RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

MLB announces implementation to speed up play...

It's a step in the right direction.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announc...es/c-266718664

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Summary of 2018 Rule Changes

I) Mound Visits
    1. Number
    A. 2018 Championship Season. Mound visits without a pitching change shall be limited to six (6) per team, per nine innings. For any extra-innings played, each Club shall be entitled to one additional non-pitching change mound visit per inning.
    B. OBR 5.10(l). Official Baseball Rule 5.10(l), which governs mound visits by a manager or coach, remains in effect (i.e., a pitcher must be removed on the second visit by a manager/coach in an inning).
    2. Definition of Mound Visit. A manager or coach trip to the mound to meet with the pitcher shall constitute a visit. A player leaving his position to confer with the pitcher, including a pitcher leaving the mound to confer with another player, shall also constitute a mound visit, regardless of where the visit occurs or the length of the visit, except that the following shall not constitute mound visits:
    A. Discussions between pitchers and position player(s) that (i) occur between batters in the normal course of play and do not require either the position player(s) or the pitcher to relocate;
    B. Visits by position players to the mound to clean spikes in rainy conditions;
    C. Visits to the mound due to an injury or potential injury of the pitcher; and
    D. Visits to the mound after the announcement of an offensive substitution.
    3. Cross-Up in Signs. In the event a team has exhausted its allotment of mound visits in a game (or extra inning) and the home plate umpire determines that the catcher and pitcher did not have a shared understanding of the location or type of pitch that had been signaled by the catcher (otherwise referred to as a "cross-up"), the home plate umpire may, upon request of the catcher, allow the catcher to make a brief mound visit. Any mound visit resulting from a cross-up prior to a team exhausting its allotted number of visits shall count against a team's total number of allotted mound visits.II) Inning Breaks and Pitching Changes
    1. Time of Break. The timer will count down from 2:05 for breaks in locally televised championship season games, from 2:25 for breaks in nationally televised championship season games, and from 2:55 for tie-breaker and postseason games as follows:
    Time Remaining | Required Action
    25 seconds: Umpire signals pitcher to complete last warmup pitch.
    20 seconds: Batter's announced and must leave on-deck circle, batter walk-up music shall begin, and pitcher shall complete last warmup pitch.
    0 seconds: Pitcher must begin motion to deliver first pitch.
    A. The pitcher may take as many warm-up pitches as he desires, but regardless of how many warm-up pitches he has thrown, he must deliver his final warm-up pitch at least 20 seconds prior to the end of an inning break or pitching change. OBR 5:07 will be revised to reflect that pitcher is not guaranteed eight warm-up pitches.
    B. The umpire shall signal for the last warm-up pitch at 25 seconds, unless a special circumstance (as described below) applies.
    C. The batter must leave the on-deck circle and proceed directly to the batter's box when the pitcher throws his final warm-up pitch.
    D. The pitcher must begin his motion for the first pitch as soon as the batter steps into the box and is alert to the pitcher; provided, however, the pitcher cannot begin his motion for the first pitch more than five seconds prior to the end of an inning break or pitching change so that television is ensured to be back from commercial break.
    2. Special Circumstances. A Player will be excused from following the time limits set forth above if the umpire determines that any of the following special circumstances are present:
    A. There is a delay in normal warm-up activities during the inning break due to no fault of the Players (e.g., injury or other medical emergency, equipment issues, playing field or grounds crew issues);
    B. The umpire believes the pitcher is at a legitimate risk of injury if he does not receive additional time to throw warm-up pitches;
    C. The umpire believes the batter is at a legitimate risk of injury if he does not receive additional time to enter the batter's box;
    D. Any other special circumstances which, in the umpire's judgment, warrant allowing the pitcher to throw after the deadline.
    3. Start of Timer for Inning Breaks
    A. Last Out of Inning. The timer shall start on the last out of an inning for an inning break.
    B. Close Plays/Replay Review. The Field Timing Coordinator shall delay the start of the timer if the final out of the inning is a close play that may be reviewed by instant replay. If the final out of the inning is determined in instant replay, the timer shall start as soon as the out is signaled by the umpire.
    C. Pitcher or Catcher On Base/On Deck. If a pitcher ends an inning on base, on deck, or at bat, the timer shall reset when the pitcher leaves the dugout for the mound. If a catcher ends the inning on base, on deck, or at bat, the timer will reset when the catcher enters the dugout (and another catcher must begin warming up the pitcher).

4. Start of Timer for Pitching Changes
    A. Pitcher Crosses Warning Track. The pitching change timer shall begin as soon as the relief pitcher crosses the warning track (or foul line for on-field bullpens) to enter the game. In the case of a pitching change that occurs during an inning break, the timer shall reset if previously started as soon as the relief pitcher crosses the warning track (or foul line for on-field bullpens).
    B. Relief Pitchers Must Promptly Leave Bullpen. Relief pitchers shall leave the bullpen promptly following an appropriate signal by their manager or coach. During the playing of God Bless America, or any other extended inning event previously approved by the Office of the Commissioner, the timer will begin at the conclusion of the song or event.

5. Enforcement. Umpires shall direct players and enforce the inning break and pitching change time limits on the field. Players who consistently or flagrantly violate the time limits will be subject to progressive discipline for just cause by the Office of the Commissioner pursuant to Article XI(C) of the Basic Agreement.

III. Batter's Box Rule
    The batter's box rule that was in effect during the 2017 season will remain in effect during the 2018 season.
    IV. Video Replay Review
    The following adjustments will be made to the video replay technology:
    A. Install capability for all Club video review rooms to receive direct slow motion camera angles for the 2018 championship season;
    B. Install new phone lines connecting the video review rooms and the dugout, and monitor the communications over those lines to prevent their use for sign-stealing.
    Last edited by RudyRuetigger; 02-19-18 at 01:22 PM.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 163

So what happens if pitchers or batters don't follow the rules?

RangeFinder

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    So what happens if pitchers or batters don't follow the rules?
    I think the batter gets a strike and the pitcher gets a ball issued.

RangeFinder

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    don't be a bitch

just post what they are so we don't have to click the link

THANKS
    It's a lot of explanation that I don't want to have to type. Don't be lazy assed and click the link.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6273

Gonna cause a lot of arguments between players and umpires these rules, we all know how most of these umpires are attention seekers

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    It's a lot of explanation that I don't want to have to type. Don't be lazy assed and click the link.
    seems mlb was the lazy ass if they didnt bold the fukkin new rules and then explain them in regular font

I refuse to click a link

Philmill
    Philmill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28751

good..... they needed to do something

game is just to long even with these changes in place

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

I like how all the visits to the mound count for all people

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Games fine..if you don’t have the patience for it don’t watch

RudyRuetigger

Summary of 2018 Rule Changes

I) Mound Visits
    1. Number
    A. 2018 Championship Season. Mound visits without a pitching change shall be limited to six (6) per team, per nine innings. For any extra-innings played, each Club shall be entitled to one additional non-pitching change mound visit per inning.
    B. OBR 5.10(l). Official Baseball Rule 5.10(l), which governs mound visits by a manager or coach, remains in effect (i.e., a pitcher must be removed on the second visit by a manager/coach in an inning).
    2. Definition of Mound Visit. A manager or coach trip to the mound to meet with the pitcher shall constitute a visit. A player leaving his position to confer with the pitcher, including a pitcher leaving the mound to confer with another player, shall also constitute a mound visit, regardless of where the visit occurs or the length of the visit, except that the following shall not constitute mound visits:
    A. Discussions between pitchers and position player(s) that (i) occur between batters in the normal course of play and do not require either the position player(s) or the pitcher to relocate;
    B. Visits by position players to the mound to clean spikes in rainy conditions;
    C. Visits to the mound due to an injury or potential injury of the pitcher; and
    D. Visits to the mound after the announcement of an offensive substitution.
    3. Cross-Up in Signs. In the event a team has exhausted its allotment of mound visits in a game (or extra inning) and the home plate umpire determines that the catcher and pitcher did not have a shared understanding of the location or type of pitch that had been signaled by the catcher (otherwise referred to as a "cross-up"), the home plate umpire may, upon request of the catcher, allow the catcher to make a brief mound visit. Any mound visit resulting from a cross-up prior to a team exhausting its allotted number of visits shall count against a team's total number of allotted mound visits.II) Inning Breaks and Pitching Changes
    1. Time of Break. The timer will count down from 2:05 for breaks in locally televised championship season games, from 2:25 for breaks in nationally televised championship season games, and from 2:55 for tie-breaker and postseason games as follows:
    Time Remaining | Required Action
    25 seconds: Umpire signals pitcher to complete last warmup pitch.
    20 seconds: Batter's announced and must leave on-deck circle, batter walk-up music shall begin, and pitcher shall complete last warmup pitch.
    0 seconds: Pitcher must begin motion to deliver first pitch.
    A. The pitcher may take as many warm-up pitches as he desires, but regardless of how many warm-up pitches he has thrown, he must deliver his final warm-up pitch at least 20 seconds prior to the end of an inning break or pitching change. OBR 5:07 will be revised to reflect that pitcher is not guaranteed eight warm-up pitches.
    B. The umpire shall signal for the last warm-up pitch at 25 seconds, unless a special circumstance (as described below) applies.
    C. The batter must leave the on-deck circle and proceed directly to the batter's box when the pitcher throws his final warm-up pitch.
    D. The pitcher must begin his motion for the first pitch as soon as the batter steps into the box and is alert to the pitcher; provided, however, the pitcher cannot begin his motion for the first pitch more than five seconds prior to the end of an inning break or pitching change so that television is ensured to be back from commercial break.
    2. Special Circumstances. A Player will be excused from following the time limits set forth above if the umpire determines that any of the following special circumstances are present:
    A. There is a delay in normal warm-up activities during the inning break due to no fault of the Players (e.g., injury or other medical emergency, equipment issues, playing field or grounds crew issues);
    B. The umpire believes the pitcher is at a legitimate risk of injury if he does not receive additional time to throw warm-up pitches;
    C. The umpire believes the batter is at a legitimate risk of injury if he does not receive additional time to enter the batter's box;
    D. Any other special circumstances which, in the umpire's judgment, warrant allowing the pitcher to throw after the deadline.
    3. Start of Timer for Inning Breaks
    A. Last Out of Inning. The timer shall start on the last out of an inning for an inning break.
    B. Close Plays/Replay Review. The Field Timing Coordinator shall delay the start of the timer if the final out of the inning is a close play that may be reviewed by instant replay. If the final out of the inning is determined in instant replay, the timer shall start as soon as the out is signaled by the umpire.
    C. Pitcher or Catcher On Base/On Deck. If a pitcher ends an inning on base, on deck, or at bat, the timer shall reset when the pitcher leaves the dugout for the mound. If a catcher ends the inning on base, on deck, or at bat, the timer will reset when the catcher enters the dugout (and another catcher must begin warming up the pitcher).

4. Start of Timer for Pitching Changes
    A. Pitcher Crosses Warning Track. The pitching change timer shall begin as soon as the relief pitcher crosses the warning track (or foul line for on-field bullpens) to enter the game. In the case of a pitching change that occurs during an inning break, the timer shall reset if previously started as soon as the relief pitcher crosses the warning track (or foul line for on-field bullpens).
    B. Relief Pitchers Must Promptly Leave Bullpen. Relief pitchers shall leave the bullpen promptly following an appropriate signal by their manager or coach. During the playing of God Bless America, or any other extended inning event previously approved by the Office of the Commissioner, the timer will begin at the conclusion of the song or event.

5. Enforcement. Umpires shall direct players and enforce the inning break and pitching change time limits on the field. Players who consistently or flagrantly violate the time limits will be subject to progressive discipline for just cause by the Office of the Commissioner pursuant to Article XI(C) of the Basic Agreement.

III. Batter's Box Rule
    The batter's box rule that was in effect during the 2017 season will remain in effect during the 2018 season.
    IV. Video Replay Review
    The following adjustments will be made to the video replay technology:
    A. Install capability for all Club video review rooms to receive direct slow motion camera angles for the 2018 championship season;
    B. Install new phone lines connecting the video review rooms and the dugout, and monitor the communications over those lines to prevent their use for sign-stealing.
    luckily I know how to copy/paste whereas rangefinder doesnt

RangeFinder

luckily I know how to copy/paste whereas rangefinder doesnt

lakerboy

I wonder what the rush is to get the game over with though?

It's perfect I think if you want to cook a meal in between pitches.

RangeFinder

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    I wonder what the rush is to get the game over with though?

It's perfect I think if you want to cook a meal in between pitches.
    If they can keep games to 2:45 or less I'm happy. But 3 hours plus is too much.

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    If they can keep games to 2:45 or less I'm happy. But 3 hours plus is too much.
    Just don't watch the Yankees vs red Sox. If they don't play the time goes down on average. I think every time they play especially at Fenway it's minimum 4-5 hours.

Last year I went to 4 games. I left in the 4th inning the first time. The second and third games I stayed till the end. The last game I don't remember but it was after the 7th inning stretch.

Tmuston Beltics
    Tmuston Beltics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

The games shouldn't last for more than 2:30H

slayer14

Its not gonna get more tv viewers for regular season baseball

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They need to do something because viewership is way down

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Baseball old men sports !! Most of the superstars aren’t even Americans

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20649

Leave the game alone.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by ikid2groove415 View Post
    Baseball old men sports !! Most of the superstars aren’t even Americans
    beisbol is a young un-American sport

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Baseball viewership is actually excellent. The game is as strong as ever.

The reality of it is, if you don’t like the game as is...it’s becasue it’s over your head.

Baseball not a sport for dummies.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post

The reality of it is, if you don’t like the game as is...it’s becasue it’s over your head.

you're right, it's for old retired guys who are sitting around waiting to die, those are the only type of people who have 4 hours to watch 1 friggin game

ikid2groove415

Quote Originally Posted by mngambler View Post
    you're right, it's for old retired guys who are sitting around waiting to die, those are the only type of people who have 4 hours to watch 1 friggin game
    Auctually baseball was my favorite sport growing up - after my giants won in 2010 2012 2014 doesn’t feel the same anymore

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

All viewers are going to like this change. There's no reason not to do this. It had gotten out of hand.

For bettors, this is good for overs until the books catch up IMO.

slayer14

3 hours and 30 minutes is okay for a baseball game

ikid2groove415

I’m just happy there’s something to gamble on during baseball season !! Keeps us gambler addicts going lol!!

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

So umps now have to call a game and also keep a clock going for a million things. The time issue isn't why people aren't watching as much. Baseball is just slow, and our society is gogogo fast face ADD right now and probably will never change. It's just how things are. Let em roid up again and people might be more interested I suppose.

I grew up loving and playing baseball, but the speed is just not the issue. Look at the NFl. People got sick of all the commercials and a million penatlies so they started adapting by longer, but less commercials and the "let em play" type style we all love. Some ref crews failed to adhere but overall the game has been better

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post

I love baseball but Opie let's be honest it's hard to watch an entire game on TV regularly.

Going to a game is a decent experience.

magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Chris Sale works quickly. All they really need to do is reward a pitcher like Sale with a bigger strike zone, and smaller to the guy that leans over and shakes off 3 pitches before he decides he is ready to throw the friggin ball.

Games would be ending in 2 hours all the time.

jjgold

Six Mound visits per game is still too much

So silly

lakerboy

If you go to the mound you change the pitcher. If you don't you lose a visit.

jjgold

If game any longer than 2:30 it does nothing to hold viewers

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    Games fine..if you don’t have the patience for it don’t watch
    The game has gotten 13 minutes longer in just the last 10 years. It's 13 minutes of inactivity, not more pitches or balls in play.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Just don't watch the Yankees vs red Sox. If they don't play the time goes down on average. I think every time they play especially at Fenway it's minimum 4-5 hours.

Last year I went to 4 games. I left in the 4th inning the first time. The second and third games I stayed till the end. The last game I don't remember but it was after the 7th inning stretch.
    And don't watch the playoffs either. Game 5 last year took 5:17 for 10 innings.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21833

Seems complicated. Is it going to turn players into robots?

And I don't see anything about any in-game penalty as an enforcement mechanism, and if so it seems toothless.

12 Last