Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

Is Collusion Happening In MLB Right Now?

To me, it depends how you define it. If collusion means that most of all teams are following the same game plan, then I guess you could say, "Yes". If you look at it as the owners coming together to screw the players, I would then say, "No."

Organizations are now, as a whole, seeing the value of all star players under team control. Look at the Astros. They have underpaid talent in their first 3 years, or arbitration years, with a few veteran contracts sprinkled in between. I think organizations have finally seen that long term contracts like Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Pablo Sandoval, and Carl Crawford are becoming a thing of the past.

Now people like Scott Boras will go around yelling "FOUL!!! FOUL!!", but I just think that his way of doing things is coming to an end. I wouldn't be shocked that the players will be clamoring for free agency sooner in their careers, when the new CBA is negotiated, because the traditional is now being played against the good to great players. They have already made one adjustment when they stopped taking a team's first round pick for signing a player who refused a qualifying offer. Several free agents were left in the cold because teams value their draft picks more.

I would not be shocked if we see teams go the next step, and trade soon to be free agents near the deadline, even if they are contending. A player like Dallas Keuchel could be an example. Houston might be a title contender this year, but if one or two of their SP prospects are ready to make the jump to the big team, the Astros could consider trading someone like Dallas because it's doubtful he will resign with them next year, and they could potentially get a nice return for him also. It would be better than getting a 2nd to 5th round pick after he declines the qualifying offer.

Until the free agency eligibility rules change, I think we will be seeing more trades like Gerrit Cole, Evan Longoria, and Andrew McCutchen, before we see long term Boras contracts being signed.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Lots of words there

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

No

Very few stars anymore mlb

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

yes

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 300

I just think GM's are getting smarter and the game itself is getting younger. The four long term contracts you mentioned I guess Pujols is the only one that worked out for the Angels, 1st year mad revenue in jersey sales, till this day he still sells jerseys. As a former Marlins fan I loved the Giancarlo Stanton contract because after the loss of Jose Fernandez, he was our guy.

For example Arrieta......The Philadelphia Philllies see Jake Arrieta and they see a star who's worth $18,816,000 a year. When I see Jake Arrieta, what I see is an imperfect understanding of where Wins come from. The guy's got a great Strikeout to HR given ratio. He's a decent starter. He can give you over 150+ IP's. But is he worth the $18,816,000 a year that the Philadelphia Phillies are willing to pay him? No. Baseball thinking is medieval. They are asking all the wrong questions. And if I say it to anybody. I'm ostracized. I'm a leper. So that's why I'm cagey about this with you. 2015 Jake Arrieta was a pure grade A beefcake. 2018 Arrieta, is in decline. Take a look at Lance McCullers. now that is an arm that just won't quit. I bet if you pop off those pants, you'll find a bird that just won't quit either. I think the problem is that Jake Arrieta quit. His arm quit. His bird quit and unfortunately, it's not longer legit. I think it's a good thing that GM's are not just offering max contracts to players. I think it opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Sport is in decline. Atlanta has more soccer fans than baseball fans. MLS is the fastest growing sport.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: CWD

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Tbis is Twins / Rays / Oak early 00s textbook.

Teams tired of losing cash annually

Difference between AAA stud and veteren negliable with good coaching and supporting cast

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

It is in the nfl and I like it

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

“There are only two seasons – winter and baseball." ~ Bill Veeck

magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

I have very little interest or sympathy if MLB guys are making $10MM and maybe they should be making $12MM... I suppose I would care if I were an owner, or a player or an agent.

All I know is that another season is coming, and hopefully I will profit from it.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

It doesn't make sense to sign players to long term contracts anymore. In many cases, you are paying for a player's past instead of their future. Teams like the Royals, Cubs, and Astros have shown that. Why give up a draft choice for a regressing player that refused a qualifying offer? Building from within is the way to go now. Look for the players to try and orchestrate an overhaul of the system when the current CBA comes to a close.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    It doesn't make sense to sign players to long term contracts anymore. In many cases, you are paying for a player's past instead of their future. Teams like the Royals, Cubs, and Astros have shown that. Why give up a draft choice for a regressing player that refused a qualifying offer? Building from within is the way to go now. Look for the players to try and orchestrate an overhaul of the system when the current CBA comes to a close.
    yup sadly these new free agents are paying the price for dumb contracts in the past, too many teams signed guys to long deals and over paid teams are getting smarter building thru draft and trades these big name guys all want long deals but they are getting older and not worth it , for a number of years the yankees kept over paying and doing bad deals they got smart and now they are setup nicely i think these guys will have to take 3 and 4 year deals darvish should sign this week

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

This is going on in all sports. Management teams would rather field cheaper draft picks than over paid veterans.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Cubs

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

i'd hate to be a worker like Lloyd in scott boras's offices this off season

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

No guaranteed contracts and a hard cap , with the possibility of end of year bonus structure/ profit sharing would fix a ton of problems in NBA/MLB.

I know it can never happen, but games would be so much better.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    This is going on in all sports. Management teams would rather field cheaper draft picks than over paid veterans.
    And from a business point of view, that is the way it should be. If you want to put the players in their place real quick, start a policy of keeping them thru their first contract, and then dumping them if they demand too much money.

Clutchut12
    Clutchut12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Cubs

Wowza

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Houston going back 2 back

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Agreed it's just teams not wanting to give contracts out that have been proven over and over again to turn bad pretty quickly. They may look okay for a year or 2 but by the end your paying a .250 hitter 20 million a year.

It's amazing to me that the players agree to such long and cheap rookie contracts. I think part of it is that by the time they have any power with in the PA they are only worried about themselves and dont care about the future guys.