sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

The estress related to on line poker

I have been playing a lot lately and something that i have to learn is to controll my temperament, alike many of us i get overexcited many times.
    One thing that i noticed, i play today at different tables, and something very particular is the fact that i account about 240 hands without hiting the board at all, and my frustration conducted me to a bigger loss.
    is there any adivice froms the pros here about this situantions?
    txs
    alex

cappinthepigs
    cappinthepigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

You've got to be patient, you've got to just hang on and when you do get that good hand and hit a flop you MUST extract as much money as you can from your opponents. The other night I was in a 10k entrant tourney and was in the top 100 in chips after 2 hrs but I had only saw 12% of the flops and won only 6 hands IN 2 HOURS, it's about picking your spots and not gettin antsy when the cards aren't falling. BOL

cappinthepigs
    cappinthepigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

BTW, I'm not a pro by any means.

hunterwrot
    hunterwrot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

play solid poker and the rest will fall in place. if you are not making hands then pay attention to the table and figure out who is tight , loose. play your position and raise when you see oppertunity.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

The best advice I can give comes straight out of "The Theory of Poker". Try not to focus on wins & losses, just focus on playing well. When you finish a session down $100, take pride in that you played well and that a worse player would have lost $200. When players focus on their losses, they tend to make plays they normally wouldn't make in an effort to regain the money that they lost. That is the start of a players "tilt". If you realize you are doing this, take a 10-15 minute break to gather your thoughts. If you are in a tournament, tighten up and only play premium hands (QQ, KK, AA) for an orbit and try to gain composure.

There is a high stakes poker episode where Durrrr asks Phil Ivey "how much are you up" and he replies, "I don't keep up with that stuff like you do." That's not to say don't know how many chips you have, but focus less on winning and losing, focus more on playing well.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Good poker players don't need "hands" to win. But that depends what you are playing and who you are playing against.

You won't get very far in poker just Playing AA/KK/etc. and only playing when you hit the flop.

sinmiedo

K 13//////////it is exacl what i do. i know that profecional poker playrs have a 6th sence , their insctincts are second to non.
    and i want to be there, it is slowly happening to me, seen ahead of time the plays and knowing that you have to play those cards yu were delt even if the book says no.
    last night out of possition i raise with 63 of spaldes and i got 2 callers .........flop came 572 rainbow the caller bet 3/4 of the pot, i call knowing that i will hit and the booom!!!! the4 on the tourn for my nut straight.........i bet my oponent re raise,,,,,,and i went all in
    of course i took down a nice 8 dollar pot but the feeling was enormus, is like i knew what will happen.
    aa kk qq are the best but i lost quite a bit with those too, i belive that in order to grow i must experience going outise the logical game
    and try different alternatives.
    my stress still elevated but is because i want to be now and looks like my trip will take a bit longer.

FazzersGirl
    FazzersGirl's Avatar Become A Pro!

Welcome to the wonderful world of poker!

ThaddeusB
    ThaddeusB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135661

Quote Originally Posted by sinmiedo View Post
    K 13//////////it is exacl what i do. i know that profecional poker playrs have a 6th sence , their insctincts are second to non.
    and i want to be there, it is slowly happening to me, seen ahead of time the plays and knowing that you have to play those cards yu were delt even if the book says no.
    last night out of possition i raise with 63 of spaldes and i got 2 callers .........flop came 572 rainbow the caller bet 3/4 of the pot, i call knowing that i will hit and the booom!!!! the4 on the tourn for my nut straight.........i bet my oponent re raise,,,,,,and i went all in
    of course i took down a nice 8 dollar pot but the feeling was enormus, is like i knew what will happen.
    aa kk qq are the best but i lost quite a bit with those too, i belive that in order to grow i must experience going outise the logical game
    and try different alternatives.
    my stress still elevated but is because i want to be now and looks like my trip will take a bit longer.
    Not to burst your bubble or anything, but calling because you "know" what is coming is definitely not what a pro does. A professional player has a great ability to read their opponent ("instinct") and play accordingly. E.G., taking down pots where their opponent has little, even when they have less. What you described is simply chasing and will cost you in the long run.

P.S. As a minor point, 63 isn't the nuts on the board you described.

sinmiedo

i take your valid points, but , 65% of the game relay on luck and that is a matematical fact.
    knowing where to play posstition and psicology of the opponent reduces the luck aspect, but we all well know that is gambling not chess
    many pros relay on their insticts and there are millons of exemples about it. I always like Brunsons famus 10 2 that he said in many occations that it was insticts that took him to play such a bad hand in a very dangerus situation.
    Skalansky also refer in his books the on line players that play on4 to 7 tables at the time and call it mechanical poker, and is right on on the definition, that is why some player like Patric Antonius and Sam Farhat are so big in poker, the have a tremendus instincts that combines with thieir marvolus reading and play put them way up there, those are the ones that ones that shows me the way, AA KK QQ JJ mechanichal internet play is not of my taste.
    PS i know that the 63 was not the nuts but in that board to me it was..........and sweet
    Thank you again for your comments