STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Kansas City doesnt come out of the AL, who will?

Basically every team still alive for the playoffs. Kansas City and the Angels the only two "locks" for the post-season imo. Astros will likely be there but not a lock in the slightest. I think their could be a nice longshot come out of the AL this year, and possibly win it all. Im not sure of the current odds on each of these teams, but I know they were recently in the vicinity posted...

Kansas City was 48-50 last year around this point and ended a game from winning it all. A few longshots I like to make a possible run:

Indians (last I saw +3300 to win WS): After a horrid start which saw them with the worst record in the AL after the first month this team is back within 3 games of .500. They had the best starting rotation last year in the AL after the All Star break, and ended up with 85 wins despite a record breakingly bad defense and an anemic offense. Team is very similar again this year but they have a great manager who knows how to get his teams to turn it on late in the year. If they can get over .500 before the trade deadline they could go get a right handed power hitter to really improve the middle of that order. This is what they have desperately needed. If Tampa slips, don't be surprised to see Evan Longoria filling in a huge hole at 3rd base and the cleanup spot.

BlueJays (last I saw +2250 to win WS): In a new league made of pitching and small ball, this Jays team hits like its 1998. Far and away the leagues more potent offense. Although they struggle at times vrs good pitching this team can outscore any one at any time. Their starting pitching has actually been respectable lately, but that bullpen is shaky at best. Any Jays fans out there tell me if there's any promising young starters they could bring up for the stretch run?

Twins (last I saw around +3000 to win WS): Everyone's preseason worst team in the league team is currently 8 games over .500. They beat left handed pitching and have beaten the best of the best starters in the AL. I still dont believe in this team but they have been proving me wrong all season long so far and it doesnt look like they are going away. They always seem to score enough runs depsite not being a great hitting team... and the pitching staff is less than sexy. They dont pass the eye test, they don't have eye popping numbers, they just win. And at the end of the day thats all that matters.

There are three teams I think have a shot at making a run to the postseason. AL is wide wide open this yerar... we could easily see a long shot come out of the AL and win it all. If its not Kansas City, then who?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Blue Jays or Mariners maybe?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Angels

With Trout anything is possible

STAX

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Dont like Seattle at all. Orioles another team that could be there in the end. One of the more underrated bullpens in the league and decent starting pitching to go with a solid offense. AL is so wide open its sick. I like teams with a great manager. Moliter is a great manager, so is Francona. I dont even know who the Jays' manager is, but that offense is so much better than anyone else's I cant help but like them. Also the reason I thin the Tigers are done... Ausmas the worst manager in the AL AINEC

STAX

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Angels

With Trout anything is possible
    Very possible. Their starting pitching is underrated, Scoscia a great manager too. Pen is decent. Lineup is top heavy but still capable. Def the tools to take the AL. Whats their odds currently, do you know? Im guessing +1800ish to win it all... +2000 or more and Id bet it

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Mariners?
    Really?

9 games back in the AL West, dead last, and you expect them to come out of the AL?

Did you double down on your idiot pills today?

(aren't you glad you attacked my wife Bear, this is what you can expect on a daily basis from me)

HardCore
    I Win Some, I Lose Less
    HardCore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

My yankees can come out the AL and it wouldn't shock me 1 bit. Of course we'd have to hide CC from the damn stadium to avoid that disaster in a game 3 or 4 but other than that we are just as good as anyone else in the AL especially KC, has anyone else besides me noticed how horrible their rotation is i mean damn nobodys scared of ventura/guthrie/volquez in a playoff series lol opps i forgot about chris young...LMAO f#ck outta here they not winning the AL.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by HardCore View Post
    My yankees can come out the AL and it wouldn't shock me 1 bit. Of course we'd have to hide CC from the damn stadium to avoid that disaster in a game 3 or 4 but other than that we are just as good as anyone else in the AL especially KC, has anyone else besides me noticed how horrible their rotation is i mean damn nobodys scared of ventura/guthrie/volquez in a playoff series lol opps i forgot about chris young...LMAO f#ck outta here they not winning the AL.
    KC has the most dominant bullpen MLB has seen in a generation, doesn't matter if their rotation is flawed.

STAX

Yeah KC's bullpen is unreal... but the Royals can be beat. A team has to have dominant starting pitching to do so imo. Not just one or two guys, but 3 or 4 starters capable of pitching a gem. Just get out to a lead and never give it up. Easier said than done, but the Indians actually have the starting pitching to do it, they just have to get to the postseason. I think the Blue Jays have the offense to just outscore the Royals, even without a good rotation. I actually took a little bit of the Royals to win it all at +950 about a month ago... so Im rooting for them. Its gonna be hard for any AL to beat them, but IMO Toronto and Cleveland match up the best in a 7 game series. You either have to outscore the Royals early, or have a starting pitcher go 8 or 9 innings. KC plays small ball early in games just to do anything to get a lead. If you can take the early lead on them and make it last, thats about the only way to beat them. If you're down after 6 innings, you got no chance

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Yanks

STAX

Quote Originally Posted by sourtwist View Post
    Yanks
    I dont know man... I cant trust Tanaka and Pineda in pressure games in October, and the Yanks don't have enough offense to get out to an early lead enough to win a 7 game series. I like the Yanks chances of winning the East, but not to beat KC in a 7 game series

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Astros will be in the alcs

STAX

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Astros will be in the alcs
    Astros match up decent with KC but their bullpen could do them in...

johnny99
    johnny99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2853

St Fran

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by STAX View Post
    Astros match up decent with KC but their bullpen could do them in...
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/...hing/split/128

What?

STAX

current odds to win WS,

Jays +3000
    Indians +3300
    Twins+5000

Really like Jays or Indians to give KC all they want if one can sneak in the playoffs...

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2059

got jays at +3600 saturday bol stax

jt315
    jt315's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13778

Orioles flying under the radar.
    To add to Staxs reasons in post 4.
    Best fielding team in league .
    Last edited by jt315; 07-20-15 at 08:55 AM.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

surprised no one likes yankees

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Yanks are healthy now and good of pitching all around as anyone. Put a fork in O's and M's unless they really catch fire they are done. Should be a wild finish no doubt. Remember Kc barely got in last season with a lucky win ov Oak in elimination gm anything's possible. Bats got hot at right time and they caught fire. Now bats are shit again and have been most of season and their "suspect" rotation has over performed I would be surprised if that doesn't catches up and bite them.

Yanks and Stros built best for postseason I guess. Jays and Detroit can crack the hell outta the ball but we know that doesn't win most the time in Oct.

BeanTownClown88
    BeanTownClown88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4131

LAA if they can hit...Astros need a bat too..interesting trade deadline approaching

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Still not a big believer in Balty but for some reason thought they were further out. Take the fork out of them I guess lol

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13182

Quote Originally Posted by BeanTownClown88 View Post
    LAA if they can hit...Astros need a bat too..interesting trade deadline approaching
    Houston is "hot to trot" to get Cueto. If they do, look out.

jt315
    jt315's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13778

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Yanks are healthy now and good of pitching all around as anyone. Put a fork in O's and M's unless they really catch fire they are done. Should be a wild finish no doubt. Remember Kc barely got in last season with a lucky win ov Oak in elimination gm anything's possible. Bats got hot at right time and they caught fire. Now bats are shit again and have been most of season and their "suspect" rotation has over performed I would be surprised if that doesn't catches up and bite them.

Yanks and Stros built best for postseason I guess. Jays and Detroit can crack the hell outta the ball but we know that doesn't win most the time in Oct.
    Royals are a better hitting team than they were last year. 2nd in AL in average. 7th in runs.
    They are well suited going up against power pitchers come playoff time because they don't strike out and give defenses fits with their speed. Haven't missed a beat so far without Gordon also.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Agree on KC they just haven't produced real well lately. I like them from the area and watch a lot of their games so not talking smack. But there #'s are a bit skewed overall considering 1st month they were on absolute fire and have not done much or been consistent since much like they were last year 1h of season.