doc
    doc's Avatar Become A Pro!

AL Central - Who gets left out?

All right after days like today the question is even more difficult to answer.

Who gets left out of the playoffs from the AL CENTRAL?

I say the White Sox have the weakest rotation of the 3 and that keeps them out.

How bout you fellas?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i still feel minny will be the odd team out of the playoffs.

even with them being on the tear there on right now, i just don't feel they can dig themselves out of the hole they burried in.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Twins slow start to the season is ultimately gonna leave them out. They are red hot right now and should come back to earth after the break. Even if they stay mildly hot they still have to make up eight games or so on the White Sox and 10 games on the Tigers and I just don't see that happening.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4687

White Sox. Ozzie and company will fade in the 2nd half. Twins have better pitching and will surpass the White Sox.

Illusion

The Twins better start winning on the road then because they are 10 games below .500 (15-25) away from the dome.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Twins will be left out....

not mofome
    not mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

tigers and white sox will make the playoffs. twins cant
    win on road and liriano and santana can't pitch every game.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by mofome
    liriano and santana can't pitch every game.
    Another excellent point.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Im pretty sure everyone knows that.
    But the whole pitching staff has seem to get it together for the time being. They just need to keep it up down the stretch.

What about the White Sox? Contreras is the only one pitching well these days (and thats surprising). Garland, Buehrle and Vazquez have been getting touched up as of late. Not to mention that bullpen before they can get to Jenks.

So can I say. Contreras cant pitch everyday.

Illusion

Both teams have exact same era at 4.33 but the White Sox lead the majors with 466 runs scored (that's 25 more runs than the next closest team) Oh yeah, they can also win on the road.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Can the Twins win on the ROAD Illusion? Im not sure, and I really dont want to go searching through ESPN or Covers for that stuff.

Illusion

Then don't argue then. My stats hold water atleast.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Not arguing. Just trying to spark up a debate here, and you seem to be making a joke of it with the ROAD comment in your posts. I caught it the first time, no need to repeat it, as I read the whole thread.

Illusion

First comment was the Twins couldn't win on the road. Second comment was the White Sox could. That's two different statements regarding what the two teams can and can not do. I made an arguement about runs scored and how both teams have the same era. So, the only joke here is the fact you haven't backed up your arguement as to why the Twins will pass up the White Sox.
    Last edited by Illusion; 07-03-06 at 04:24 AM. Reason: changed sentence

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    First comment was the Twins couldn't win on the road. Second comment was the White Sox could. That's two different statements regarding what the two teams can and can not do. I made an arguement about runs scored and how both teams have the same era. So, the only joke here is the fact you haven't backed up your arguement.
    Well it sure does seem like your beating the ROAD issue to death.

Do you want me to go to Covers and ESPN to look up stats to prove a point? Nah, I will leave that up to you. I will just express my views on the race. Will they be right, maybe not. But my views none the less.

So take your cup off stats back to Covers or where ever you dug it up, so they can refill it for you. Remember, I have those links too.

not mofome

boston red sox are the best team in al right now.

Illusion

Damn, I didn't know it was such a crime to back my point with numbers...shame on me.

not mofome

minnesota road record is 15-25 illusion posted accurate
    information also boston will win ws

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Damn, I didn't know it was such a crime to back my point with numbers...shame on me.
    Never said there was anything wrong with it. Im just not impressed with them, and there is still roughly 4 months left to play. So your 1st half numbers mean nothing to me right now.

Of coarse Im not going to state numbers on the Twins, their first half numbers arent that great because it seems they are making their run now. Wouldnt be bright of me to post sorry numbers that dont prove a thing for the Twins. Things have been improving for them, and should continue on after the Allstar break. Thats what I feel anyway.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Can the Twins win on the ROAD Illusion? Im not sure, and I really dont want to go searching through ESPN or Covers for that stuff.

the last time they won a world series, they had a losing road record. needless to say it can be done.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

To me its pretty clear that tha White Sox are a far better team than the Twins are.
    Minnesota is the team who gets left out, I dont think its even gonna be close.

paul2650
    paul2650's Avatar Become A Pro!

No one thinks there's a chance Detroit could go cold?

The played a "pressure" series against the Yanks, and dropped three in a row.

For a team in the race for the first time ever, it wouldn't shock the hell out of me if they dropped something like 15 or 16 out of 20 and fell back to earth.

I see (obviously) the Winner of the AL West in the playoffs, with Boston, New York, Toronto, Chicago, Detroit, and Minny battling it out for the other 3 spots.

It's conceivable that two teams from the AL Central could get shut out, I think.
    Last edited by paul2650; 07-04-06 at 10:49 AM.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Absolutely Paul, I think the wild card might come out of the AL East this year again as it always does and I also think Chicago will win the AL Central.

paul2650
    paul2650's Avatar Become A Pro!

Detroit has 32 games left against the White Sox, Yankees, Twins, and Red Sox.

let's say the play poorly, the pressure gets to them, and they go 11-21 in those 32 games.

Give them a 24-23 in their other 47 games, add that to their present 56-27, and they finish up at 91-71.

For Minnesota to beat that, they'd need to go 46-35 the rest of the way, Toronto would need to go 46-34, and the Yankees 46-36.

The key is a semi-collapse by Detroit, bu even if the Tigers play better than what I suggested could happen above, so could any of the other three teams who are chasing them.

I'm not saying that's what will happen, and the probability is the the three AL playoff teams will be the winner from the West along with Chicago, Detroit, and Boston or the Yankees.

But it's certainly something that could happen, and it's not outside the realm of being a reasonable possibility.