stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32550

‘The Honeymooners’ Star Joyce Randolph Dies at 99

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12086

Missed being 100 years old by one year. That sucks..

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

Wow, this show was old even when I was a kid. I remember that she had some of the best one liner comeback to the legendary Jackie Gleason. Actually they entire cast was full of legendary actors: Art Carney was great, Audrey Meadows was also fabulous. Of course no one remembers these people, but one day a binge watch of the episodes wont disappoint.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9642

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    Wow, this show was old even when I was a kid. I remember that she had some of the best one liner comeback to the legendary Jackie Gleason. Actually they entire cast was full of legendary actors: Art Carney was great, Audrey Meadows was also fabulous. Of course no one remembers these people, but one day a binge watch of the episodes wont disappoint.
    Was really the only black and white rerun show I could watch and not be bothered by it. Not sure why.

I don't think Joyce ever appeared in any future shows after the 39 episodes they did in the mid-1950s. She was asked why she never played the role again and said "they didn't ask me."

Gleason was pals with the Kean sisters, Jane and Betty. So he gave Jean the part of Trixie.

"Tell Ralph when he's on camera to face forward, because when he turns profile, brother, he's the biggest thing on television!."

Ralph, "what did Trixie think?" Alice: "Well, she said you're the biggest thing on television!"

stevenash

^
    The Honeymooners were only for one season.
    1955-1956, that's it, 39 episodes.

So old my parents weren't even married yet, and I'm no spring chicken myself.
    68 years later the show is still in syndication.

Seattle Slew

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    ^
    The Honeymooners were only for one season.
    1955-1956, that's it, 39 episodes.

So old my parents weren't even married yet, and I'm no spring chicken myself.
    68 years later the show is still in syndication.
    They did a ton more episodes in the following years as part of the Jackie Gleason Show, with a new Trixie and a new Alice as well. Audrey Meadows came back for a few specials in later years. They even have them in color. They often used the same punchlines and story scripts because Gleason didn't want to learn new material because it conflicted with his golf game.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Was really the only black and white rerun show I could watch and not be bothered by it. Not sure why.

I don't think Joyce ever appeared in any future shows after the 39 episodes they did in the mid-1950s. She was asked why she never played the role again and said "they didn't ask me."

Gleason was pals with the Kean sisters, Jane and Betty. So he gave Jean the part of Trixie.

"Tell Ralph when he's on camera to face forward, because when he turns profile, brother, he's the biggest thing on television!."

Ralph, "what did Trixie think?" Alice: "Well, she said you're the biggest thing on television!"
    The Twight light zone, Happy days and star trek I enjoyed for old school shows. Re-runs. Honeymooners was before my day for sure. Never seen the shows.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    The Twight light zone, Happy days and star trek I enjoyed for old school shows. Re-runs. Honeymooners was before my day for sure. Never seen the shows.
    How can you not have seen The Honeymooners?
    It's syndicated on virtually every retro TV cable station, like Friends and Seinfeld, it's unavoidable.

I've seen all 39 episodes of The Honeymooners like four times each, so I just bypass it now.

Flashmo
    Flashmo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24423

RIP...Loved that show!

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

How can you not have seen The Honeymooners?
    It's syndicated on virtually every retro TV cable station, like Friends and Seinfeld, it's unavoidable.

I've seen all 39 episodes of The Honeymooners like four times each, so I just bypass it now.
    I'll give it a try when I see it airing.

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5288

shows like these were classics one of these days alice Bang zoom to the moon

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3804

There was more than the 39 shows, because it was part of the Cavalcade of Stars, and The Jackie Gleason Show and on radio also. That material is available on the "Lost Episodes" DVD collection.
    Last edited by Snowball; 01-15-24 at 02:08 PM.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    There was more than the 39 shows, because it was part of the Cavalcade of Stars, and The Jackie Gleason Show and on radio also. That material is available on the "Lost Episodes" DVD collection.
    True, I was only counting the series that starred Jackie, Art, Jane, and Joyce.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3804

True, I was only counting the series that starred Jackie, Art, Jane, and Joyce.
    It's hard to figure out. It looks like in some of the Jackie Gleason Show episodes they were all there. Then also there was a half-hour special in 73 and four hour-long specials.

Seattle Slew

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    It's hard to figure out. It looks like in some of the Jackie Gleason Show episodes they were all there. Then also there was a half-hour special in 73 and four hour-long specials.
    Audrey Meadows was in and out during the later years on the Jackie Gleason Show, but Joyce Randolph only did the 39.