stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Yankees to Sign Travis Hafner to 1-Year Deal for 2013

(Doug Rush reporting)

Talk about not wasting any time.

The New York Yankees moved rather quickly in their pursuit for a designated hitter for the 2013 season.
    On Wednesday, we had first heard the team's interest in signing former Cleveland Indians slugger Travis Hafner.
    Chad Jennings of the Journal News was the first to break the news that the Bombers and the 35-year-old Hafner will agree on a one-year-deal.
    The deal is still waiting to be announced either later on Thursday or Friday, but it looks like it will be in the range of a one-year, $1.1 million deal.
    Jon Heyman of CBS Sports and WFAN also confirmed the deal, and said it will be a major-league deal.

On Wednesday night, we talked about if adding Hafner to the Yankees' lineup would be a wise move, in which 80 percent of the vote in the story felt that it would be a good move.
    The contract that Jennings reported in his story for Hafner is the same value that the Yankees gave Raul Ibanez last season, which ended up being a bargain given how many big home runs he hit for the team.
    Hafner is coming off two consecutive injury-riddled seasons, including hitting .228 with 12 home runs and 34 RBI for the Tribe in 2012 while only playing in 66 games.
    After making $13 million in 2012, the Indians decided to buy out Hafner's option for 2013, which made him a free agent after spending 10 years with Cleveland.

While the team is going to give him a guaranteed contract, it's still a low-risk signing with the potential of a high-reward given that once upon a time ago, Hafner used to hit 30-40 home runs in a season.
    The Yankees have had luck in recent years with the one-year signings of veterans such as Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, Eric Chavez and the latest being Ibanez.
    Hafner could fall into this group as well if he can stay healthy, be a patient hitter and drive the ball.
    Overall, I like the signing and I think it'll work out for the Yankees.
    Stay tuned, Yankees Universe.

stevenash

I loved to watch Pronk hit in his prime, but he's done.
    I get it, cheap lefty bat, but i don't know what he can do as a DH?
    16-70-.260 maybe?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

He's gotta stay healthy and get back on PEDs

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

18 home runs 64 rbis .253

He sucks nash

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

he is a good bench player nothing more, might be able to fill in a spot for a few days if some one is hurt. i am assuming he is only going to DH?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    He's gotta stay healthy and get back on PEDs
    2006 anybody?
    He *had* to be juiced that season.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

lolol another 35+ year old player .. cant find any young talent???