zacher
    Armed Rodgery
    zacher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

Anyone Invest in Gold?

Sure everyone has a few pieces or something gold laying around…but I am wondering if anyone here actually invests in gold?

Talking gold bars, troy ounces, grams, blocks, coins?

Silver coins, bars, plates??

Just wondering what sparked the interest to start what all ya got and if thats your primary investment?

My uncle invests in gold…over 50% of his personal equity is in gold and silver…smart or not?

Just curious on your opinions as investing in gold compared to the stock market

23 years old now…just planning the future…bought my first gold coin today .9999 percent pure 1/10th an troy ounce for $120 (under market value) excited about this…looking to expand my investment.

timbaland99
    timbaland99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Where does one buy gold under market value?

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I'm a gold bug.
    Mostly US minted coins. My favorite is the Buffalo 1 oz $50 coin. There is no IRS reporting with coins minted by the US because they are considered currency. Not so with bullion.

Personally I would say gold is a no brainer. Gold will always move opposite the value of the dollar and the dollar will decline. Having said that I would NOT put more than 15% of my net worth in gold. Gold obviously pays no dividends or interest. I can invest in bonds and get a safe 6%. In 10 years my bonds have produced 70% in compounded return. Gold will have had to go up to $2000 just to match the return of a conservative bond portfolio.

Gold is a great investment and hedge but needs to be in the back of the bus as far as its percentage to your overall portfolio.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

If you are interested in gold... look into gold stocks. mines and things of that nature. the return can be much greater and it still will fluctuate in a way with the gold prices.

zacher
    Armed Rodgery
    zacher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

Quote Originally Posted by timbaland99 View Post
    Where does one buy gold under market value?

I found a guy on craigslist has about 12 of these 5 dollar uncirculated maple leaf coins. was asking $150 for a piece for them..texted him said I could meet now for $120 he said okay. drove 15 minutes and picked it up. went instantly to the gold shop on the way home and said it was pure. They said they would give me $115 for it. explained they have to buy under market value blah blah blah. Said I am going to hold onto it. have been researching ever since.

John I see what your saying about the other investments. I think my uncle likes the whole "if the stock market crashes and a depression hits" sorta thing. I mean obviously the company he works for takes stock options and they invest in several other companies but he has mad all his personal investments in gold and silver, when I was in high school I saw his collection… probably increased heavily since then…cant wait to start growing mine.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I became a gold bug after realizing the US politicians have almost zero hope of slowing down the $18 trillion dollar debt. The government makes out like a bandit if it can borrow $20 trillion and pay it back by devaluing the currency. It's like borrowing $100 and paying back $50 and all square. As the dollar becomes worth less and less it will take more and more of them to buy an ounce of gold. It will seem gold is going up but in reality the dollar is going down.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

as in JJ Gold?