stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32329

Former Oriole Doug DeCinces charged with securities fraud, money laundering

Back in 2011 former Orioles and Angels third baseman Doug DeCinces was charged with insider trading arising out of a tip he received regarding the buyout of a medical devices company by Abbott Labs. It was a civil charge, filed by the SEC, and he settled the charges for $2.5 million.
    But civil charges weren’t good enough, it seems, because he has now been charged criminally in the matter: he was indicted yesterday on 42 counts of securities fraud and a count of money laundering. Each of the fraud counts carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
    Obviously it’s hard to get details from an AP report, but unless this involves something totally different than the case which he settled (civilly, anyway) in 2011, I don’t know how you wring 42 charges out of it. He got a tip. He told a few friends. They bought stock and cashed out. About as simple as it gets.
    He reportedly made $1.3 million out of the transaction so it’s possible that instead of one big buy he purchased stock in, like, 21 separate buys and the feds are charging each one. They tend to do things like that.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32329

I always thought he was kind of shady, even as a player.

Doug pulling one out of the Martha Stewart playbook I see.

Come to think about it, anybody see Eddie Murray lately.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

i saw doug decinces hit two dongs against the yankees when he was with the angels

it was the same game don mattingly got kissed by big tittied morganna