arie1985
    arie1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3254

Can anyone tell me what's the big hype behind Carlos Alcaraz?

He reminds me of David Nalbandian, an Argentine tennis player who many times had his opponents awarded with inflated odds by the bookmakers ...

Alcaraz is definitely not a top player, he can beat lower ranked ones, but he's just a loser in general, time and time again, if anyone relies on this guy to win a grand slam - even prayers won't help

Still, I'm surprised why the bookies treat this guy like a golden goose, offering his opponent high odds as if they stand no chance against someone with a proven losing record.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9469

One might be a fluke, but he does have two slam titles.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47633

Ridiculous to say he is not a top player and loser in general
    Points Awarded:

arie1985 gave JAKEPEAVY21 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 458

I don't remember Nalbandian winning majors when he was 20 years old. Do you?

arie1985
    arie1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3254

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Yes, you're right about that, but I don't regard it as something extraordinary, especially when Covid was a factor involved (e.g. Djokovic was refused to play and many others as well).

I think the comparison with Nalbandian is a good comparison.

Maizey
    Maizey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10010

Nalbandian: 14 year career, 11 titles, 0 majors
    Alcaraz: 5 year career (so far), 12 titles, 2 majors

Nalbandian was a very good player. Alcaraz is a hall-of-famer in the making. The only question is whether he can stay healthy. If he plays 14 years, you can do the math, it will be an impressive resume.

BTW, I’m a huge Djoker fan and don’t want to see anybody challenge his GOAT status, but if there’s anybody out there that can, it’s Alcaraz. Of course, that would take being healthy, motivated and able to maintain his top level skills for two decades or more. That’s highly unlikely, for sure.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1544

I feel like your mad he lost. It happens.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11264

he is only 20.

relax.

kid is a superstar.

Sascha played big.

move on.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11264

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post

he won ZERO !!!

only made it to ONE final and lost.

he was good for just 5 calendar years. 2002 thru 2006.

outside of that he was average.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32492

Quote Originally Posted by arie1985 View Post
    He reminds me of David Nalbandian, an Argentine tennis player who many times had his opponents awarded with inflated odds by the bookmakers ...

Alcaraz is definitely not a top player, he can beat lower ranked ones, but he's just a loser in general, time and time again, if anyone relies on this guy to win a grand slam - even prayers won't help

Still, I'm surprised why the bookies treat this guy like a golden goose, offering his opponent high odds as if they stand no chance against someone with a proven losing record.
    And I remember 3 years ago the so-called tennis experts were calling Carlos Alcarez Nadal Jr and the next big thing from Spain.

One thing I learned along the way is that 'can't miss' and 'next big thing' labels usually turn into the kiss of death.

He's good, but hardly 'all that'.