Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 444

Oakland/Las Vegas A's Are In A Pickle

The Oakland A's are searching for a home. They'll be in Oakland in 2024, and they hope to open up a ballpark in Las Vegas in 2028, but the three years in between are still in question.

Yesterday, A's officials toured Sutter Health Park in Sacramento, home of the Triple-A River Cats, a San Francisco Giants affiliate. According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, they also have plans to tour Smith's Ballpark in Salt Lake City, home of the Los Angeles Angels Triple-A affiliate, the Bees.

While the A's are having a tough time with the whole "building a ballpark" thing, the Bees are set to open their new ballpark in 2025 with construction already underway. Smith's Ballpark was built in 1994 and would be outdated for a Triple-A team, but John Fisher wants to consider it a home for his Major League franchise.

While any ballpark in the country could feasibly work as a short-term solution to this problem, the bigger issue at play here is the A's television rights, which pays them a reported $67 million per season. The only catch is that they have to stay in the Bay Area to receive that full sum. Even a move up to Sacramento would lead to a meeting between Fisher and Comcast Sports California on future payments at a reduced rate.

Here's a question: After spending years in the minor leagues only to establish themselves in the Majors and reach free agency six years later, how many impact players that have other options are going to sign up to go play in a minor-league facility for half their games? The answer is likely zero.

Even the A's minor leaguers would be getting a raw deal in this situation. Las Vegas Ballpark opened in 2019, while Sutter Health Park opened in 2000, Smith's in 1994, and Greater Nevada Ballpark in 2009. The A's current Triple-A facility is the newest of the current crop of ballparks to choose from, and reaching the big leagues would be a step back in facilities for those guys.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9221

The players really care that much about the facilities that none of them would play?

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19605

The A's will probably play in LV at their AAA ballpark until the new stadium is finished. I can see them offering doubleheaders: the AAA team in the afternoon and the A's at night.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Most of those A's players should be more than happy getting paid big league money, they aint making any other roster. Team will be mailing it in for a few years yet.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Can't they get out of the contract with X-Shit-Iffy if they leave Commie-fornia? And then pick up a new contract with Nevada right away? I'm sure Commie-fornia-Cast would love to get rid of the dead weight anyway?

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by mase of base View Post
    most of those a's players should be more than happy getting paid big league money, they aint making any other roster. Team will be mailing it in for a few years yet.
    batting cleanup #2 - nick alleeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn
    batting 5th #5 - tony keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmpp pppp

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

New Orleans ?
    Tennessee ?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Can't they get out of the contract with X-Shit-Iffy if they leave Commie-fornia? And then pick up a new contract with Nevada right away? I'm sure Commie-fornia-Cast would love to get rid of the dead weight anyway?
    I was thinking the same thing. If Las Vegas is a done deal, why wouldn't they explore getting a TV contract with one of the local sports affiliates? Comcast California is going to extremely lowball them because it's a bad product in a state that won't have them anymore. If they try to extend their lease in Oakland for that time period, I'm sure the government will high bid them for rent just to spite them.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    New Orleans ?
    Tennessee ?
    I'd like them here in Nashville. Now that MLB has gone to the balanced schedule, traveling wouldn't be as much of an issue.