stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Blue Jays option Ricky Romero to Single A minors

Ricky Romero’s fall from grace was complete Tuesday when hours after his start against the Pittsburgh Pirates the Blue Jays decided to option the left-hander to class-A Dunedin to work on his delivery.

The No. 1 pitcher in the Jays rotation the previous two seasons, Romero was dropped down to No. 5 entering spring training because of his miserable 2012 season — 9-14 in 32 starts with a 5.77 ERA and a season where he forged a 13-game losing streak — and the off-season acquisitions by general manager Alex Anthopoulos who acquired R.A. Dickey, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle in trades.

J.A. Happ, who has been impressive this spring — a 1.89 ERA in six appearances including five starts — will take over in Romero’s spot.

Anthopoulos said the decision was made following a four-way conversation with manager John Gibbons, pitching coach Pete Walker and assistant GM Tony LaCava.

In the past few weeks the Jays have tinkered with Romero’s mechanics, specifically his landing spot on the mound in an effort to have him in a straighter line to the plate and throw less across his body.

“After today’s game we sat down and talked for quite a while,” Anthopoulos said. “Ricky was better today and he’s making strides but he’s not there yet. Ultimately, the more we thought about it, could we have started with him — sure. If he’s not ready and as sharp as he needs to be, he needs more time.”

Romero will get all the time he needs with Dunedin as Anthopoulos said there is no timetable for his return.

Anthopoulos and company thought that Romero’s performance Tuesday was better than his previous start in a minor-league game against the Pirates class-A team. But it didn’t nearly offer enough progress.

“He’s making strides but like we told him we just ran out of time to get him where he needs to be,” Anthopoulos said. “That’s ultimately what it came down to.”

Not counting his disaster against the class-A Pirates five days ago, Romero has forged a 6.23 ERA in five spring starts. He has not looked sharp in any of them.

Anthopoulos said that Romero, 28, agreed with the decision that he needs more time to get back to the pitcher he was in 2011 when he went 15-11 with a 2.92 ERA.

“From his standpoint he understood. He’s a pro,” Anthopoulos said. “It’s always a tough conversation but he knows he’s not as sharp as he needs to be and it’s going to take a little more time.”

Anthopoulos said the tough thing they are asking of Romero is to change his delivery, his landing spot so close to the regular season. He can’t go out and work on things in the regular season when every game counts so he’ll have all the time and far less pressure to right the ship in Dunedin.

“It’s not the Ricky that we know that he can be,” Anthopoulos said. “When you’re at the big-league level it’s hard to continue to work on things so we’re going to take a little more time to get him back to where he can be.”

Anthopoulos added that the decision had nothing to do with Happ’s performance this spring.

“No and that’s not taking anything away from J.A.,” he said. “This was about Ricky. He’s been a horse for us and it’s about getting him right and getting him straight and obviously the sooner the better for us.”

Anthopoulos said they hadn’t been thinking about the move for a long time, that it came together after his start Tuesday and looking back at the others. It came out of the four-way discussion.

Anthopoulos said that with Dunedin they won’t be looking for results as much as how he adapts and performs.
    “Ultimately with him it will come down to how does it look, how’s the command and how’s his balance going towards home plate,” Anthopoulos said.

The Jays have overhauled pitchers in the past, the most famous and most successful being Roy Halladay.

But Anthopoulos said what they are asking of Romero is not as drastic as the complete makeover they did with Halladay.
    “I don’t think so at all, that was a total overhaul — arm slot, delivery — this is more lower half and is something we’ve done with him in the past,” Anthopoulos said.

After all the acquisitions, the Jays said they were going for it in 2013, that they would put the best 25 players they had on the field.

Romero wasn’t among that group and the Jays kept their promise.

It’s as simple as that.

stevenash

Wow !
    Florida State League demotion!

That's like baseball prison.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Paco's boy.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

He will be back. Banging a hot Iranian.

rcene
    rcene's Avatar Become A Pro!

Got beat out by Happ.

That is the lowest of lows.

Romero is done

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Freddy Garcia got released by the Padres. The guy use to be a work horse but Romero still was young.

rcene

He is just 28, but sucked last year with a near 6 earned run avg.

Then same shit from last year was happening this spring.

Looks to be done

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Fukk, made a lot of money fading him down the stretch last year. You could tell his stuff was gone.

rcene

Me too.

No velocity on his stuff or sink.

Was batting practice and an Atm machine. Fukkkkin had a nice cash against him that was +160.

Definitely will miss Romero, may have to fade Morrow now. He should be over priced early on

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by rcene View Post
    Me too.

No velocity on his stuff or sink.

Was batting practice and an Atm machine. Fukkkkin had a nice cash against him that was +160.

Definitely will miss Romero, may have to fade Morrow now. He should be over priced early on
    Jays will be overpriced all season.

Joey Bats better have a monster come back, because Encarncion was a fluke last year. Jays have to open with Izturis at third, Lind doesn't scare anybody, Rasmus has trouble reaching base, and Arencebia can't hit his weight.

rcene

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Jays will be overpriced all season.

Joey Bats better have a monster come back, because Encarncion was a fluke last year. Jays have to open with Izturis at third, Lind doesn't scare anybody, Rasmus has trouble reaching base, and Arencebia can't hit his weight.
    We are on the same page Steve.

I think Dickey and Morrow will be way over priced early.

I plan on fading both.

Buehrle is always a coin toss, and for my money when Happ is favored I am fading him too.

Johnson should dominate this year, so I am not going to be interested in going against him.

The pressure is on that team without a doubt. They want the playoffs this year, and even though the Yanks are down. The Orioles and Rays are very good

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

time to ankiel this guy

I'm sure he could outhit 9 of the 14 "hitters" on the Astros 25 man

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by rcene View Post
    He is just 28, but sucked last year with a near 6 earned run avg.

Then same shit from last year was happening this spring.

Looks to be done
    28 and regressing is not a good thing.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Damn. Kid lost it.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Encarncion was a fluke last year.
    why do you think that? not arguing, just asking

looks pretty good to the untrained eye (me)

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Well hey guys it happens. Ya can't stay on top of your game forever.

He has had a very admirable career, he has a lot to be proud of. A couple years ago i remember when i first started reading the SBR forum a guy named Paco used to always say Romero was his " racial word" but he used to always bet big on Romero b/c he was so consistent. The Blue Jays will be fine without him, hopefully Drabek is able to come back and join the rotation this season.

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

The issue is his mechanics. Just like a few seasons ago, and he figured it out then, so hopefully he can again. The Jays knew they were going big this offseason so, they honestly should have demoted him last summer to work on his mechanics, then he comes back in september and then Jays do their off season shit and he comes into this season with better mechanics (hopefully), and at the bottom of the rotation, removing any real pressure. Then he goes out and has fun and wins some games.

But god awful owners Rogers did not want to do that because Ricky was the face of Toronto. They were scurred that no Ricky meant no fans coming to see the team lose.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

something is wrong with that organization. they have some good young pitchers but none of them can blossom for some reason.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    why do you think that? not arguing, just asking

looks pretty good to the untrained eye (me)
    Because he never hit more than 26 homers before in his life before last season, every one of his across the board numbers last season far exceeded anything he did in the past......

It was a career year, and I don't expect it happening again, but props for his career year last year.

g_sept1
    g_sept1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Romero was awful last season. I believe he went 7-1 in his first 8 starts, and lost every start after that.

OMGRandyJackson

Because he never hit more than 26 homers before in his life before last season, every one of his across the board numbers last season far exceeded anything he did in the past......

It was a career year, and I don't expect it happening again, but props for his career year last year.
    The good news is with that lineup now and a healthy Joey Bats, they can afford for him to regress. Hoping its not a hard regress to his pre 2012 stats lol!

Smutbucket
    Smutbucket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13748

Quote Originally Posted by g_sept1 View Post
    Romero was awful last season. I believe he went 7-1 in his first 8 starts, and lost every start after that.
    7-1 first 8 starts isnt awful. he always struggles down the stretch....last year was just a little more than usual....

I stopped watching em towards mid-end season when he was getting crushed so I dunno really what went wrong....games Ive always watched em the last couple years he looked damn good.

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by Smutbucket View Post
    I dunno really what went wrong....games Ive always watched em the last couple years he looked damn good.
    His command was off. He was thinking WAY too much. Couldnt make the correct pitch at all in most situations. Got way too frustrated on the mound every game.

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Capnick
    Capnick's Avatar Become A Pro!

Knew that was coming... Velocity way down... Dickey not winning more than 13..... Buehrle old... Blue jays not gonna be as good as everybody thinks...Watch.... The rays will win the al east w/ that pitching....

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Capnick View Post
    The rays will win the al east w/ that pitching....
    After Price the rotation is good, not great.
    Hellickson is at most a 13 game winner, good control, but doesn't scare hitters.
    Matt Moore so far has proven he's a .500 pitcher.
    Alex Cobb and Nieman at the back end of the rotation are ordinary at best.

Capnick

Hellickson 13 wins? Matt moore .500? not gonna be better at 23 years old after a full season, his first full season by the way...Dude, your way off base....

Capnick

Cobb is a rising star... Get back to me in 60 days, we will see...

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Wow !
    Florida State League demotion!

That's like baseball prison.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Capnick View Post
    Hellickson 13 wins? Matt moore .500? not gonna be better at 23 years old after a full season, his first full season by the way...Dude, your way off base....
    Jeremy Hellickson, RHP TB Hellickson is an interesting case, as sabermetrics don't agree with his success at all. He has been last in baseball in ERA minus FIP in each of the last two seasons with -1.50 in 2012 and -1.49 in 2011. In 402.1 major league innings, he has posted mediocre strikeout and walk rates (6.13 K/9, 3.11 BB/9) and a BABIP of .244. The biggest reasons Hellickson has had success - and with a 3.06 career ERA, he has been highly successful - is his dominance with men on base. His strand rate of 82.7 percent led baseball last season, and before you go predicting regression in 2013, check out his strand rate in 2011: 82 percent, second in baseball. He was at 80 percent in limited action in 2010, 79.7 percent at Triple-A in 2010, and above 80 percent in 152 Double-A innings.