Smutbucket
    Smutbucket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13748

Quote Originally Posted by leetreaper View Post
    You guys post this shit over and over every day, line moves are meaningless in baseball, noticeable in basketball and significant in football, as easy as that...
    I believe line moves are entirely meaningless in every sport.....why ? because the "meaning" can change every day. this "meaning" you seek is controlled by your opponent. He only uses it to deceive you. one day a certain line movement might mean to tail a pick, the next day the same exact line move can lead to an easy fade. therefore it is meaningless to us. they can see the same "public" numbers that a lot of gamblers believe to be accurate public percentages. they can alter their lines accordingly. and after all they control these numbers and only a foolish bookie would release accurate numbers to the betting public of these precious percentages that control how much money they/or we make.

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I like all of those except Texas in theory. I might just square up and hammer the Nationals and nothing else, though.
    There is no "sharp" and "square." Just winners and losers.
    take your own advice and just worry about picking the winner instead of staying away from a team/total because it "sounds square"

PapaDBets
    PapaDBets's Avatar Become A Pro!

In the past, I used to steer clear of a game like San Diego today. I'd go either SD or nothing, because if I had a line of +135 and the books were offering up a +114, I figured the oddsmakers knew something I didn't and that information was baked into the line.

Now, it just seems like games like that or the Giants and the low juice the entire series vs. the Mets are an ATM machine for the public.
    Where do you draw the line on something like that though? If the line is 20+ cents off by your calculations you lay off but if it's 15 cents off you'd play it?

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    That's almost what I did when I backed the Padres today. I was thinking, I'm off by like 25 cents here so the Padres are probably a good bet.

Usually if I'm off only like 10 I would go ahead and play the other side but when I'm that far off I feel like I screwed up somewhere.

We need to work together here and figure something out. Looking at tomorrow, here is what I like. what is everyone's thoughts?

Reds -116
    Nats -115
    Red Sox +115
    Texas +100
    LAA -115

These are leans.
    I like the first two, unsure of the rest as of now. How do you feel about Minny?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by PapaDBets View Post
    Where do you draw the line on something like that though? If the line is 20+ cents off by your calculations you lay off but if it's 15 cents off you'd play it?
    Hard to say. There is no right or wrong answer until after the fact, when it either cashes or depletes your account, and no pattern from one bet to the next. That's what makes gambling so "fun." I wish there were simple answers to this, but in baseball especially, there just isn't.
    Last edited by No coincidences; 06-09-14 at 09:10 AM.

YOUNGBUCK
    YOUNGBUCK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5189

Line moves aren't meaningless in anything

Dancun82
    Dancun82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

I am Irish and living in Ireland but really like watching baseball and having a small flutter every now and then to make it more interesting...I hope it is okay for me to post on this forum, but I was just wondering why should I back the Nats as favs against the Giants at home? My knowledge is very limited and I would just like someone far more knowledgeable than me about this sport to just explain it a little bit.....the Nats are now -121 with my bookie......

Broncos
    Broncos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1023

Does Seattle have a chance today?

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

echun32
    echun32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos View Post
    Does Seattle have a chance today?
    apparently lol..put a small play on them just because of the value..M's should've never been dogged this much.

echun32

I like all of those except Texas in theory. I might just square up and hammer the Nationals and nothing else, though.
    actually really like this play..vogy historically gets rocked by the nats...just can't fade the gigantes...ive learned my lesson too many times

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Yeah I dont like Texas neither...actually really like Cleveland

Smutbucket
    Smutbucket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13748

Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGBUCK View Post
    Line moves aren't meaningless in anything
    why waste your time looking for the meaning of something that always changes. their is no set standard meaning for it. so therefore it is meaningless to us as gamblers....comprende bro? this outside the box thinking might be a little too much for most to handle on these forums.....typical quotes like good ole young bucks right here have been constantly drilled into these forums with no elaboration. the focus is constantly on line moves, fading the public, seeking the sharp play, avoiding betting the square teams, its all so fuking arbitrary if you ask me, no wonder its so rare to find a thread that can consistently handicap winners....you would think if "lines moves meant something" or "had a set meaning" we would have a ton of winning threads throughout the forum.....go figure we don't for a reason, BECAUSE THEY DONT MEAN SHIT. im officially done with this topic though.....spent too many years arguing my point, let the books and their trolls flood the forums with their misinformation, and let the people too stupid to question these theories, regurgitate the same bullshit.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Quote Originally Posted by Smutbucket View Post
    why waste your time looking for the meaning of something that always changes. their is no set standard meaning for it. so therefore it is meaningless to us as gamblers....comprende bro? this outside the box thinking might be a little too much for most to handle on these forums.....typical quotes like good ole young bucks right here have been constantly drilled into these forums with no elaboration. the focus is constantly on line moves, fading the public, seeking the sharp play, avoiding betting the square teams, its all so fuking arbitrary if you ask me, no wonder its so rare to find a thread that can consistently handicap winners....you would think if "lines moves meant something" or "had a set meaning" we would have a ton of winning threads throughout the forum.....go figure we don't for a reason, BECAUSE THEY DONT MEAN SHIT. im officially done with this topic though.....spent too many years arguing my point, let the books and their trolls flood the forums with their misinformation, and let the people too stupid to question these theories, regurgitate the same bullshit.
    You seem to have a strong point of view and I have never seen you post before. Do you mind elaborating on your point of view?

Do you actually think line movement is mostly something that books put out there just to mess with people's heads? I have moved a few lines by betting max on nba quarters and some other events with lower limits and even though my knowledge is nothing comparable to people who make big bucks, the line moved.

So from what I got from a few years of betting is that money do move the lines but you can't consider it an absolute truth because people make mistakes. No one is a 65% lifetime handicapper so they do miss sometimes.

On the other hand, I think books sometimes try to play tricks on bettors. They put soft lines out there (ie Nats -120ish last night against scubs Padres/Stults) and leave it there hanging there with most of the public on Washington to think Padres are the right play. Biggest example was a game at Boston where the Blazers opened at +5.5 or +5 and line was slowly moving all day long up to +2.5 or +3. Blazers obviously lost that game by 20 and a lot of "line movement"sharps got buried. I think it is all relative.

doogtonmai
    doogtonmai's Avatar Become A Pro!

Opening lines are developed to determine the 50/50 chance (well, not really because of 10% juice and 20%+ in-between values of favorite and underdog). Books aim for the guaranteed money, i.e., wagering even on both sides collecting the juice and/or in between value. Lines move on information and to encourage gamblers to put money on the other side to balance the risk. Books DO NOT KNOW the outcome! Once committed to a play, then one should have a few books to shop from to take advantage of the different prices. One should not be swayed by line movements.
    Last edited by doogtonmai; 06-09-14 at 06:53 PM.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I took the Nats (to win 3U) Angels (to win 2U) and Cubs (1U) this morning. Sorry -- posting in a hurry from phone.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Cubs (1U)

Pauulzcappin

A lot of good looking overs on the board tonight

Grand salami over might be a good play

YOUNGBUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Smutbucket View Post
    I'm 10-0 in Rugby never watched it in my life off line moves and weather

bababooey13
    bababooey13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by YOUNGBUCK View Post
    I'm 10-0 in Rugby never watched it in my life off line moves and weather
    NRL rugby line moves have been insanely telling this year.

YOUNGBUCK

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey13 View Post
    NRL rugby line moves have been insanely telling this year.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

You can't blindly follow line movement, nor write it off as meaningless. You'd be naive and foolish not to consider why it happens or how it happens. You'd be equally naive and foolish to assume chasing steam will produce instant results, especially in this day and age. Books have had no choice but to adjust to the Internet era where previously-considered "inside information" is simply a Twitter account away. Line movement is much more complicated now, as it should be. That doesn't mean you just write it off, though.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

J.A. Happ is -169 on Tuesday.

J.A. Happ.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Lean Twins, Tribe, Fish, Reds for Tuesday so far.

Colts Pacer
    Colts Pacer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5145

It's hard to bet against Kluber. He's been amazing all year and I've made a lot of money off him. Looking forward to seeing the line at Heritage. If it's reasonable, I'm on it. Like less than -135

BayArea888
    BayArea888's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5860

Quote Originally Posted by Colts Pacer View Post
    It's hard to bet against Kluber. He's been amazing all year and I've made a lot of money off him. Looking forward to seeing the line at Heritage. If it's reasonable, I'm on it. Like less than -135
    I'm actually seeing Kluber at close to even money...not sure what to think, but I know with that line, a shitload of money will be on Cleveland. If u like em, buy now?

The line that sticks out to me the most is the NYY@SEA line. My initial reaction is that the wrong team is favored here, by at least 30-40 cents...anyone care to enlighten me on this line? What am I missing? C'mon, it's Nuno pitching for the Yanks!

whtsox13
    Update your status
    whtsox13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Hope you got the 'Danks fade' in early.

Pauulzcappin

The reason Kluber isn't -125 is that Tribe sucks against lefties. Still a solid play, this guy is a monster.

BayArea888
    BayArea888's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5860

Quote Originally Posted by BayArea888 View Post
    I'm actually seeing Kluber at close to even money...not sure what to think, but I know with that line, a shitload of money will be on Cleveland. If u like em, buy now?

The line that sticks out to me the most is the NYY@SEA line. My initial reaction is that the wrong team is favored here, by at least 30-40 cents...anyone care to enlighten me on this line? What am I missing? C'mon, it's Nuno pitching for the Yanks!
    line has adjusted...

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Lean Twins, Tribe, Fish, Reds for Tuesday so far.
    Missed some great numbers not locking some of these in last night. Damn.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by whtsox13 View Post
    Hope you got the 'Danks fade' in early.
    Given the Tigers' current form and how Danks has been pitching lately, that's a no play for me.

whtsox13
    Update your status
    whtsox13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Given the Tigers' current form and how Danks has been pitching lately, that's a no play for me.
    Saw a good# early and jumped from my perception of JV vs Sox and in Chicago. Wagered mostly blind.
    AL Central is ridiculous.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by whtsox13 View Post
    Saw a good# early and jumped from my perception of JV vs Sox and in Chicago. Wagered mostly blind.
    AL Central is ridiculous.
    Verlander just isn't right. His velocity is down and pitch placement has been horrible. And the Sox can hit.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Taking Cubs and Twins for a unit. Reds to win 3U. Tribe to win 2U.

Pauulzcappin

Taking Cubs and Twins for a unit. Reds to win 3U. Tribe to win 2U.
    why are you not posting the lines anymore? don't you think this big move on the reds are weird?

echun32

thoughts on A's?

First ... 979899100101102103 ... Last