Eagles73
    Eagles73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Having trouble getting my dog put down

He has a stomach tumor that is cancerous and has had it for several months now. Was told by doctors surgery would be too risky and I should just let him live as long as he can go. The past couple of weeks he has been laying down all day and his eating has been inconsistent as well as no longer being able to climb up stairs. Now the past couple of days he completely has stopped eating and won't even drink milk which he used to love before. Its obvious that his in consistent pain and I am running out of options, however I am having trouble accepting the fact that his life is over and I've had him for 10+ years and the void left by him in my life might never be filled. I'm sure some of you have been in similar situations with a pet. How do you cope with such a thing and how long can I drag this out before I have to get the dog put down.

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Very tough thing to do, but YOUR BEST FRIEND is suffering.

He has brought you years of happiness, you owe it to him to end his life that is now filled with pain and suffering.

Bring a friend, someone who has seen you cry and will comfort you.

Be there when they put your dog down

Hold him
    talk to him
    pet him

Let him go knowing he is loved
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: capone1899

Bruce Norris
    I'm almost too old to fight.... almost.
    Bruce Norris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3837

Worst thing ever man. But agree with post above. Be there. Take a day off work. Cook him a steak or something the night before. Take him in and do what needs to be done. It's the final act of kindness you can bestow on your friend. He's in pain, and telling you it's time.

As for how to cope? Can't. It's so difficult and painful, but time heals all. I balled like a little girl for 20 minutes with my boy after he was put down. Took me that long to get up and walk away. Sucks big time, but it's part of being a pet owner. The good times outweigh this difficult time you're going to go through.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PaperTrail07

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Have you never lost a human close to you? You'll get over it. You won't forget it but you'll grieve and move on. Sack up. Shitty shit happens.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

First day back at SBR in a week and this is what I see. Shit.

My friend you have lived over ten years with this dog. He has had a full life with you. If he is in such pain, sadly, you cannot drag this out. Some may say he’s just a dog, but be fair to him, and be fair to you. True, the void will likely never be filled but life will go on. I would hope they’ve offered some type of pain control but know the cancer may be spreading.

As far as coping, every one deals with loss differently. Never forget the fullness of this dog’s life and the big part he was of your life. You’ve learned many lessons (even life lessons) over the years by owning this dog, some easy, some tough, but none as tough as today.

This dog will always be a part of you. Never let that die. Once you’ve committed to do the inevitable, what you know is right, thing, remember time is your friend. Grieving, even for pets, comes in waves. The first waves come big and fast. With time, those waves thin out and only come so often. It will show you never forget. Time is your friend here.

Good luck and I will most certainly say a prayer, and possibly shed a tear, for SBR poster Eagles73 even though I’ve never fukkin heard of ya, pal.

Seriously, though, take it in stride; it’s a tough road no matter how you navigate it.

Richards
    Richards's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

A very difficult thing that our best friend's lifespans are so short. Knowing the void that will be there is proof of how thankful you can be for the years you have had with him.

In my rural area I had a mobile veterinary service that was able to come to my house and put down my dog that had advanced kidney failure. It was a slight relief to be able to have my dog die at home, but this is not possible everywhere where that service might not exist.

If he stopped eating you can tell he is in a lot of pain. As Rangers said being with him at the end will provide him comfort.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30722

Fawk you guys. I almost got teared up reading through this shit.

I love dogs
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB, and gauchojake

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Some good advice in this thread. Sorry to hear this.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3702

I had the same sort of problem with my dog,I had to in the end bite the bullet and have him put down. Its hard you don't like to see them suffer.

Best of luck man

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles73 View Post
    He has a stomach tumor that is cancerous and has had it for several months now. Was told by doctors surgery would be too risky and I should just let him live as long as he can go. The past couple of weeks he has been laying down all day and his eating has been inconsistent as well as no longer being able to climb up stairs. Now the past couple of days he completely has stopped eating and won't even drink milk which he used to love before. Its obvious that his in consistent pain and I am running out of options, however I am having trouble accepting the fact that his life is over and I've had him for 10+ years and the void left by him in my life might never be filled. I'm sure some of you have been in similar situations with a pet. How do you cope with such a thing and how long can I drag this out before I have to get the dog put down.
    Sorry to hear the bad news. I've just put down a loved pet via a shot in back of ear, quick and painless except for me. If you can't do the job yourself, i don't blame you. Take the little fella to the vet, but spend awhile with him/her telling them how much you loved them, somehow dogs really understand this kinda talk. See if vet can give a sedative until you decide to put down.

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

I wish I didnt open this thread

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25004

Put down that damn dog before he bites another child. Don't be selfish.

Let's Go Rangers

“A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not. As I wrote that farewell column to Marley, I realized it was all right there in front of us, if only we opened our eyes. Sometimes it took a dog with bad breath, worse manners, and pure intentions to help us see.”
    ― John Grogan~Marley and me

stevegreazy
    stevegreazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

its ****** up but its common where i live to just take the dog out in the woods and put a bullet in its head.
    no sense in paying a vet to do it when you can do it yourself.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Check in Eagles73. It looks like the human side of SBR, and clearly there is one, has got your back.

Slanina
    Slanina's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5895

Put him down as soon as you can. Keeping him alive is only benefiting you at this point. When I was 18 I went with my mother to put our dog down. He was 15. So my whole childhood I had him. I still think about him from time to time. You develop a bond with a pet that you can't get with another person. It sounds crazy but it's true. Do him a favor, say your good bye and let him rest. But make your last few days awesome for him. Get him his favorite toy or treat and take him for a long ride if he likes cars.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

This will put a tear in your eye

darko3131
    Update your status
    darko3131's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Put my 15 year old dog down recently who had diabetes and went blind. It's tough but was the right thing to do when they are in that bad of shape. Check with the vet, ours had the option to do a private cremation and we had the ashes returned in a custom made box urn with a nameplate, picture and all which is nice to have.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25135

Had to do it to my lab that I had for almost 14 years. Got the dog with my wife when we were still dating in college. Between my son crying and my wife crying was one of the hardest things I have had to do up to this point.

But you have to do it, the dog deserves better than to spend all day suffering until he finally dies because he cannot eat.

Let's Go Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post

This will put a tear in your eye
    Wow

Good post !!!

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

very sad indeed.

wish i hadnt opened this thread.

i had to experience this with my dog and was pure torture. Honestly i would have done anything for that dog.

he was my best friend.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I have a pup 6 years old now. I often think about when the day will finally come that she'll be gone and how hard it will be and I just try and love her even more.

That is the hardest part, knowing that your new puppy is on a count down timer from the time that you bring them home.

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

We all are on a count down timer. If the dog is suffering do the right thing. It will not get better.

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

I have a friend who is having a hard time euthanizing his dog. Blind and failing kidneys. He went to one vet who suggested he put her down but went to another place for a second opinion. The second opinion said she had 6 months to a year and that dogs are resilient and could surprise you how long they last. He gives her IV fluid at home every other day which helps. The dog also has trouble eating but he has found success putting bits of fish in her food and fish oil. I think he gives her other supportive medication/care. Hang in there man.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Check in Eagles73. It looks like the human side of SBR, and clearly there is one, has got your back.

The forum is here for you man, check in pal.

NorthForty
    NorthForty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

Sorry to hear man. My dog has enhanced my life like I could have never imagined. The unconditional love and loyalty is profound. Not looking forward to the day she will be gone. Hang in there.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Honestly, life has way too many downs for me..id never want to do this again. I'm sorry u r going thru this, animals are awesome.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25004

I think the OP off'd himself so he could join Fido in the afterlife... a modern day Romeo and Juliet.

Eagles73

just a quick update, his still alive gonna let him fight it until he stops completely eating/can't walk at all. He stopped eating a couple days however is now eating small amounts of food again. However it seems like his vision and sense of smell are getting weaker.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Pay attention to this thread Eagles, don't let the dog suffer, it's been a good life, keep it that way.

Not trying to be mean, but consider the dog, if he's suffering.

Let's Go Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles73 View Post
    just a quick update, his still alive gonna let him fight it until he stops completely eating/can't walk at all. He stopped eating a couple days however is now eating small amounts of food again. However it seems like his vision and sense of smell are getting weaker.
    I had lymphoma last year....lymph nodes throughout my abdomen were cancerous and had grown and were choking off my stomach, intestines and even my abdominal aorta.

It was very painful until I started chemotherapy.

Your dog is suffering.

Do the right thing....

Put him out of pain.

If you don't, you are only being selfish and you are putting your grief over his pain

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Brutal. I've always had a dog in my life, mans best friend is so true. It's so hard to do, but when they're hurting you gotta let go. Good luck man.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Let him die on his own, thank me later. If he seems in pain, have a vet come in and give him pain injections.

Not eating or drinking, they only last a few days.

You will not like how vets put down animals. The pain to the animal is horrendous. I'll let you know after he's gone.

Tell him it's ok to go. I've had many animals that died and were put down. Let him go on his own terms.

Eagles73

finally gave up today as I can't bare to see him continue to suffer like this. Tomorrow is the big day gonna take him first thing in the morning. Unfortunately I can't even feed him a big last meal as he is barely eating at this point. Gonna be a very depressing weekend trying to get rid of everything that will remind me of him at this point.

cashmoneyholla
    cashmoneyholla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7653

Sorry to hear eagles. it is for the best. try to be strong man. even thought i too will cry for days when i have to put my lab down. I hope he goes peacefully tomorrow. You gave the dog a dam good life and should be proud.

12 Last