triple A will offer him a contract, that is where he belongs.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

That would be F'n sick if he went to the yankees!

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Are the Giants making a statement by saying this so soon before talking $? How do they know Barry wouldn't play on the cheap?

vladom
    vladom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Barry Bonds is a legend!

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post

Remember your OJ argument?
    Same thing in theory as your bonds replies this whole time

remmy358
    remmy358's Avatar Become A Pro!

i don't think he'll go to the yankees.

1- east coast team
    2- not sure how the yanks fans would like it - a known roider.
    3- would make the yankes look desperate and the organization would lose a lot of respect
    4- they've been burned with "aged" veterans over the years, and i'm sure bonds will want a huge contract. i know george has a big pocket, but he will be hesitant to sign this injury riddled 40+ guy

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

ahhh , wasn't J.Giambi into the steroids thing admitted it ?
    The Yankees first baseman now and dh now , boy has he shown he was a user ........he ****kin sucks , they need to get rid of him and his 238 batting average .
    Giambi only struck out 3 times today , that's sad .
    If it was Bonds on the Yanks now and he was batting 238 and struck out 3 times today , ooooooooohhhhhhh the big writeups the sports writers would have with that . pathetic media we have .

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He will play for American league team and if healthy as a DH will hit 280, 35 hrs

Not bad for a guy his age