sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Liquor in the front, Poker in the rear: Daily Poker Blog

Since this sub-forum has been dead as fukkin hammer lately (DaneBlazer_), I figured I'd try to shake things up here with a daily Poker blog. This will probably fail misserably but lets give it a try.

Anything goes, from Poker strategy to Poke'in chicks to pounding booze.... I for one feel like I actually play a little better when I got a half a buzz on versus playing stone sober. I know drinking and gambling do not mix but I feel drinking in moderation and gambling go hand & hand. THoughts?

Anyway, todays topic is: Defending your blinds late in tournaments.

I would classify myself as a tight/aggressive player in cash games as well as tournament play but more often than not I find myself playing tight/passive when it comes to final table tournament play. Rather than stepping on the gas so to speak I tend to tuck my tail in and get bullied around just trying to move up the pay scale....

How do you guys play in this late tourny situation? I know I should probably loosen up and defend my blinds but I hate playing from bad possition post flop and find myself very cautious when an opportunity to 3 bet late in play pops up.

Any advice here? All comments are welcome, like I said, this thread will probably get little if any views.

GL fellas
    Points Awarded:

Russian Rocket gave sweep 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

dizzyd gave sweep 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Drinking in moderation,

Good luck with that

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

To answer you're question, for me it's all feel and situational...

i like to put others to the test...

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    To answer you're question, for me it's all feel and situational...

i like to put others to the test...

Workin today

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Yupp few more hours

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Yupp few more hours

Just blew my latest Bovada post up....Not happy

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post

Anyway, todays topic is: Defending your blinds late in tournaments.

Can probably write a few chapters on this but in a nutshell...

"Defending blinds" = 3bet light occasionally

"Defending blinds" usually does not = Call

...exceptions for example, if you're trying something like a stop & go or trying to trap a player with a strong hand. You typically don't want to be playing from the blinds late in tournaments. When to defend is situational and opponent dependent. For example, Situations like MP Loose Passive player raising, LP passive player calling, then it's time to decide whether to squeeze and attack those players. You have a very aggressive player leaning on you trying to steal every blind, you should consider 3betting them light with a speculative hand to keep them honest. At least plant the seed in their mind that you aren't going to give up your blinds without a fight. Reading up on the independent chip model would help for final tables. Overall, you're better off looking for reasons not to play from the blinds than to look for reasons to play them and try to make plays when position will play to your advantage.
    Last edited by daneblazer; 07-02-13 at 10:03 AM.
    Points Awarded:

Russian Rocket gave daneblazer 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Can probably write a few chapters on this but in a nutshell...

"Defending blinds" = 3bet light occasionally

"Defending blinds" usually does not = Call

...for example, if you're trying something like a stop & go. You typically don't want to be playing from the blinds late in tournaments. When to defend is situational and opponent dependent. For example, Situations like MP Loose Passive player raising, LP passive player calling, then it's time to decide whether to squeeze and attack those players. You have a very aggressive player leaning on you trying to steal every blind, you should consider 3betting them light with a speculative hand to keep them honest. At least plant the seed in their mind that you aren't going to give up your blinds without a fight. Reading up on the independent chip model would help for final tables. Overall, you're better off looking for reasons not to play from the blinds than to look for reasons to play them and try to make plays when position will play to your advantage.
    Good shit here Dane....Say u got a 2 or 3-1 chip lead 3 headed, you still play the same way?

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Theres no strategy in rigged ass sbr poker

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Shannon Elizabeth anyone?

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

I hate when players are aggressive & repeatedly try to steal mine or anyone elses blinds late in tournaments. I like to wait for the right opportunity to shove on the pricks. Win or lose... I am usually satisfied with how I feel after the outcome. Of course I like outing them or doubling up, but I'm not getting rich playing poker so I've come to realize I like to play my game the way it's going to appease me... win or lose. That's how I play maybe 50% of the time and at lower stakes which is normally all I can afford to play. The other 50%... meh, I do all sorts of different shit. Put in for 10k at the WSOP and I have no clue what I'd do though.

Just watched american reunion on hbo the other day. uhhh... yeah, Ali Corbin anyone?
    Heard she is related to Michael Jack Corbin

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9585

Re liquor, I play better when relaxed and not thinking about the chips as money. So a few beers probably does help with that.

'text book' aggressive final table players are the easiest marks when it comes to careful climb the pay scale final table play imho. God bless every one of those that have watched a few youtube vids about 'correct' final table tourney play and auto play ultra aggressive every time.
    Points Awarded:

brad89 gave Optional 50 SBR Point(s) for this post.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

It's cliche, but stay aggressive and put pressure on opponents late esp if they seem to be sitting around waiting on a hand. 3 handed you're usually going to be doing a lot of shoving and folding so try to determine what sort of range your opponent will have in a given situation and make your decision from there. It's tough to make a call with a marginal hand and risk elimination when the prize structure moves up significantly with each person who is knocked out. That's why bag lags & maniacs do well deep in tournaments because they are so aggressive they accidentally begin making the "correct play". You don't often see players who are just sitting around waiting on a hand go deep in big tournaments without going on some sort of heater.

What is the topic of the day

ronzer
    the search for bigfoot continues
    ronzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 163

where the hell is sweep?!

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Today's Topic: Seat change buttons (live games)

Today's blog entry is dedicated to 'live poker" regarding "Seat change buttons":

I cant fukkin stand it when someone comes to the table in an open seat and immediatley asks the dealer for a seat change button.

Winning in live cash games has zero to do with your lucky fuckin seat or whatever other stupid azz superstition you may have. I can kind of understand it if you happen to get stuck in the 9 or 10 seat with your knees banging the drop box but other than that GTFO!

Play your game and play it to the best of your abilities but don't try to blame variance on a bad luck seat or a bad luck dealer. Over time solid play will prevail and be plus money. So to all you "seat change button" dikkwads I solute you

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

I use the seat change for two reasons and I don't think I am a dickwad. 1) to move to a better seat to be able to see all players and get away from the dealer side (very uncomfortable) and 2) to get position on somebody.

Both of those are valid reasons in my opinion and have nothing to do with my favourite lucky seat!

Cheers.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    I use the seat change for two reasons and I don't think I am a dickwad. 1) to move to a better seat to be able to see all players and get away from the dealer side (very uncomfortable) and 2) to get position on somebody.

Both of those are valid reasons in my opinion and have nothing to do with my favourite lucky seat!

Cheers.
    Yah...if I recognize some players to my left that I don't really want to deal with I'll go ahead and put in for a move. Some people have a tough time seeing the cards on the corners of the tables, so I can understand that. If you're just trying to get into your lucky chair, give it a break.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Friday July 5th:

Todays Blog entry: 2013 WSOP Futures/Props

Tomorrow, Saturday July 6th marks Day 1a of the 2013 WSOP main event. Listed below are some current futures posted @ Bovada.lv.

Some interesting "last longer" props available. Wouldnt mind throwing a unit on the Brat over Ivey...Thoughts?

2013 WSOP* Main Event – How many US born players will make the final table of the 2013 WSOP Main Event?
    7:00p Over
    (-120)o
    (-120)u
    Under

2013 WSOP* Main Event – How many Canadian born players will make the final table of the 2013 WSOP Main Event?

½ (-120)o
    (-120)u
    Under

2013 WSOP* Main Event – Who will last longer in the 2013 WSOP Main Event?

At least 1 player must cash for action.
    7:00p Phil Hellmuth -120
    Phil Ivey -120

7:00p Barry Greenstein -130
    Johnny Chan -110

7:00p Greg Merson -120
    Pius Heinz -120

2013 WSOP* Main Event – What will be the country of birth of the 2013 WSOP Main Event Champion?

7:00p USA -150
    Rest of the World +110

2013 WSOP* Main Event – How old will be the winner of the 2013 WSOP Main Event (on the day of the final hand)?

7:00p 27 Years or older -150
    26 Years 364 days or younger +110

2013 WSOP* Main Event – What will be the winning/final hand at the 2013 WSOP Main Event?

7:00p 2 pair or better -140
    1 pair or lower EVEN

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

dont have facefukk accnt Dane............

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post
    Todays Blog entry: 2013 WSOP Futures/Props

Tomorrow, Saturday July 6th marks Day 1a of the 2013 WSOP main event. Listed below are some current futures posted @ Bovada.lv.

Some interesting "last longer" props available. Wouldnt mind throwing a unit on the Brat over Ivey...Thoughts?

2013 WSOP* Main Event – How many US born players will make the final table of the 2013 WSOP Main Event?
    (-120)o
    (-120)u
    Under

2013 WSOP* Main Event – How many Canadian born players will make the final table of the 2013 WSOP Main Event?

½ (-120)o
    (-120)u
    Under

7:00p Phil Hellmuth -120
    Phil Ivey -120

7:00p Barry Greenstein -130
    Johnny Chan -110

7:00p Greg Merson -120
    Pius Heinz -120

2013 WSOP* Main Event – What will be the country of birth of the 2013 WSOP Main Event Champion?

7:00p USA -150
    Rest of the World +110

2013 WSOP* Main Event – How old will be the winner of the 2013 WSOP Main Event (on the day of the final hand)?

7:00p 27 Years or older -150
    26 Years 364 days or younger +110

2013 WSOP* Main Event – What will be the winning/final hand at the 2013 WSOP Main Event?

7:00p 2 pair or better -140
    1 pair or lower EVEN
    Under 5.5
    Over 0.5
    Ivey
    Merson
    World
    Older
    2 Pair

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Under 5 1/2
    1 Canadian
    One pair or lower

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Under 5.5
    Over 0.5
    Ivey
    Merson
    World
    Older
    2 Pair
    NuckyG sighting!

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Under 5.5 americans
    over .5 canadians
    hellmuth over ivey
    chan over greenstein
    merson -120 over heinz
    USA player wins the main event
    26 Years 364 days or younger main event winner
    1 pair or lower the winning hand of the tourney

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

no book offers odds on who will win, right? Too many players.
    If you had to name 10 guys or so to do well, who would you take?

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    no book offers odds on who will win, right? Too many players.
    If you had to name 10 guys or so to do well, who would you take?
    Really hard to come up with a list like this but as far as pro's go Antonio has been playin lights out so far this year....

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post

Cheers.
    Most often the reason I move live is because someone is consistently straddling my blind... The button straddle that is becoming more common in low stakes games is even worse as alot of places start the action with the blinds.

BeerDog99

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie View Post
    Most often the reason I move live is because someone is consistently straddling my blind... The button straddle that is becoming more common in low stakes games is even worse as alot of places start the action with the blinds.
    Ya, I am not a fan of the button straddle. I think it ruins the normal flow of the game as they change who acts first.

Cheers

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Monday July 8th

Today's Blog entry: Recapping the WSOP Day1a/1b

Just gonna run down a few notables who have been sent to the rail early. Feel free to chime im here if anyone has any further updates they would like to share.

Notables who got felted early:

Gavin Smith
    TJ Cloutier
    Jason Alexander(George)
    Chino Reem (november niner)
    Soi Nyguen (november niner)
    Greg Rayhmer
    Scotty nguyen
    Erik Lingren
    GSP (Ufc)

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie View Post
    The local place I play at starts with UTG having the option to straddle and then goes to the button. Whoever posts the straddle is last to act preflop, the SB is 3rd last to act, and the BB is 2nd to last to act pre-flop. It often confuses players who aren't paying attention. You can't straddle the straddle so it's basically whoever can obscurely get out the straddle first. There is no cap on the straddle but there is a minimum of $5 in 1/2 and $10 in 2/5. People who post more than the minimum are just dumb but I see it over and over. Of course the poker room loves the straddle because it drives up the average pot size and makes more rake and tips.

What does everyone think about straddling? UTG & EP straddle has to be -EV no? Button straddle may hold some value provided you post the minimum allowed. Does anywhere online play with a straddle?

BeerDog99

From my experience (at least for the last trip to vegas) when I played at Mandalay Bay, PH and Luxor, the button straddle overrides the UTG straddle.

The bet always seemed to be the same as the UTG straddle which is 2xBB, that may be the minimum but I did not see anybody straddle for more.

Also, and this is the important thing to me with button straddles, action starts at the SB with the button straddle.

Lastly as far as the +/- EV question. I think an UTG straddle is -EV, my favourite saying I heard (not sure who coined it) "A live straddle is done with a dead brain"....

The button straddle is very +EV on a tight/tourist table but in my humble opinion it puts a target on you from the more aggro regulars and bingo players.

Cheers

BeerDog99

oh and regarding the online straddle question, I have never seen it.

Interesting/related note, the PokerPro tables that are at a local racetrack, allows regular UTG straddles.

Cheers.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Tuesday July 9th

Todays Blog: WSOP day 1c sends big names to the rail, big names to the lead:

Morning fellas, interesting day yesterday as many big names were sent packing and other big names flurished late in the day as many novice players were just trying to make it through to day #2.

Event 59 champion Loni Harwood, Hucklberry Seed, Jonathan Duhamel, David Baker, Sammy Farha, Jeff Madsen, Vanessa Rousso, Tom Schneider and Phil Laak were among the day's eliminations.

Negreanu faltered early and was down to a couple thousand before rebounding to finish with 15,600. Antonio Esfandiari, Johnny Chan, and Eric Baldwin all ended the night below 20,000.

Michael Mizrachi, Phil Ivey and Phil Hellmuth found prosperity on Day 1C, each maneuvering through their tables efficiently. Mizrachi's day concluded with an up and down level where his stack varied from 150,000 to 200,000. His active approach frustrated his table at times and that was exactly what he hoped for.

"You're playing with a lot of players who aren't experienced in the main event and they don't want to bust Day 1," said Mizrachi, who finished the day with 176,100 in chips. "You can use your image against them, and while I had a few tough players at my table, there were some soft spots and it all worked out well for me."

Ivey took a similar active approach and dominated his amateur-filled table during the final level to finish with 119,650 in chips. At his first table, Ivey chipped up by winning small pots postflop, but once he moved, he adjusted his strategy to account for the weakness found at his table and added 20 percent more to his stack late in the day.

As is his tradition, Hellmuth arrived late, and found his stride late, before surging to a 92,850 stack. Immediately after he eliminated Shaun Deeb during Level 4, Hellmuth found another gear.

Other Day 1C survivors include a number of former world champions (Joseph Hachem, Carlos Mortensen, Jamie Gold, Tom McEvoy and Jerry Yang), former October/November Niners (Rob Salaburu, Ben Lamb, Joseph Cheong, Phil Collins, Jason Senti, Bob Bounahara, John Racener) and bracelet winners from 2013 (Josh Pollack, Matthew Waxman, John Beauprez).

-Cliff notes taken from ESPN.com

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Wondering if anyone plays PLO live? I went down to Louisville (Horseshoe) this weekend and got in a crazy game 1-2 PLO (really $5 with a straddle every hand) . Guy was popping it to $20 preflop every hand and bet pot on the flop atleast half the time. I sat down really short with $300 which a good player to my right said (in a roundabout way) was kind of stupid but ended up winning around $600. I'd say half the guys had $2k or more stacks. I'm just not in a position to drop $800 or more in 1 night so my strategy seems ok to me....just can't drop much below $250 before you shove because you won't have enough to protect your hand. It took a hour or so but the maniac doubled me up when I flopped the nut flush vs his set which didn't boat up. I haven't played PLO enough to know if I just got really lucky or really have to have a bigger bankroll to play a game like that.

123 Last