CallMeChip
    Damn good stuff, sir...
    CallMeChip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Important things to watch for in Baseball?

So I'm trying my hand this season at bases and am getting annihilated. Just curious if anyone has any tips or important factors to watch for? Obviously pitching is a key factor, but which stats are really important to the outcome? Any advice is very much appreciated

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Look for hot teams and streaks. If a team is winning, it's possible that they will keep a winning streak.
    What I also do is look for dogs that have own big teams in the past because those dogs will have good value in your bet.
    As far as stats, they are important but sometimes they can fail because you also need to make sure that the offense is not slumping while the pitching looks perfect. Example, the Phillies lost 2 games with Oswalt and Halladay on the mound against the Diamondbacks this year, I believe. Two top pitchers, but they did not get any run support.
    Good luck!

jbrent95
    jbrent95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1450

April is a very difficult month to wager. Pitchers tend to have more bad starts in April. Bats start the season slow.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Look at both teams bullpens and see how they've done lately as well as how many innings the bullpens have pitched last 3 games.

KC
    KC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Biggest mistake guys make is looking at pitcher vs pitcher. You need to factor starter+bullpen vs lineup. Unless you bet overnight lines wait till lineups are posted.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

IMO, betting overnight in baseball to save small juice is just not worth it. You can have a very successful baseball campaign by placing late bets after you get the lineups

ouman101
    ouman101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 749

My suggestion would be to avoid paying high juice. Set a mark that is the highest amount your willing to pay (-130 is my suggestion) and if the ML is higher than that, then play the -1.5 or -1 RL or vice versa. Also, I like to look at pitchers past performances against certain teams. Example, Gallardo for Milwaukee is their ace, yet the Reds have owned him. In their last match up the Reds were getting +money and by the fourth inning or so had something like a 7-0 lead. IMO, certain pitchers struggle with different teams.

DemoralizdDreamr
    DemoralizdDreamr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

I always chek out the lineup and than place a bet. Also keep an eye out for live lines, sometime u may find something that stands out.

caseyj16
    caseyj16's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah I definitely agree with looking at whos hot whos not. but also check what hitters might be on some streak. Big hitters can carry a team and get the team rolling with the bats

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Bet good pitchers on the road
    Roy Halloday
    Cliff Lee
    CC Sabathia
    Josh Johnson

Find pitchers that people don't understand yet, guys that look crappy or are very old but are still good. Guys like Livan Hernandez for Washington fit this mold. Old pitcher nobody likes on a crappy team. He will still take down the Phillies and Braves and good teams more than you think.

Also look at home dogs. Even crappy teams could win near 50% of their home games.

Dome teams at home for the right price
    Teams that win on the road when the're on the road
    Teams that win at home when the're at home

Some people are just a lot more comfortable at home or on the road. Find out who they are and exploit that angle.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

just play one underdog a day that you are very confident in.

CallMeChip
    Damn good stuff, sir...
    CallMeChip's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good stuff guys. Do any of you have opinions on the bets themselves and what to maybe stay away from? I know people suggest dog moneylines getting value, do any of you like doing over/unders or run lines and also does anyone play the first five innings bets?

MrShrink
    MrShrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Biggest mistake guys make is looking at pitcher vs pitcher. You need to factor starter+bullpen vs lineup. Unless you bet overnight lines wait till lineups are posted.
    just curious... do you use a certain formula for this? thanks.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeChip View Post
    Good stuff guys. Do any of you have opinions on the bets themselves and what to maybe stay away from? I know people suggest dog moneylines getting value, do any of you like doing over/unders or run lines and also does anyone play the first five innings bets?
    Stay away from favorite and public teams on weekends. They shade the lines because the betting public comes out. You'll get the best lines on the Yankees, Redsox, Phillies etc. Mon-Fri.

Also watch out for traveling teams. More backups in the lineup the day before travel. Weaker teams at home could beat better road teams the day before they travel because people are resting.

The biggie though is to really try and stay away from public teams on weekends.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Line movement

JumpoffJoeBeezy
    JumpoffJoeBeezy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2136

Betting baseball? Flip a coin on a game, and hope to get lucky. Honestly.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Find hidden gems on the mound like Tomlin and hammer his starts early in the season before they start adjusting lines; guy has been my best friend this year.

MLB is a value game, juice is your worst enemy.

GL

drfunkmaster
    printing it
    drfunkmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

first go to store and buy a blind money... He will make the best picks

StanleySharp
    StanleySharp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    MLB is a value game, juice is your worst enemy.

dom75
    dom75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 511

A previous poster mentioned factoring starter+bullpen vs lineup. My question is how do you know what pitcher from the pen will be pitching that day ?