alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

General baseball question

I was watching the NY Mets game last night and I saw Colon getting ejected for a high ball that hit Jason Werth. It didn't look bad and it didnt hurt Werth.

Then I see this morning that Stanton gets hit in the face with a high ball from Mike Fiers. The difference was nothing happened (no ejection etc) despite Stanton receiving a very serious and sickening injury. The next ball, after a long delay, Fiers happens to hit another batter in the hand and I'm not sure if he gets tossed at this stage (Miami bench emptied at that stage).

Can somone explain why one gets tossed (Colon) and one doesn't (Fiers) ? I'm guessing its INTENT ultimately but Im not sure.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13194

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    I was watching the NY Mets game last night and I saw Colon getting ejected for a high ball that hit Jason Werth. It didn't look bad and it didnt hurt Werth.

Then I see this morning that Stanton gets hit in the face with a high ball from Mike Fiers. The difference was nothing happened (no ejection etc) despite Stanton receiving a very serious and sickening injury. The next ball, after a long delay, Fiers happens to hit another batter in the hand and I'm not sure if he gets tossed at this stage (Miami bench emptied at that stage).

Can somone explain why one gets tossed (Colon) and one doesn't (Fiers) ? I'm guessing its INTENT ultimately but Im not sure.
    Colon got tossed bacause both guys he threw at, the batter before had homered. Fiers, both guys were called out on strikes, believe it or not.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Colon got tossed bacause both guys he threw at, the batter before had homered. Fiers, both guys were called out on strikes, believe it or not.
    Ok, thx. Yes, Colon a kinda cool looking fat guy who reminds me of Jason Dufner (Doesnt show any emotion etc.) looked unphased but of course he was probably super pissed. So, when tossing a guy a lot is to do with what the previous batters have just done on the pitcher. I guess that makes sense.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13194

Ok, thx. Yes, Colon a kinda cool looking fat guy who reminds me of Jason Dufner (Doesnt show any emotion etc.) looked unphased but of course he was probably super pissed. So, when tossing a guy a lot is to do with what the previous batters have just done on the pitcher. I guess that makes sense.
    And of course Fiers didn't try to hit the guy. Well I don't think so. Unfortunately, Stanton kind of turned into it. Too bad really, had a good shot at MVP.

ramfan47
    ramfan47's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8012

You get tossed when the umpire warns both benches, it doesn't matter if it was an accident. Where he hits them and how bad he is hurt has nothing to do with it. It the old days it was common to hit the next batter and someone homers, or to hit the guy that homers his next at bat. The umps now warn both benches hopefully before things get out of hand.