Halfapointoff
    Halfapointoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1181

Mlb is cheating themselves with this stupid ghost runner

1. Road team is at an advantage if they didn’t utilize their closer.
    2. If closer is not even a a factor in my analysis, it definitely puts home team at a disadvantage if road team scores first with a runner in scoring position with zero outs
    due to the pressure factor that road team batters don’t face. ( As long as score is tied) ie…Top of the 10th inning.
    Points Awarded:

TheGoldenGoose gave Halfapointoff 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2345

Isn’t #1 applies to both teams?

And #2 is home team then should make sure to get an out before the first run is scored.

I like this change for regular season. Don’t need these extra innings to go on and on in regular season.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19749

An enormous, but necessary, evil. Teams simply can't play 15 inning games without using the whole pitching staff.

Halfapointoff
    Halfapointoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1181

Quote Originally Posted by Headsterx View Post
    Isn’t #1 applies to both teams?

And #2 is home team then should make sure to get an out before the first run is scored.

I like this change for regular season. Don’t need these extra innings to go on and on in regular season.
    I explained your reasoning on #1 with # 2

And to your explanation on #2 is obvious. But, there still is a pressure factor in which I thought I explained. IE…field goal kicker kicking a 40 yard field goal as time expires to win the game instead of kicking it when it’s tied. Do you peeps read? It’s a valid thought whether I like it or not. I don’t like the 18 inning games as well. But your disagreement is based on your own feelings on watching 6 hours of baseball . Very selfish.

Headsterx

Quote Originally Posted by Halfapointoff View Post
    I explained your reasoning on #1 with # 2

And to your explanation on #2 is obvious. But, there still is a pressure factor in which I thought I explained. IE…field goal kicker kicking a 40 yard field goal as time expires to win the game instead of kicking it when it’s tied. Do you peeps read? It’s a valid thought whether I like it or not. I don’t like the 18 inning games as well. But your disagreement is based on your own feelings on watching 6 hours of baseball . Very selfish.
    Actually my reasoning isn’t selfish and you assumed it’s because I don’t want to sit through extra innings. All I said was that we don’t need it to keep going. And the reasoning is for the players’ health and wealth. They playing extra and not getting paid by the hour. Plus, you’re risking the health of pitchers. There’s a reason pitchers are not pitching complete games or pitching 5 straight games.

Headsterx

Another thing they should implement is a shorter season and reduce it to 152 games.
    Points Awarded:

Getch13 gave Headsterx 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20649

In Japan they will play up to 3 extra innings to break a tie. After 3 extras, if it's still tied they just end it and call it a tie.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Stupid but that's Manfred

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3770

If you look at the team splits home and away you’ll find many teams this year have a better road record than playing at home. This is unprecedented in MLB history.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

It's early, that probably won't hold.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 615

I'm for the ghost runner during the season. Like Horseplayer stated, you can't let the teams wear out their bullpen. Also, how many fans want to sit through a 15 inning game in the regular season? I'm a diehard baseball fan and I know I don't. The whole purpose of these rule changes is to shorten the games.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 239

I think the ghost runner is completely stupid and needs to go. With base stealing way up teams with any speed at all basically automatically have a man at 2nd if anyone gets on anyways. I like extra innings and don't like all the "game shortening" bullshit they put into baseball. The game was great for a hundred years and now we continue to make the game more watered down because the new useless generation can't pull their head out of their phone or concentrate for more than an hour.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

The problem is that the new generation and their cash represents baseball's future; the sport has to cater to the young crowd or it's ultimately toast.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47589

I don't like the ghost runner at all but do like the pitch clock as it keeps the game moving.

DanteNemonic
    DanteNemonic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    I think the ghost runner is completely stupid and needs to go. With base stealing way up teams with any speed at all basically automatically have a man at 2nd if anyone gets on anyways. I like extra innings and don't like all the "game shortening" bullshit they put into baseball. The game was great for a hundred years and now we continue to make the game more watered down because the new useless generation can't pull their head out of their phone or concentrate for more than an hour.
    I will assume you are a boomer. The absolute worst and most spoiled generation to ever exist. Check out the sub reddit boomers being fools. You'll fit right in over there.

Keith Richard
    alive and well
    Keith Richard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4939

Ghost runner is a complete Mickey Mouse rule.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 615

Ghost runner is no different from the NHL doing their shootouts, or NCAA football doing their OT from the 25 yard line. All are differences from the normal game flow, but add a different perspective. NHL and MLB are the same in the playoffs. They get rid of the alternate endings, and that's fine by me.

Thefix13
    Thefix13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2840

Quote Originally Posted by DanteNemonic View Post
    I will assume you are a boomer. The absolute worst and most spoiled generation to ever exist. Check out the sub reddit boomers being fools. You'll fit right in over there.
    Give it another 10-15 years and you will see what an entitled generation truly looks like

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20649

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    The problem is that the new generation and their cash represents baseball's future; the sport has to cater to the young crowd or it's ultimately toast.
    Horse Racing seconds that. We go to the track a few times a year and it's absolutely dead.

sportgeek
    sportgeek's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4414

I hated it at first but I now realize it is probably good to not have extra innings drag on forever. However, I would prefer the ghost runner not start to the 11th inning. Lets try one inning with regular ball before the ghost starts. NHL goes to 3 on 3 in OT and then a shootout after 5 minutes.

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16327

I know why they do it they play so many games and when games were going 16 innings into the morning no one was inside the building or watching it on tv im sure this has been brought up,I have gotten used to the ghost runner still don't like it.Give it a few innings first,Maybe start the ghost runner in 11th or 12th inning!

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32538

I still hate the extra inning auto-runner.
    I think calling a game a tie after 12 full innings is the way to go.

SomeDayinBuffalo
    SomeDayinBuffalo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1475

I don't like how it starts right in the 10th. It's equal in the end. It also add more to the end of the game. More runs in the end and that's what they want.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I still hate the extra inning auto-runner.
    I think calling a game a tie after 12 full innings is the way to go.
    I agree with that.I can't remember the exact numbers but I think I read that about 1% of games go loger than 13 innings so if that were the policy, there wouldn't be too many.