Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Konerko agrees to five-year deal with White Sox

First baseman Paul Konerko and the White Sox agreed to a five-year, $60 million deal on Wednesday.

"You have family, all things came into play," Konerko said. "At the end of the day, 'OK, I'm a baseball player and where am I going to feel the best?'"

Konerko had other offers. He had more money out there. He could have tied himself up through 2011 if he'd really wanted to play in an East Coast city with a prominent aquarium.

"But the story here," his agent, Craig Landis, told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "was that Paul just wanted to go back to the White Sox."

So on Wednesday morning, Konerko agreed to return to the White Sox. The deal includes a limited no-trade clause. It's believed that figure was slightly lower than the offer made by the Angels this week.

"Paul didn't decide until [Wednesday] morning," Landis said. "He stewed on it last night. Then we finalized it in the morning. Money aside, this clearly is where he wanted to be.

"Paul really did some soul-searching over the last couple of days," Landis went on. "And he started to realize that, if all else was equal, he wanted to be a member of the Chicago White Sox. He really likes it there. And just as important, he feels people like him there. He knows he has a lot of fans, and he respects that. He even talked about the fact that some kids there would be disappointed if he wasn't back there. Don't get me wrong. If it had to be that way for business, he would have gone another way. But basically, his heart was with the White Sox. And that's why he's going back. It isn't for the money."

Although Konerko spent two days in Anaheim visiting with the Angels this week, the White Sox "were never out of it," Landis said. "They were just giving Paul time to explore other options. They were just waiting for Paul [to be ready] to talk seriously and pull the trigger. Paul finally [got to that point] in the last couple of days."

So Konerko and Landis asked the White Sox, Angels and Orioles for their final offers, then began honing in on making a decision. Landis wouldn't reveal the terms of Konerko's other offers. However, it's believed that while the Orioles never officially offered a sixth season, they were prepared to do so had Konerko told them that's what it would take to close a deal.

"When that offer was rejected late yesterday, we expected the talks to be ongoing," said Orioles executive vice president Mike Flanagan, who wouldn't confirm the figure. "But we sensed earlier today that he was headed back to Chicago."

Indications are that the White Sox had only a four-year proposal out there before the Angels and Orioles offered five-year contracts. So, according to a source monitoring these negotiations, it was the White Sox's move to offer a fifth year that got this deal done.

"I said if I'm going to do it, do it the right way and get what was fair. And the White Sox gave me what was fair," Konerko said.

"There was ongoing dialogue with the White Sox throughout," Landis said. "But it really heated up Monday and Tuesday. They wanted to have it not drag on too long so they could pursue other options if Paul didn't go back. And Paul wanted clarity sooner than some other free agents. It was important for Paul to know where he was going to be. Well, now he knows, and he's very content with how this turned out."

Konerko led the White Sox with 40 homers and 100 RBI last season, hitting .283. He was MVP of the AL Championship Series win over the Los Angeles Angels and hit a grand slam in Game 2 of the World Series sweep over Houston, the first Series title for the White Sox since 1917.

A two-time All-Star, Konerko had an $8.75 million base salary last season, then became a free agent after the Series. Last offseason, Chicago decided not to discuss an extension.

He had five homers and 15 RBI in the postseason as the White Sox swept Boston in the opening round, closed out the Angels in five games as he hit first-inning homers in Games 3 and 4 and then beat the Astros.

Konerko was acquired by the White Sox from Cincinnati in a 1998 trade for Mike Cameron. In seven seasons with the White Sox, Konerko has averaged .283 with 29 home runs and 95 RBI.

Konerko returned just a week after the White Sox acquired Jim Thome from Philadelphia for Aaron Rowand.

"This was the greatest move the White Sox could make to bring me back. I don't have many heroes, but he's one of them. He's one of the guys I've looked up to since I've been in the big leagues," Konerko said of Thome

Now the White Sox project to have a strong middle of the order, with the right-handed Konerko batting cleanup ahead of the left-handed-swinging Thome. Also a first baseman, Thome is coming off an injury-filled shortened season with the Phillies and figures to be the designated hitter.

With Konerko and Thome, it's unclear whether Chicago will try to re-sign Frank Thomas. But the chances would appear to be slim.

GM Kenny Williams said he wouldn't announce a decision on Thomas' future until he had time to talk with the two-time MVP.

Illusion

Being a die hard White Sox fan this is great news.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm suprised that he didn't accept baltimore's offer for more money. most players nowadays go to the highest bidder.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did anyone really expect him to leave the White Sox? He's been inconsistent and I don't think he's worth that kind of money, but he was clutch in the postseason and a proven run producer so I guess that's what matters. I'm sure that Sox fans would have let the team have it had they let Konerko get away too.

Illusion

Now that they have Thome and Konerko signed I wonder where Frank Thomas will be playing next year.