Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mirabelli back in Boston

Fantastic news for Red Sox fans. The Red Sox were already the correct play tonight IMO, but that clinches it.

From ESPN.com:

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN.com
    The Boston Red Sox have finalized a trade to obtain catcher Doug Mirabelli from the San Diego Padres in exchange for catcher Josh Bard, minor-league pitcher Clay Meredith and cash, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting.

Mirabelli, Tim Wakefield's normal catcher last season when Mirabelli was with the Red Sox, will be in the starting lineup Monday night against the Yankees.

The Yankees also tried to obtain Mirabelli to keep him from returning to the Red Sox.

The Red Sox traded Mirabelli to the Padres for second baseman Mark Loretta in December. The Padres' compensation in this latest deal is still unclear.

Mirabelli had been Wakefield's personal catcher in Boston before being traded. In 2005, he batted .228 in just 136 at-bats in 50 games. This season, he is batting .182 in 22 at-bats for the Padres.

He is a career .240 hitter with 47 homers and 165 RBI in 459 career games for Boston, Texas, San Francisco and San Diego.

Bard, who has caught Wakefield's five starts in 2006, leads the major leagues with 10 passed balls.
    Last edited by Razz; 05-01-06 at 01:49 PM.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I just read this piece minutes ago as well.

mlwitchking
    mlwitchking's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am really starting to like the Red Sox especially as a Home Underdog!

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

this was a must move for the redsox!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great news. Even better since I have Boston tonight.

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Yankees also tried to obtain Mirabelli to keep him from returning to the Red Sox.

They'd go after a guy just so the Sox would have a couple of passed balls every fifth day?

mlwitchking
    mlwitchking's Avatar Become A Pro!

Of course. You can't forget that these teams are playing money ball and will stop at nothing to win.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by mlwitchking
    Of course. You can't forget that these teams are playing money ball and will stop at nothing to win.
    that goes without saying.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4675

Good move by Boston to get him back. He is probably the best active catcher that can handle the knuckle ball throwers.

bigboydan

did you guys here that post game interview tonight. the cops rushed him to fenway in 12 minutes flat, and had to get into his uniform in the cop care while driving over 100 MPH.

i know theres a few people here from boston. so, is that at all possable to get from the airport to fenway in 12 minutes ?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    did you guys here that post game interview tonight. the cops rushed him to fenway in 12 minutes flat, and had to get into his uniform in the cop care while driving over 100 MPH.

i know theres a few people here from boston. so, is that at all possable to get from the airport to fenway in 12 minutes ?
    From what they were saying on that broadcast, its hard to get anywhere in Boston that fast.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan

Yeah, I just saw that on ESPN. It was worth it because Bard would have probablly cost them the game somehow, lol.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Yeah, I just saw that on ESPN. It was worth it because Bard would have probablly cost them the game somehow, lol.
    Bard wouldnt of blocked those 3 or 4 pitches that hit the dirt. If I remember correctly, there were runners on base, and that would of cost us.

Again, great move by Boston on getting Mirabelli back.