Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 456

Kansas City Voters Reject Stadium Tax Initiative

Voters in Jackson County, Missouri voted overwhelmingly against a sales tax measure that would have given money to the Royals and Chiefs, per reports from Dave Skretta of the Associated Press and Mike Hendricks of The Kansas City Star. 58% of voters were against the measure with just 42% in support.

The Royals currently play in Kauffman Stadium while the Chiefs play in Arrowhead Stadium, with both facilities sitting next to each other as part of the Truman Sports Complex. The Royals are hoping to build a new stadium at a new location, revealing some plans back in February. The Chiefs are hoping to stay at Arrowhead but were hoping to secure funding for renovations. Sam Robinson of Pro Football Rumors recently took a look at the news from the Chiefs’ perspective.

The proposed measure would have replaced an existing three-eighths of a cent capital improvements sales tax, which was approved by voters in 2006, with a new three-eighths of a cent sales tax that would run through 2064. Per the proposal, the money from that tax would help pay for the Royals’ planned new ballpark and renovations of Arrowhead.

Royals owner John Sherman said he was “deeply disappointed” with the result but didn’t reveal what his next steps would be. “We will take some time to reflect on and process the outcome and find a path forward that works for the Royals and our fans,” he said.

dollarbill
    dollarbill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1302

The owner is deeply disappointed…. Try this path lower the salaries of your players… Maybe the votes were miscounted…. ����

GzaTheGenius
    GzaTheGenius's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15241

Can’t T Swift just pay for the renovations?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32358

The K has been recently renovated.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68605

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    The K has been recently renovated.
    Nothing like remodeling and then tearing it down.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Hunt is a cheap bastard. Players are unhappy with him. He has the worst facilities in the league for his players. All his money is spent by his wife Tavia.

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

meh not caring about the royals they haven been in world series in like decades

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    Won 9 years ago

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    What LB said.
    They went back-to-back in 2014-2015.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47563

It would warm my heart to see the Chiefs bail on KC and move elsewhere.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20517

Yeah, why invest in something that provides jobs and brings in tax revenue, when you can piss away money for illegals and homeless drug addicts.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9255

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    It would warm my heart to see the Chiefs bail on KC and move elsewhere.
    I bet the voters would think the tax was worth it if that happened.

hawkwind
    hawkwind's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22918

Owner is worth Billions as is the team of Liberal Woke MFAH. Fund it yourself U Pathetic MF Loser. TAX, TAX, TAX. Ask the Billionair dictator zelensky that MF pedo FJB has given OUR TAX $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to. FJB & everything & everyone woke & left.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 905

I wish I could get taxpayers to pay for a building for my business… screw these rich leagues and owners. The damn leagues and teams are printing money. Figure it out.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

Optional

The owners/teams bring enough extra money and prestige to the host cities to be worth it for the city to justify bidding for teams to move there.

It's called business.

And if you are someone thinking this is not what I want my tax money spent on, try to imagine if you owned a business where every small stake holder was thinking they had a right to micro manage every decision you make.

As I said above, I bet many of the no voters would be crying into their hands about all the lost revenue and importance of KC as a city if the teams leave.

stevenash

^

I'm a Royals fan, talk to Royals fans, been to the K, the whole nine yards.

You're spot on money, when the Royals were in the playoffs and World Series 2014 and 2015, MLB fans and executives from both coasts were flying into Kansas City in droves, and spending beau coup money.

Major revenue would be lost if KC lost 80 home games.

Optional

City probably should have taken the decision themselves and lived with the electoral consequences instead of palming it off to a vote. If that was possible.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I am all for the no public financing view, but when you play chicken, you have to be prepared to pay the consequences. There are other cities out there ready to pluck a franchise. Salt Lake has pivoted to a good position, and look what Sacramento is doing with the A's. Sacramento already plucked one franchise away from KC.

mjsuax13

These leagues are printing money. We don’t think MLB or the NFL can afford to fund stadiums or loans for their teams and product? Laughable. Grade A+ loan candidates with ongoing revenue. The salary pool and financials would look mighty different (like a normal business) if they actually had to pay for their infrastructure to conduct said business. People are emotional though about teams, owners and athletes that don’t give a shit about them. It’s quite literally their product! You aren’t allowed near it unless you pay their crazy ticket prices even though you own a small sliver of it. Chew on that.

The general public gets played in terms of taxes paid and how they are distributed to things they do not need. Part time jobs at best that are subsidized with government administered welfare and healthcare on the back end after the short term construction phase jobs. You can take a lot of positions here but the fact is the taxpayer is funding something the majority of them cannot afford to attend and more importantly something (stadium) that generates more revenue and wealth for a smaller entity (ownership) than it does a community. Economic impact isn’t some absolute number over the course of a season. Meanwhile, the ownership has total control over putting a reasonable product on the field or not and when they sell they do not have to pay a dime back even though in many cases they clear over a billion profit based on the value created by you the taxpayer. The math at its very basic does not work.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stevenash

stevenash

^
    Rock solid, astute post.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3557

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    The owners/teams bring enough extra money and prestige to the host cities to be worth it for the city to justify bidding for teams to move there.

It's called business.

And if you are someone thinking this is not what I want my tax money spent on, try to imagine if you owned a business where every small stake holder was thinking they had a right to micro manage every decision you make.

As I said above, I bet many of the no voters would be crying into their hands about all the lost revenue and importance of KC as a city if the teams leave.
    They never offer the local people free tickets for funding these stadiums. Which I always thought was cheeky.

Maybe if they started giving people an incentive they might change their tune.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    They never offer the local people free tickets for funding these stadiums. Which I always thought was cheeky.

Maybe if they started giving people an incentive they might change their tune.
    A ticket? Hell- be lucky to get a soda out of them.
    Maybe you can have one of their employees rent a Lamborghini though and run you off the road or the coaches kid crash into you on drugs.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave mjsuax13 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

mjsuax13

^
    Rock solid, astute post.
    They have the money pal!

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    They have the money pal!
    Yeah, and like it or not, the owners will have their way.
    Not for nothing I am pro-owner here, it's their billions that provide the product to the local economy.

I'm sure push won't come to shove here and there'll be a reasonable resolution.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33498

The issue of public financing of stadiums has been studied ad-nauseum and the results are clear: public financing of stadiums does not lead to economic and tax revenue greater than the investment. Congratulations to the people of Kansas City for not falling for the scam.

The T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas is proof that privately funded arenas can thrive without corporate welfare.
    Points Awarded:

mjsuax13 gave Ian 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

lakerboy

Points Awarded:

mjsuax13 gave lakerboy 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68605

Come on Hunt family.

Blow the dust off and pry open that wallet of yours.

kyhawk
    kyhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7824

Move to Johnson county. More people and room.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Come on Hunt family.

Blow the dust off and pry open that wallet of yours.
    He could write the check this morning for the down payment in cash and finance it like every other business in America.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The issue of public financing of stadiums has been studied ad-nauseum and the results are clear: public financing of stadiums does not lead to economic and tax revenue greater than the investment. Congratulations to the people of Kansas City for not falling for the scam.

The T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas is proof that privately funded arenas can thrive without corporate welfare.
    Yes- the Knights have found success and did get some help with the expansion draft rules to make the team stronger but the fact is Foley went into his own pocket to make it happen with the team and arena. The organization isn’t a taker organization, it’s a real organization with community investment.

Meanwhile- those Illitch bastards in Detroit got their arena built by taxpayers and all the investments in the surrounding area they promised haven’t seen a shovel go into the ground and they never will. Do we think Detroit needed a new hockey arena considering the problems they have everywhere? Please visit!

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    A ticket? Hell- be lucky to get a soda out of them.
    Maybe you can have one of their employees rent a Lamborghini though and run you off the road or the coaches kid crash into you on drugs.
    Yeah, really. This is why I live in the boonies mate.

packerd_00

Yeah, and like it or not, the owners will have their way.
    Not for nothing I am pro-owner here, it's their billions that provide the product to the local economy.

I'm sure push won't come to shove here and there'll be a reasonable resolution.
    The owners are as bad as that mate that loses his wallet when the cheque comes.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    The owners are as bad as that mate that loses his wallet when the cheque comes.
    There's a whole lot of crap to spread all around.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

In my opinion, having sports franchises are more of a social statement than a money maker. As long as there are cities and states stupid enough to fund these, owners are going to keep following the deals.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    In my opinion, having sports franchises are more of a social statement than a money maker. As long as there are cities and states stupid enough to fund these, owners are going to keep following the deals.
    Someone said it… it’s about prestige really. Doesn’t necessarily move any financial needle locally. However, KC will make a deal for sure. They don’t want to end up without. They historically have lost franchises. With the new airport in KC and World Cup coming they will find a way to fund it all.