stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Who here has a future on the Phillies?

I'm actually a Sox fan and I am not seeing how anyone is close to the Phillies. Maybe if the Giants pick up Reyes they can have a small shot with a lot of magic but I don't see it. The Sox, considered their biggest contender are getting the smackdown first hand as we speak and heck they aren't even in 1st in their own division, behind a Yankees team that is playing well.

I cannot remember an MLB season in awhile in which I feel one team is so much better and complete than any other. The prices on the Phils to win it all are tough, but I really don't see anything with the exception of a We Are Marshall type incident getting in their path.

The prices are rough but all Phils' futures look great.
    Last edited by stevek173; 06-30-11 at 02:47 PM.

philswin
    philswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4640

I got over 96 wins. I thought 3-1 to win the series was bad odds. In baseball anything can happened in a series, the team with the most wins barely wins the series. Look at all those Braves team with Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz they only took the series once.

rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

i have a phils to win WS +330.

This series is not a real barometer, tho. I mean, no Crawford, on the road, IL game... i dunno.
    But, yes, the Phils are disgusting, and their pitching is unreal, but there are some weaknesses in that armor. I am hopeful that it cashes, but more so because I am a Phils fan.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Phillies weakness is the bullpen and lack of offense at the bottom of the order... but ..... Halladay and Lee throw so many damn CG's and are are soo conistent in big games it will be tough for anyone to win a series vs the Phillies...

Maybe the only way the Phillies don't win the world series is if they have a injury to a key player. That or I could see the Yankees beating them in a 6 or 7 game series. Yankees have a better line-up BY FAR better bullpen BY FAR and Sabbathia is a great #1 pitcher. So I think Yankees pose the biggest threat to the Phils. Keep in mind though that the Redsox are ice cold right now and just lost a series at home to the Padres last week so we certainly know the Redsox are capable of better.
    Last edited by Ice House; 06-30-11 at 01:39 PM.

Ice House

One other thing to consider for a futures bet is the Atlanta Braves.... the Braves seem to be the Phillies achilles heel. The Braves are the only team in the national league to have a winning record at citizens bank park. Also the Braves have great pitching with a ton of depth on this roster.

I am tempted to go to Vegas and put $1,000 down on the Braves to win the World Series at 15/1 odds

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Braves will kill them in the playoffs.

pool shark505
    pool shark505's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17481

May be easier to ask instead who here is a square. Guessing you get the same answer hotshot.

philswin

Quote Originally Posted by Ice House View Post
    The Phillies weakness is the bullpen and lack of offense at the bottom of the order... but ..... Halladay and Lee throw so many damn CG's and are are soo conistent in big games it will be tough for anyone to win a series vs the Phillies...

Maybe the only way the Phillies don't win the world series is if they have a injury to a key player. That or I could see the Yankees beating them in a 6 or 7 game series. Yankees have a better line-up BY FAR better bullpen BY FAR and Sabbathia is a great #1 pitcher. So I think Yankees pose the biggest threat to the Phils. Keep in mind though that the Redsox are ice cold right now and just lost a series at home to the Padres last week so we certainly know the Redsox are capable of better.
    Phillies bullpen not an issue they are missing there top 3 relievers right now (Madsen, Contrares, and Lidge) and have not missed a beat. Stutes and Bastardo have been awesome they both have Closer stuff. When Madsen and Contrares come back that will give them the only 4 relievers you will need in the playoffs. If Lidge comes back it will be a bonus. There biggest issue is their offense is loaded with Lefties, they are very vulnerable to top quality left handed Pitchers like Lester today. Yanks with CC and Bosox with Lester will present a huge challenge. Phillies better hope to win 1-0 against those 2.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

Bullpen is not an issue for the Phillies when they are healthy, it will come down to offense in the playoffs and staying healthy.

If they add an OF Bat they will continue to be the favorites to win it all.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

braves will take it

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

i have a future on the brewers. best preseason value on the board at 20 to 1

Ice House

Quote Originally Posted by philswin View Post
    Phillies bullpen not an issue they are missing there top 3 relievers right now (Madsen, Contrares, and Lidge) and have not missed a beat. Stutes and Bastardo have been awesome they both have Closer stuff. When Madsen and Contrares come back that will give them the only 4 relievers you will need in the playoffs. If Lidge comes back it will be a bonus. There biggest issue is their offense is loaded with Lefties, they are very vulnerable to top quality left handed Pitchers like Lester today. Yanks with CC and Bosox with Lester will present a huge challenge. Phillies better hope to win 1-0 against those 2.

Good points ... they really miss having Werth. They need to add a big right handed bat

rthoughton

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    Bullpen is not an issue for the Phillies when they are healthy, it will come down to offense in the playoffs and staying healthy.

If they add an OF Bat they will continue to be the favorites to win it all.
    The phillies are already the favorites to win it all.

rthoughton

Quote Originally Posted by Ice House View Post
    One other thing to consider for a futures bet is the Atlanta Braves.... the Braves seem to be the Phillies achilles heel. The Braves are the only team in the national league to have a winning record at citizens bank park. Also the Braves have great pitching with a ton of depth on this roster.

I am tempted to go to Vegas and put $1,000 down on the Braves to win the World Series at 15/1 odds
    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Braves will kill them in the playoffs.
    Braves - Phils wouldnt be until the NLCS anyway, so there is a lot that would need to happen. And I dont understand what you mean by the Braves are the Phils' achilles heel... ?? the Phils have won 5 (?? right) straight NL East titles. 3 consecutive NLCSes.
    I dunno, Braves are very good and young and have a good staff and a great bullpen, but there is no way anyone beats the Phillies this year. Especially not in a best of 5 or 7. Halladay - Lee - Hamels - Halladay - Lee - Hamels - Halladay in a 7game? cmon.
    And yes, the offense is a struggle, and yes last year they couldnt score vs the Giants, but that's because of the pitching. The Phils' staff this year will do exactly the same to the opposition that the Giants' did last. Except it's way way better. And this is arguably the best Hamels has been in his career.
    The 'pen has been stellar, too. Bastardo is sub 1.00 era. Madson is dominant. Stutes has been more than serviceable.
    The only way this team doesn't win it all is because of a serious injury to one of those big time starters. They do most things the right way, and with Howard driving in so many runs they will run deep.
    I have phaith. This is the best Phillies team maybe ever. 105 wins is likely. Without a closer, without a RH bat, without runs. I mean, what is it now, 45 games with 3 runs or less and they lead the majors in wins by several. Philly always heats up in August and September, too. IMO it would be foolish to back any other NL team.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

Quote Originally Posted by rthoughton View Post
    The phillies are already the favorites to win it all.
    Which is why I put they will continue to be the favorites.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Futures are bad bets

MrShrink
    MrShrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

3 Biggest Threats to the Phillies chances:

1. Chooch goes down... Most undervalued Phil by far. His defense is superb and his chemistry with the staff is priceless. Hits for power and average, and is great in clutch moments at the plate. Schneider and Sardinha are a huge step down in ALL areas and frequently represent a black hole in the lineup that makes it MUCH easier for opposing pitchers.

2. Hitting slump... If one of these overcomes the team late in the year (like it did in the playoffs at times last year and throughout much of the first half of this season) they will be very beatable. If all it's going to take is ONE bad pitch with a man or two on to beat these guys, someone (MIL, NYY, BOS... anyone that's got a few decent lefty starters and can hit) will be able to do that come October.

3. Brad Lidge COMING BACK AS CLOSER.... This guy is over the hill, but Charlie and Rich seem to have some sort of strange, masochistic fetish with this guy (probably related to his perfect season) that I fear will come into play. Madson's been one of the best closer's in the league, Bastardo has been lights out all year and has shown he's got "closer-DNA" recently, and Stutes is starting to really come into impressive major league form quite quickly. They will also have Kendrick (pitching quite reliably lately) and Blanton (hopefully) available for relief. Contreras will be quite effective if he's healthy and they can limiit his innings. Lidge will be able to do the same in that role, but I don't believe he will pitch even as well as Contreras. And I CERTAINLY don't wanna see this guy given the everyday closer role again.

So.... If Chooch is there, they aren't in a BIG hitting slump (they can handle one or two guys not hitting... it's when they're ALL cold, which does happen with them), and they don't designate Lidge as the everyday closer..... Yeah.... It's gonna be pretty tough to deny these guys.

MrShrink
    MrShrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

One other concern of mine...

That they have such a big lead near the end of the season that they all lose their mojo after they step off the gas and start sitting guys with 15 games left. THIS is the kind of thing that could throw their hitting into a slump come postseason.

philswin

Thinking over 96 is a really good bet