Leo Bello
    Leo Bello's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 633

Locals using 1-1½ (split line) run lines.

We still have a few locals using the old (called split line or Eastern line) run lines for baseball. For example, tonight might include Giants 1-1½ runs over the Astros, i.e., Giants would be -1½ runs (lay 11-10) over the Astros, who would be +1 run (lay 11-10) against the Giants. Or tomorrow (Sunday) San Francisco might be 1½-2 runs over Houston using the same example of San Fran -2 runs and Houston +1½ runs. Anyone see this used in their geographical area (local BMs, of course). Also to Justin or you math guys, how does this old usage stand up against our current use of run lines used by Vegas or Offshore books. This might be interesting to newbies who might never have seen lines like these used. This question is why I enjoy reading SBR, since where else could a poster receive any intelligent insight into things like this. Is my area the only place this is still used despite it being archaic?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I do not think any books offer the Eastern Line

Old School , I love betting -110 period

Leo good post

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Seems like you could destroy betting dogs......If I'm reading this right

Bushay
    Bushay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1705

He already got his juice in the split line. Why would either play be -110. Tell him to go F himself.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Seems like you could destroy betting dogs......If I'm reading this right
    Your reading wrong. A standard point spread is the same line on each side

IE Heat -5
    Thunder +5

In a split line the line would be

Heat -6
    Thunder +5

In baseball lines are usually -1.5/+1.5. In a split line it would be -2/+1.5

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    Your reading wrong. A standard point spread is the same line on each side

IE Heat -5
    Thunder +5

In a split line the line would be

Heat -6
    Thunder +5

In baseball lines are usually -1.5/+1.5. In a split line it would be -2/+1.5
    If the dogs are +1.5 (-110) you could make a killing, no?

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    If the dogs are +1.5 (-110) you could make a killing, no?
    Overlooked that. Yes if the bookie keeps lines at -110 then it would present good value

Leo Bello

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I do not think any books offer the Eastern Line

Old School , I love betting -110 period

Leo good post
    Thanks, JJ, for your reply. No Nevada or Offshore books use it. However, there are big and reputable locals I know of that do use it. Just for irony and proving my post, just look at my original post quoting San Francisco as 1-1½ run favorites over Houston. The game ended San Fran 3-2 over Houston. All Houston bets would have tied, and all San Fran bets would have lost. It's a bad bet for players, I'll grant you that. I think of all who replied to the post, you and one other guy were the only ones who really understood my post. The guy who said "the juice is already figured in with the odds, and f--- that 11-10" knew what he was talking about as well. It is "Old School." Thanks for replying JJ.

Leo Bello

Quote Originally Posted by Bushay View Post
    He already got his juice in the split line. Why would either play be -110. Tell him to go F himself.
    You are absolutely correct Bushay.

Leo Bello

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    Overlooked that. Yes if the bookie keeps lines at -110 then it would present good value
    No, you are missing the point. This is a very old school line that would give 1 run to the underdog (lay 11-10) and make the favorite lay -1½ runs (lay 11-10). The only game I saw tonight that would qualify was San Francisco 1-1½ runs over Houston. So with San Fran winning 3-2, all players who bet on Houston with +1 run would tie (no bet), and all those who bet San Fran -1½ runs would have lost. All wagers would lay 11 to win 10. Old-time local (and still some present day) bookmakers used to employ it as a defense against a premium club that is using a top-notch pitcher against a really bad team. This is an unusual year in that premium pitchers are getting pounded. Many years you can have a big bettor who sticks with top-notch pitchers and doesn't mind laying -220 or -260, and he can do some serious damage. These split lines or sometimes they are called an Eastern line, rise exponentially depending upon the odds to 1½-2 runs or 2-2½ runs or even 2½-3 runs, remembering that the dog gets the smaller number and the favorite must lay the larger number. It is doubtful you will ever see such lines, but at least you know they exist and can add it to your gambling knowledge. Hope this helps explain it better.

shooterman
    shooterman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18498

I have bet these lines for many years. They are even money on either side. There can be excellent value for scalping or just taking a shot. My local still uses these lines. One of the things I love about baseball season actually...

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

if the bookie is keeping ties on one side then they should each be +100 instead of -110

any bookies that are still doing this are going to be taken advantage of in certain cases