dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

you PA guys, I have a questiion.

do you remember a cheese (and the spelling will be no where near correct) called Schmutz or something like that. I remember university days I would come home and every bar and restaurant served sausage and schumutz sandwiches or meat ball and schumtuz sandwiches usually baked in an oven.

that cheese was out of this world and we took it for granted. it is basically gone now and I can't find it anywhere. one of our local stores attempted to make it but it isn't the same. it is about 500 times better than mozzarella but resembles it greatly. It is a soft white ball cheese and it has a better melting temp than M.

anybody remember it, I was told some small towns in and around Allentown had it too, I also know that some areas around Pittston. is it still available, I will travel over 100 miles to get some.
    Last edited by dante1; 05-23-20 at 03:31 PM.

Jerm3462
    FREE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Jerm3462's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8126

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    do you remember a cheese (and the spelling will be no where near correct) called Schmutz or something like that. I remember university days I would come home and every bar and restaurant served sausage and schumutz sandwiches or meat ball and schumtuz sandwiches usually baked in an oven.

that cheese was out of this world and we took it for granted. it is basically gone now and I can't find it anywhere. one of our local stores attempted to make it but it isn't the same. it is about 500 times better than mozzarella but resembles it greatly. It is a soft white ball cheese and it has a better melting temp than M.

anybody remember it, I was told some small towns in and around Allentown had it too, I also know that some areas around Pittston. is it still available, I will travel over 100 miles to get some.
    The Cheese Store

Hazelton, PA

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

I've been here in PA (Allentown area) for the last 25 years and have no idea what you're talking about. I'll try to be a good reporter and see if there is a cheese like you say. Is this a Mennonite thing? or perhaps a Jukie thing? Let me know and I'll ask around with the various factions.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    I've been here in PA (Allentown area) for the last 25 years and have no idea what you're talking about. I'll try to be a good reporter and see if there is a cheese like you say. Is this a Mennonite thing? or perhaps a Jukie thing? Let me know and I'll ask around with the various factions.
    actually it is an Italian thing. I was so young it never entered my mind to check out the wrapping and find the producer. but, it does exist or did exist. it looks like Mozzarella and is shaped like Mozzarella. and you can still buy it at the cheese store in Hazleton Pa. but it is not the same. call them if you want and ask them. their version is better than M but not as good as the old S.

it is pronounced sca mutz, that is not the spelling.
    Last edited by dante1; 05-27-20 at 03:14 PM.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

570 455 3425. The cheese store.