PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Phillies Got Wilton Lopez

Very good relief pitcher to set up Papelbon.

Good move.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ez_Astros.html

RetardStrength
    RetardStrength's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6729

Pitching isn't the problem...

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by RetardStrength View Post
    Pitching isn't the problem...
    8th inning setup man was definitely a problem for them last year.

RetardStrength

As a philly sports fan, I won't disagree with you whole-heartedly... But, when our starters go 7-9 innings and allow 1-3 runs, and we can't put up even 1, I see that as the bigger issue. With that being said, the addition of a setup guy will be great, IF we learn how to swing the bat

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by RetardStrength View Post
    As a philly sports fan, I won't disagree with you whole-heartedly... But, when our starters go 7-9 innings and allow 1-3 runs, and we can't put up even 1, I see that as the bigger issue. With that being said, the addition of a setup guy will be great, IF we learn how to swing the bat
    I agree. Much of what you say is true, however, how many times last season did the Phillies come out of the 7th inning with a lead only to blow it in the 8th?

Quite a few times, so you'd have to believe the 8th inning was a source of concern for them entering this offseason. Good to see they are actively addressing their needs.

The other point you make about the lack of offense is spot on. Bottom line is...Cliff Lee last season on a decent offensive team gets nearly 20 wins. They never scored for him. It was terrible to watch him give one superlative effort after another and them not win him the game.

After this move, they need to add a 3rd baseman and a centerfielder or a right-handed power bat, hopefully both.

RetardStrength

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    I agree. Much of what you say is true, however, how many times last season did the Phillies come out of the 7th inning with a lead only to blow it in the 8th?

Quite a few times, so you'd have to believe the 8th inning was a source of concern for them entering this offseason. Good to see they are actively addressing their needs.

The other point you make about the lack of offense is spot on. Bottom line is...Cliff Lee last season on a decent offensive team gets nearly 20 wins. They never scored for him. It was terrible to watch him give one superlative effort after another and them not win him the game.

After this move, they need to add a 3rd baseman and a centerfielder or a right-handed power bat, hopefully both.
    We're on the same page...

I truly believe a much better season overall is around the corner... Phillies were an NL favorite, and they didn't live up to the hype... Injuries early in the season, lack of overall motivation (you could just see it in their play when you compared it to the end of the season after trading away multiple big names). It was like they took the field on day 1 and had collected the NL championship without ever playing a game...

If anything, last year was a great thing. Humbling for such an NL powerhouse to no longer be "the best" in that division. Now they have to compete with Washington for the first time ever, and there aren't many total slouches left in the division...

I honestly can't wait for this upcoming season