bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clemens "Claims" he's no closer to decision

I think a better title to the article would be "where is he going to be pitching this year.

Clemens no closer to decision

HUMBLE, Texas (AP) -- Roger Clemens was greeted by a group of autograph-seeking fans as he walked off the 18th green during a pro-am event at Redstone Golf Club on Wednesday.

"Are you coming back?" someone asked.

"I'll know in about a month," Clemens answered.

The 44-year-old is no closer to deciding whether he'll return for a 23rd season. He set no timetable, but repeated that he'll choose among the Houston Astros, New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

Clemens said his agents, Alan and Randy Hendricks, will let him know when he can't put off his decision any longer.

"They're great at what they do and they'll call me and say, `Listen, it's time to either make a decision or not,"' the seven-time Cy Young Award winner said. "It could come next week, it could come in 2-3 months, who knows?"

Clemens hinted that he'll pick the team he thinks has the best chance to win the World Series.

"I need a solid reason to do this," Clemens said. When asked what a solid reason would be, Clemens said, "To feel like I could contribute and to win, to know we have an outstanding chance to win and to be a part of something special."

Clemens said he's healthy and ready to pitch, but still needs to mentally prepare for a season.

"My arm's not too far off, my body is not too far off," he said. "My mind's just not there yet."

During Wednesday's round with Lee Westwood, who's competing in this week's Houston Open, Clemens wore a white baseball cap with "World Series 2005" emblazoned on the front. Clemens said he's heard from Chris Burke and other former Houston teammates, urging him to come back.

The only firm plan Clemens has now is to follow his oldest son, Koby, a minor-leaguer in the Astros system.

Clemens also said he'll fly to New York in the coming weeks to see close friend Andy Pettitte pitch for the Yankees. Pettitte said Tuesday his sore back is feeling better and the Yankees are confident he'll make his first regular-season start.

Clemens and Pettitte spent four seasons together in New York and most of the last three in Houston.

"I told him he's getting older and he needs to use a weight belt on his squats," Clemens said. "It's good for all of us."

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

depends when he gets his next shipment of roids/hgh

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by goldengoat View Post
    depends when he gets his next shipment of roids/hgh
    any proof or are you talking out of your golden ass?

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clemens is a tool. Everyone knows he's waiting until May to see which team is in the best positions before he rapes them for 15-20 mill for the rest of the season.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Everyone knows he's waiting until May to see which team is in the best positions before he rapes them for 15-20 mill for the rest of the season.
    You mean like he didn't do last season?

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    You mean like he didn't do last season?
    He did and it's complete bs!! In his defense though he is one of only a few players that can get away with something like this.

Just imagine Michael Jordan doing something like this back in '97.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

I mean he didn't go for the team most likely to win the WS - not by any stretch of the imagination. I agree, though, he's probably the only pitcher around today who can get away with it - good for him.

And with the likes of Zito being "worth" $18 million a year, the $22 million pro-rata that Houston paid last year was an absolute steal.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post

Just imagine Michael Jordan doing something like this back in '97.
    Correct me if i'm wrong here, but didn't he do that when he first unretired in like 94?