vs Yanks

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24893

kingman

ChuckyTheGoat

Last edited by ChuckyTheGoat; 12-20-23 at 09:31 PM.

ChuckyTheGoat

bevacqua

ChuckyTheGoat

reggie jackson incident

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 898

I met Tommy at a Suns game in 2017. He had ketchup and mustard all over his shirt standing around the underground food area eating hot dog after hot dog. Had no clue where he was. Pretty sad really. Not sure where his handlers were.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68581

Ever heard the Earl Weaver tapes ?
    Lolol. Lasorda was polite compared to Earl.
    He did a managers corner pre game segment that he knew needed a second take early and went on to say some seriously foul stuff. It was priceless.
    A must hear for any baseball fan.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Earl Weaver outtakes on YouTube.
    Managers corner.
    I can’t think me posting that link would be in good taste but it is a must listen.
    I suggest you listen to it alone or without ladies present. Pretty rough. Lol.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Earl Weaver outtakes on YouTube.
    Managers corner.
    I can’t think me posting that link would be in good taste but it is a must listen.
    I suggest you listen to it alone or without ladies present. Pretty rough. Lol.
    He was a wild one.

ChuckyTheGoat

Ever heard the Earl Weaver tapes ?
    Lolol. Lasorda was polite compared to Earl.
    He did a managers corner pre game segment that he knew needed a second take early and went on to say some seriously foul stuff. It was priceless.
    A must hear for any baseball fan.
    Ya, I have. Seriously, some of the funniest stuff.

Yes, the Earl clips are in a league of their own. "Alice Sweet wants to know the best time to plant a Tomato Plant."

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I knew Terry Crowley from Timonium. Real nice guy. He loved the track and we sat next to each other when he was in town. He would leave after the 5 th race to go to the stadium when they were home. Couple others from the team as well. They were there everyday they were in town in the summer. I did not play it for him or the other guys.

Terry Crowley’s son in law worked for a major feed company and was around the barns all the time. I played it for him and he went crazy laughing. Made him a copy as it was on a cassette back in the day. He played it for the crow. Terry had already heard it. Lol.

Alice Sweet. If she’d only gotten her butt out of the bars. It might have happened. Lolol.

ChuckyTheGoat

I knew Terry Crowley from Timonium. Real nice guy. He loved the track and we sat next to each other when he was in town. He would leave after the 5 th race to go to the stadium when they were home. Couple others from the team as well. They were there everyday they were in town in the summer. I did not play it for him or the other guys.

Terry Crowley’s son in law worked for a major feed company and was around the barns all the time. I played it for him and he went crazy laughing. Made him a copy as it was on a cassette back in the day. He played it for the crow. Terry had already heard it. Lol.

Alice Sweet. If she’d only gotten her butt out of the bars. It might have happened. Lolol.
    That's good stuff. "Terry Crowley is lucky to have a job in baseball."

It's funny, Earl's strategy used Crowley perfectly. Crowley was very good as a LHB vs RHP. But he didn't have a great all-around game.

I knew those early-70 Orioles teams to a tee. One of the few teams where I could basically read off the entire 25-man roster.

1970 Orioles were arguably the best defensive team ever. So balanced, and the defense made the whole pitching staff look better.

I'd like to know the true range value of Centerfielder Blair. I always envisioned him covering alley-to-alley. And the Brooks Robinson show in the World Series was amazing.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

The O’s trainer back then Ralph Salvon told me he was alley to alley. I asked him that and he did not hesitate.
    Very underrated player but surrounded by greats all over the place.

All those guys loved talking horses and I loved talking baseball. We talked a lot when we saw each other. Fun times back in the day which was always at the track.
    Last edited by str; 12-20-23 at 02:54 PM.

ChuckyTheGoat

The O’s trainer back then Ralph Salvon told me he was alley to alley. I asked him that and he did not hesitate.
    Very underrated player but surrounded by greats all over the place.

All those guys loved talking horses and I loved talking baseball. We talked a lot when we saw each other. Fun times back in the day which was always at the track.
    str, that's good stuff. The Oriole defense shows up in the stats. The whole pitching staff (including Palmer) benefited from the Defense behind them.

That's great info on Blair. You're right, most don't think about him. I always envisioned him as having AA range.

That Oriole team was so balanced. I normally selected '70 Orioles on the Dynasty League baseball game I played. Very hard team to beat in a series. Great defense at key positions. And enough offense with a good bench.

I'm curious. Who did Crowley roll with? Etchebarren and Dalrymple?

As crazy as Earl was, he was smart, too. He knew how to use a roster. He'd play the right matchups. Some years later, h was one of the first managers to use an exclusive platoon. Lowenstein was good vs RHP but not good vs LHP. Lowenstein/Roenicke became a very productive platoon.

ChuckyTheGoat

str, Blair was not a GREAT offensive player. One has to wonder where Blair ranks on the best Defensive center-field list. He contributed greatly but isn't always mentioned with those names. Mays is thought of as a great defensive player but he has the offense, too. This quote from Jim Palmer is very telling:

Palmer loved having Blair in the outfield because of his fielding ability. In his 1996 book Palmer and Weaver: Together We Were Eleven Foot Nine, he reminisced about the time Weaver gave him three batting lineups to choose from for a game. "I'm looking basically for one thing," Palmer wrote. "Center field. We've got Paul Blair, who I personally think can field anything." According to Palmer, Blair caught 12 fly balls that night.[19] Palmer also thought Blair "was worth two runs, defensively, every game."

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Crowley played for the O’s in the early 70’s and then again in the mid- late 70’s.
    I got to know him around 77-78 -79. He hung with Steve Stone and Rich Dauer at Timonium. I was too young to know Crowley in the early 70’s. Still in high school.
    Ralph Salvon was not around at Timonium with those guys.
    Ralph would come to Bowie in the winter. He was friends with my mentor and I got to know him once I became a trainer in 76. I had the next box over from my old boss Dickie , so it was easy to meet him and talk to him. Very nice man. He was a story teller guy and I loved every minute of that. That’s where we talked about Blair. Those other players were 77,78,79 area.
    Talking to them all was a thrill. I had to act like it was no big deal because I was near or at the top of the trainer standings and you could tell that they felt kind of the same way I did talking to a trainer. But truth be told, I felt like a little kid again. So fortunate to have those interactions with those guys.
    Dauer was kind of quiet. Crowley was engaging and talked pretty open. Stone was a story teller as well. Man he was fun to talk to. We used to do a I’ll answer any question of yours and you do the same. That was really cool.
    Good memories Chucky.
    Thanks man.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11901

Lol.. Cracking up over here. Lasorda!

ChuckyTheGoat

Crowley played for the O’s in the early 70’s and then again in the mid- late 70’s.
    I got to know him around 77-78 -79. He hung with Steve Stone and Rich Dauer at Timonium. I was too young to know Crowley in the early 70’s. Still in high school.
    Ralph Salvon was not around at Timonium with those guys.
    Ralph would come to Bowie in the winter. He was friends with my mentor and I got to know him once I became a trainer in 76. I had the next box over from my old boss Dickie , so it was easy to meet him and talk to him. Very nice man. He was a story teller guy and I loved every minute of that. That’s where we talked about Blair. Those other players were 77,78,79 area.
    Talking to them all was a thrill. I had to act like it was no big deal because I was near or at the top of the trainer standings and you could tell that they felt kind of the same way I did talking to a trainer. But truth be told, I felt like a little kid again. So fortunate to have those interactions with those guys.
    Dauer was kind of quiet. Crowley was engaging and talked pretty open. Stone was a story teller as well. Man he was fun to talk to. We used to do a I’ll answer any question of yours and you do the same. That was really cool.
    Good memories Chucky.
    Thanks man.
    That's good stuff. I always liked Stone on the Cub broadcasts. Smart guy.

Talk about living right in 1980. 25 wins, what a season. Arm problems, he only pitched one more season.