Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Andruw Jones claimed on waivers; 10-5 rights loom

I wonder which team claimed him off waivers, Boston maybe?

With Andruw Jones only days away from gaining trade veto power, the All-Star center fielder was claimed on waivers by an unnamed team, leaving the Braves until 1 p.m. ET Saturday to decide whether to take their last opportunity to deal Jones unfettered.

That Jones was placed on waivers is unremarkable; he was one of hundreds of players, including many stars, who were placed on waivers earlier this week. What makes Jones' situation interesting is that on Aug. 15, he will gain 10-and-5 rights -- 10 years in the big leagues, five with the same team -- to block any proposed trade.

Multiple teams placed claims on Jones, according to major-league sources. But on Thursday afternoon, one team was awarded a claim on Jones. Now the Braves have two choices -- either work out a trade with the team who placed the claim by Saturday or pull Jones back from waivers. If they pull him back, they cannot trade him again for the rest of this season.

Jones' value in the trade market is relatively high right now, because he is a highly productive player locked up for only one more year -- at $13.5 million -- at a time when players like Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee might command $70 million packages on the free-agent market.

The Boston Red Sox tried to deal for Jones leading up to the trade deadline, with some intent to try to flip him to the Houston Astros for Roy Oswalt. Some scouts also think that the Los Angeles Angels, who've been looking for a bat, might have high interest in Jones.

Atlanta GM John Schuerholz, reached on his cell phone, said Friday afternoon that he would not comment on the team's internal business.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4699

Only crap, a quote wrapped article, with a comment.

I hope the Twins claimed him. This way the White Sox would have no chance at making the playoffs this year.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Red Sox are the only team that can reasonably expect to make a trade for him (supposedly Lester, Hansen, Crisp). That move would benefit both teams in my opinion.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    The Red Sox are the only team that can reasonably expect to make a trade for him (supposedly Lester, Hansen, Crisp). That move would benefit both teams in my opinion.

I agree, it would benefit both teams if it went through but this trade was attempted already and failed because Boston didnt want to include both Hansen and Lester...
    Maybe Varitek's injury and the Yanks late surge made them change their mind.
    His a great player, I think he could improve his average a little bit an become a superstar...
    Anyway, I personally think he's a bargain at 13.5 mil for 07.
    The Braves will keep him imo.

jesterson
    jesterson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    The Braves will keep him imo.
    Idunno, if they can get some quality young pitching, I think they'll let him go. That's how they built their dynasty, and it's the "Brave" way. Plus, they've got some good young offensive talent and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a push at Floyd should the Mets let him walk and Andruw be gone.

BTW Bulldog, the Mets' pen is really scaring me these days...hopefully they'll work it out before season's end, but when you're best non-closer reliever gives up a bomb right away, it can't be a good sign....something's not right, it's been weird the past couple games.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jesterson
    Idunno, if they can get some quality young pitching, I think they'll let him go. That's how they built their dynasty, and it's the "Brave" way. Plus, they've got some good young offensive talent and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a push at Floyd should the Mets let him walk and Andruw be gone.

BTW Bulldog, the Mets' pen is really scaring me these days...hopefully they'll work it out before season's end, but when you're best non-closer reliever gives up a bomb right away, it can't be a good sign....something's not right, it's been weird the past couple games.
    You might be right about the Braves letting Andrew go but
    I dont think Floyd will go to Atlanta. He´s been injured a lot and probably wont get a long contract.
    Thats too bad cause he had talent, Im still hanging on to his rookie card just in case.

I told you I didnt like the moves they made to replace Sanchez. It wasnt their fault I think, timing just killed them...
    The good thing is that they have a long time to put it together.
    BTW, have a good time at the game on Sunday. Its on ESPN so I´ll be watching

sergfro
    sergfro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Sources say 6 scouts were sent to see the Rangers play yesterday. Indicating the rangers might get Andrew Jones so the angels dont claim him

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Only crap, a quote wrapped article, with a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    I hope the Twins claimed him. This way the White Sox would have no chance at making the playoffs this year.
    Cheers to that.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Texas???

I'd love to see a team average 9 runs a game in winning the World Series. (With an ERA of 7.40 of course.)