cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Would this be illegal in the USA?

I know it's illegal in the USA to call or email someone in Vegas and tell them what sports bets you want them to make but what about this...

1. You find someone in Vegas who agrees to use your money to bet on sports and you give them money to do it. (Legal activity)

2. You start a thread on a forum like this posting your daily picks. (Legal activity)

3. Your Vegas contact reads your daily picks thread and makes bets on those plays. (Legal activity)

4. Your Vegas contact reports and pays taxes on the profits and simply gives you gifts regularly. (Legal activity)

Last edited by cleaveland; 06-24-11 at 04:47 PM.

acarmelo1
    The Panamanian Connection
    acarmelo1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1581

It is Legal

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

... couldn't you "gift" someone the money ... and turn "tout" ... for which he could pay you a monthly fee (you could charge him a fee equal to the amount of his "winnings" each month.

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

Wow!
    I never knew it was Illegal to call a friend.
    & have your plays put in at Vegas

acarmelo1
    The Panamanian Connection
    acarmelo1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1581

Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    Wow!
    I never knew it was Illegal to call a friend.
    & have your plays put in at Vegas
    He is not calling his friend.

His friend sees his picks on SBR

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Runner! Runner! Runner!

joesomebody114
    This industry is f*kked
    joesomebody114's Avatar Become A Pro!

How about just giving your buddy money and not calling it "for plays", tell him to have a great vacation in vegas and to check in on ur thread to see how ur "doing" then him paying you back all winnings for you lending him for that "vacation" minus a small cut just cause he's your buddy

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

You wont get caught by just calling him if they are really a "friend"

how would anyone find out?

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

You could use a "street shout out" instead of phoning a friend!

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8798

it is very cool to put money down, and be paid in cash once the game is over, best part about going to vegas

louie dog
    louie dog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5627

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post
    You wont get caught by just calling him if they are really a "friend"

how would anyone find out?
    The problem is that you're breaking the law by phoning.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

most likely no, the wire act is convoluted imprecise and outdated, that it really causes more questions than answers.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    it is very cool to put money down, and be paid in cash once the game is over, best part about going to vegas
    100% ditto

cleaveland

This idea would work and apparently be legal if it was done properly. Finding someone you could trust could be the hard part.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

When I was in Vegas last year you cannot use a phone while at the window wagering. That is the only restriction that they had out there. I do see what you are saying here is totally legal from what I see. Say if I moved out there and took wagers from a buddy to do it for him as long as I was not wanting a cut of winnings it is legal. If I was profiting on it then it would not be legal. I bet some do it anyway from there in one way or another. With cell phones and text messages and all it sure makes it easier now to do it. I would be not be shocked if this is happening since now you can just email your wagers to friend or a contact.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by tblues2005 View Post
    I would be not be shocked if this is happening since now you can just email your wagers to friend or a contact.
    From what I understand that is illegal. Posting your plays on the net and your friend "tailing you" would not be illegal.

As far as the person making the bets not profiting...you can freely give gifts to people so you don't pay them a commission just hand them a gift. It's semantics but it makes all the difference in a legal sense as far as I know.

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

who cares? you give money to a buddy going to vegas to put $500 on the packers, they win, he cashes, gives you the money.. why overanalyze it

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by sq764 View Post
    who cares? you give money to a buddy going to vegas to put $500 on the packers, they win, he cashes, gives you the money.. why overanalyze it
    That's a one shot deal. I'm talking about a potential long term solution for frequent betting.

increasedodds
    increasedodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

It's as illegal as jwalking. The feds want the guys moving billions and able to pay $100 million dollar fines. They could care less if you call in a $500 bet.

Hpeter
    Hpeter's Avatar Become A Pro!

How open would everyone be to an investment group? Would it be to crazy to sign a contract that would let someone invest you dollars in LV that you could take out cash as you see fit or reinvest and let it grow. With a signed contract would you be willing to send $100 or even a $1000 dollars to invest. One issue I do see is it impossible to let some else make your picks - or if the money is rolling in do you care. Something to think about.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20623

Quote Originally Posted by cleaveland View Post

4. Your Vegas contact reports and pays taxes on the profits and simply gives you gifts regularly. (Legal activity)

Yes.

The LV contact is not liable to tax on the gambling winnings .. he's only acting as your agent .. you remain liable for the tax ... he's up for tax on whatever commission you pay him regardless of how you describe it .. and that should be deductible to you

If you proceeded in the manner described you are both guilty of breaking tax laws
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 07-24-11 at 12:05 AM.

mafioso
    mafioso's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

LOL, then your buddy thinks you dont know what your doing and books your bets himself or worse bets the other side or even worse yet blows all your money then you have no money and no buddy.
    Bad isea all the way around.