LongBall52
    LongBall52's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2374

Drinking Yourself Sober

Is this a trait of alcoholics... I gotta think so.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10500

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3718

In theory, it's possible. Imagine that the liver removes a unit of alcohol per hour. After five pints, you'd be completely free of alcohol in five hours. Now, if during that time, you continue to drink - but at a rate LESS than one unit per hour, there would come a point where the liver has "caught up" on the five units already in your system. Your body is then only working on the small amount you continue to take in. Thus, your blood alcohol level would be reduced, but you would still be drinking.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11943

Hair of the dog (Post 4,444)

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13364

We thought we could find an easier softer path but we could not.

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Zero control in a actual alcoholic, it’s a progressive disease, many will start off maybe ok overtime it consumes you...
    If you can have a beer after work and go
    Home eat dinner and go to bed more power to you, but those that have that first drink
    And can’t stop regardless of the results then it’s best to just not have that first drink period.

LongBall52

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    We thought we could find an easier softer path but we could not.
    The reason AA does not work for some.
    1. It's only semi-anonymous
    2. There are plenty of people forced to attend by the court system. These people don't want to be there in most cases and are young.
    3. AA doesn't divide meeting up by age (only sex). A 20 year old can't relate to a 60 year old. But they say the disease concept is the same. I contend that many are simply problem drinkers at 20 something and not ALCOHOLICS yet. Until AA figures this out it will be less than "real"

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13364

Quote Originally Posted by LongBall52 View Post
    The reason AA does not work for some.
    1. It's only semi-anonymous
    2. There are plenty of people forced to attend by the court system. These people don't want to be there in most cases and are young.
    3. AA doesn't divide meeting up by age (only sex). A 20 year old can't relate to a 60 year old. But they say the disease concept is the same. I contend that many are simply problem drinkers at 20 something and not ALCOHOLICS yet. Until AA figures this out it will be less than "real"
    1. Ok, neither is rehab or a non-12 step recovery program.
    2. I would suggest that focusing on other people isn't really productive to personal recovery. However, I know that some young people come in and think that they're the only ones there on a court card. They soon find out there are a lot of people who come in and stay in recovery are there due to the court system.
    3. There are young people meetings and meetings that skew older. You can find a meeting with people you like assuming you live in a semi populated area. I would disagree that a 20 y/o cannot relate to a 60 y/o. AA isn't going anywhere so if a 20 y/o doesn't think they are an alcoholic, that's ok. Come back if you become one. Or don't. I don't think AA is worried about attracting new members.

AA is there if people need it and if they don't that's cool too.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Straight edgers are insufferable c*nts.

Drink yourself silly

LongBall52

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    1. Ok, neither is rehab or a non-12 step recovery program.
    2. I would suggest that focusing on other people isn't really productive to personal recovery. However, I know that some young people come in and think that they're the only ones there on a court card. They soon find out there are a lot of people who come in and stay in recovery are there due to the court system.
    3. There are young people meetings and meetings that skew older. You can find a meeting with people you like assuming you live in a semi populated area. I would disagree that a 20 y/o cannot relate to a 60 y/o. AA isn't going anywhere so if a 20 y/o doesn't think they are an alcoholic, that's ok. Come back if you become one. Or don't. I don't think AA is worried about attracting new members.

AA is there if people need it and if they don't that's cool too.
    The concept of AA is wonderful . No doubt lives have been saved. But my experienceSSSS, several attempts at different meetings is that it's a little "too clickish" for me. It's not for the loners of the world.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

No program is very successful at getting addicts sober

However, the #1 predictor an addict will be successful in a program is their readiness to change or quit. At that point, I’m not sure any one program or rehab is more successful than another.

The success or failure is on the individual only

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    No program is very successful at getting addicts sober

However, the #1 predictor an addict will be successful in a program is their readiness to change or quit. At that point, I’m not sure any one program or rehab is more successful than another.

The success or failure is on the individual only
    I disagree here. Part of it may be the definition of "successful" in your post.

But the other part about any program being more successful than others once the individual wants to change is wrong.

I might finally decide to get the surgery I need, the country and hospital I do it in can definitely matter.

Some addiction recovery programs are proven over and over, cross culturally, others are not. While wanting to change is quite necessary for success, the want to change alone does not bring that success.

LongBall52

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    I disagree here. Part of it may be the definition of "successful" in your post.

But the other part about any program being more successful than others once the individual wants to change is wrong.

I might finally decide to get the surgery I need, the country and hospital I do it in can definitely matter.

Some addiction recovery programs are proven over and over, cross culturally, others are not. While wanting to change is quite necessary for success, the want to change alone does not bring that success.

One part of the AA program says: we came to believe we were powerless, or words to that effect. I guess the definition of an addict. So your last sentence sums up my thoughts exactly.