wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

You are only as good.............

....as the deck allows you to be. Last Saturday I won $1100. I won the majority of the money playing $2-$5 and moved over to $5-$10 to wrap it up. I played well but no different than I generally play. Not bragging to say I am generally one of the better players at the any table I sit at (keep in mind I am in Florida so it's not like I find myself around a lot of seasoned professionals).

That was Saturday though and it was nice. Monday and Tuesday were completely different stories. I played for 4 hours Monday and another 5 hours Tuesday and my average hand was J-3 off. If I managed to get a decent starting hand and was able to see a cheap flop I missed. If I managed to actually hit a flop it would be rivered regardless of how aggressively I tried to protect it.

It just reminded me that no matter how good we think we are or how much of a roll we get on the deck has a way of bringing us back down to earth.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Insert Doyle Brunson "That's poker folks."

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

I hate poker now, I`m losing every f....... day the last 3 month...altough I`m playing MTTs.

wal66

The swings can be brutal. Our only defense against the madness is to be smart bankroll wise. When they are falling our way we are playing more and higher limits and when the deck is against us we are taking breaks or at least playing smaller limits.. Making steady profit doesn't mean we leave the table +money everytime it just means we leave +money more than not.

suicideking08
    suicideking08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

poker is about exploiting your opponents mistakes..not waiting around for premium hands.

Bswitz32
    Update your status
    Bswitz32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 364

ONline poker is BS no matter which way you do it. Poker is meant to be played in person to read them.
    Keep hiding cowards.

BOL

Phightin' Phils
    Phightin' Phils's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bswitz32 View Post
    ONline poker is BS no matter which way you do it. Poker is meant to be played in person to read them.
    Keep hiding cowards.

BOL
    that is the dumbest thing ive ever read.

poker_dummy101
    poker_dummy101's Avatar Become A Pro!

variance is a cruel thing.. makes me wish i didnt play sometimes

BaumChamp
    BaumChamp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bswitz32 View Post
    Keep hiding cowards.

BOL
    Are you being serious now?

wal66

I pretty much play only live poker these days since my old way of depositing is no longer available and I just don't want the hassle of the other ways.

As for exploiting your opponents hands I agree but in Florida with $100 max buy ins that is a very limited and rare option. You will get called more than you think with minimal hands because stacks aren't the weapons here like they are other places where you can buy in with enough chips to make certain hands lay down. With our max buy ins and the limits we play you are either purely gambling or playing premium hands hoping they hold up. When the deck is playing honest I am making bank. When the deck is running cold then the fish swim free.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Phightin' Phils View Post
    that is the dumbest thing ive ever read.
    Agreed.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Poker is about risk management, some nights you dont catch shit but thats poker. You have to exploit your opponents when you can.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Some site will set up a skype like poker room soon. Too bad I'm not smart enough to do it and live in the US.

Cappy
    Cappy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 880

if it weren't for the variance I doubt that so many crappy poker players would be dumping their money, so don't bite the hand that feeds you.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

bad players have to win sometimes so they can delude themselves into thinking they are winners. It's what makes poker so profitable to those with an edge.

wal66

That was the point of my original post. The deck is the great equalizer.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Where do you play in Florida? With the $100 buy in if you get there early and double up you can usually wreck havoc on the table. I played in Daytona last week and was in the SB. There were 5 callers on the table, including myself and the old guy in the BB folds. The dealer looks at him and say "you sure you want to fold, you can see the flop for free?" and he goes "Yah, those cards are bad.". Jeez, get out of the hand when he's in it...

Having a $100 max buy in and playing 5/10 is just dumb. You can exploit 1/2 and 2/5, but 5/10 is a crap shoot with the max buy in, especially if you are buying into an established table late in the day.

wal66

daneblazer, I play in Ocala on the norm with occassional trips to Daytona and Jacksonville. I agree with your comments about $5-$10 $2-$2 and $1-$2 but disagree with $2-$5 as it often plays much the same as $5-$10 most places. Either way though with $100 max buy ins you still are up against it when there are those who come with $1000 and have no problem rebuying all of it. they are looking to gamble and don't understand or care about odds or percentages of their hands at any given point.

framboise
    framboise's Avatar Become A Pro!

aces are overrated

wal66

I'm putting my card protector up for a couple of weeks.