chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

wish coinbase allowed other than the big 3. Isn't there supposed to be another fork at the end of aug? At least one of the guys on videos said it.

TheSideBet
    TheSideBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    wish coinbase allowed other than the big 3. Isn't there supposed to be another fork at the end of aug? At least one of the guys on videos said it.
    Why not buy BTC on Coinbase then use that to convert to whatever you want on another exchange?

TheSideBet

MeanPeopleSuck
    MeanPeopleSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 700

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    No, there won't be any more forks this month.

At the end of this month a hard fork will be scheduled for November to double BTC's block size, but I'd be shocked if it takes place on time, maybe even if it takes place at all.

EDIT On your desire to "shop" more alt coins than Coinbase offers, it's pretty easy to move your BTC to other exchanges. The two largest alt coin exchanges are Poloniex (about 70 alt coins) and Bittrex (over 100 alts traded). Open an acct at Polo/Bittrex, move your Coinbase BTC there and you can be alt coin shopping an hour from now.

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    id rather have a % of my money sitting in BTC instead of money in the bank imo....
    but i wouldnt put more then i can lose, gotta weight risk versus reward.... your money in the bank wont disappear like BTC could but always you wont gain potentially 25%+ on your money leaving it in the bank yearly of course
    That's a great question: what percentage of a person's net worth should be kept in crypto? IMHO, the answer's not "one size fits all." I think it depends on the answer to one key question:

How actively does the person stay on top of the crypto scene?

Crypto happens in fast forward. An hour's like a day, a day's like a week, and a week's like 3 months. If an investor's on top of each day's stories, then OK, rock on with the crypto; but for a more passive investor -- and there's nothing wrong with that; crypto's not for everybody -- IMHO they should invest very little (maybe 1% of their net worth), and they should keep it in BTC only.
    Last edited by MeanPeopleSuck; 08-04-17 at 09:32 PM.

TheSideBet

Quote Originally Posted by MeanPeopleSuck View Post
    That's a great question: what percentage of a person's net worth should be kept in crypto? IMHO, the answer's not "one size fits all." I think it depends on the answers to two questions:

1. How actively does the person stay on top of the crypto scene? Crypto happens in fast forward. An hour's like a day, a day's like a week, and a week's like 3 months. If an investor's on top of each day's stories, then OK, rock on with the crypto; but for a more passive investor -- and there's nothing wrong with that; crypto's not for everybody -- they should invest very little (maybe 1% of their net worth), and they should keep it in BTC only.

2. (#1's definitely more important) How old is the person? Don't get me wrong: I'm definitely not age-ist, it's just that the idea of money with no physical form existing completely outside the banking system, "living" on the internet tends to be easier for the young to accept. I've spent the last 3 major holidays trying to convince my grandpa to buy BTC, with absolutely no luck. Bring it down to my mom's generation, and it took about 6 weeks of convincing. (I'm happy to report that, with a few unapproved trades by me, her account's up almost 700% in just over a year, which I'd like to think qualifies me as a good son.)

But talk to somebody in their 20's and they'll probably be downloading a wallet before the conversation's over.
    Be careful but be proactive at the same time would be my advice. The swings are huge and easily manipulated on some of them. Your return % is definitely better in crypto but as MPS stated you have to be on top of things and account for 24/7 markets and moves. I wouldn't put my whole nest egg on anything but definitely stash some away on a couple of the ones that show promise, check back in 2 years with those and actively trade some of the others now. You really need to do your research though and understand exactly what your'e trading and the use plus the interest to adopt it anytime soon and stay away stay away stay away from the hype videos and the flashy landing pages to suck you in with all of the evangelists.

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by TheSideBet View Post
    Be careful but be proactive at the same time would be my advice. The swings are huge and easily manipulated on some of them. Your return % is definitely better in crypto but as MPS stated you have to be on top of things and account for 24/7 markets and moves. I wouldn't put my whole nest egg on anything but definitely stash some away on a couple of the ones that show promise, check back in 2 years with those and actively trade some of the others now. You really need to do your research though and understand exactly what your'e trading and the use plus the interest to adopt it anytime soon and stay away stay away stay away from the hype videos and the flashy landing pages to suck you in with all of the evangelists.
    I totally agree w/ Side Bet here. Good to meet ya, by the way!

TheSideBet

I totally agree w/ Side Bet here. Good to meet ya, by the way!

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Tried to buy some coin of coinbase for this hmmmm

Unfortunately this transaction has been canceled. Although we try to avoid canceling transactions, in rare circumstances certain transactions cannot be processed due to requirements imposed by our banking partners or other technical errors.

If your payment method was charged, you will receive a full refund as quickly as possible. Coinbase will not charge any fees for this transaction. If you have any questions, please contact our customer support team.

What you guys think? I'm toast?

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273707

just went over 3000 crazy up last 30 minutes.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

$3033.37

might hit 3333 by the end of the night

TheSideBet

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    just went over 3000 crazy up last 30 minutes.
    money money money

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

pilebuck13

Fuk what's the deal...to bad I couldn't buy from coinbase earlier and also couldn't deposit in book then send to coinbase because bookmaker doesn't do deposits on weekend weak!

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

wtf is going on.... just seen it drop $100 in 1 minute... after going up huge today
    jeez this is insane

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    Tried to buy some coin of coinbase for this hmmmm

Unfortunately this transaction has been canceled. Although we try to avoid canceling transactions, in rare circumstances certain transactions cannot be processed due to requirements imposed by our banking partners or other technical errors.

If your payment method was charged, you will receive a full refund as quickly as possible. Coinbase will not charge any fees for this transaction. If you have any questions, please contact our customer support team.

What you guys think? I'm toast?
    Some stones on them to try and take "credit" for not charging you for a transaction that didn't go through.

Were you trying to buy with a credit card? The credit card company probably just declined it(?)

Anyway, not buying tonight might be a blessing. Buying at All Time Highs doesn't usually work out so well.

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    You selling tonight, TTT? I am.

My number one trading rule, a rule I lost a lot of money to learn, is: every good trade feels wrong.

Tonight, everything's great for BTC: all the scalability news is good, BCC looks brushed aside, and BTC's at an all time high, so it feels crazy to sell, so that's what I'm doing.

Will it work? Who the f*ck knows? Crypto be crazy, yo.

pilebuck13

Some stones on them to try and take "credit" for not charging you for a transaction that didn't go through.

Were you trying to buy with a credit card? The credit card company probably just declined it(?)

Anyway, not buying tonight might be a blessing. Buying at All Time Highs doesn't usually work out so well.
    No I don't think they declined but oh well I know the funds were in there

Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Crypto happens in fast forward. An hour's like a day, a day's like a week, and a week's like 3 months. If an investor's on top of each day's stories, then OK, rock on with the crypto; but for a more passive investor -- and there's nothing wrong with that; crypto's not for everybody -- IMHO they should invest very little (maybe 1% of their net worth), and they should keep it in BTC only.
    There is some great advice on this forum. This is right at the top.

ace7550
    ace7550's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7772

I use Itbit for depositing and withdrawing usd. The wires usually take less than 24 hours on weekdays. Coinbase takes a week to process a wire sometimes. Coinbase's Gdax trading platform is really nice and user friendly but other than that Coinbase kinda sucks IMO. Their wires take forever, if you trade directly on Coinbase their fees are high, and their handling of this bitcoin hardfork was very shady.

firekillex

NEO $15 per coin now... lets gooooooo
    bought in at $5 per coin

good week for cryptos .... now we just need ETH to step up

RoyBacon
    RoyBacon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15679

You selling tonight, TTT? I am.

My number one trading rule, a rule I lost a lot of money to learn, is: every good trade feels wrong.

Tonight, everything's great for BTC: all the scalability news is good, BCC looks brushed aside, and BTC's at an all time high, so it feels crazy to sell, so that's what I'm doing.

Will it work? Who the f*ck knows? Crypto be crazy, yo.
    I sold half last night. But pretty impressive how this baby can digest all of the profit taking and hold in there at $3200.

I somehow loaned out some BTC on Bitfinex for 30 days instead of 2 or 5. A mere .74(250%) for short selling so I'm stuck for another 3 weeks. Just grabbed a little BCH at $249. No idea why, my mouse just kind of took over.

Chief Wahoo
    Chief Wahoo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13336

bought in at $5 per coin

Happy and frustrated at the same time as bought in twice at $6 and $8 and wanted more but coinbase taking forever to get additional bitcoin. Really excited about this one. A couple of others really flying up as well. Hopefully keep moving up.

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!
    Barnes & Whine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Guys guys guys, you have to patient with this stuff. Try to look for value, just like you do when betting on sports games, and invest your money on good exchanges like Kraken or Bittrex.

I have to watch it to because I get excited when something goes up 60% in one day, but Do not panic sell ever. Look for good coins that have wallets that you can store offline if needed. Do your own research. NEO/Antshares looks like a good one.

If you have money on exchanges, always remember to enable the 2 FACTOR AUTHENTICATION, usually you can do this using the GOOGLE AUTHENTICATOR APP.

firekillex

whats everybodys fav crypto currency to invest in today or this week??
    cashed out a little profit and i wanna put 5% of my portfolio that opened up on something

im into bitcoin, eth, neo , litecoin and some smaller alts right now ( golem, lisk, iot, waves )

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!

For you sports fantasy bettors, take a look at NoLimitCoin. it was created as a crypto currency to be used in fantasy sports.

There is virtually a coin for every kind of platform you can think of.

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!

cashed out a little profit and i wanna put 5% of my portfolio that opened up on something

im into bitcoin, eth, neo , litecoin and some smaller alts right now ( golem, lisk, iot, waves )

Ethereum, Litecoin, ICONOMI, STRATIS, WINGS, SAFEEXCHANGE COIN.

Take a look at Tenx ICO. It has its own pay card for purchasing with crypto.

TheSideBet

I'm still in same positions as posted last week but look to add IOTA this week at the sign of any small dip I can grab it at.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Just buy the three major ones don't be a sucker with all the little stuff

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1691

MAN...My head is spinning ! I just don't get this!...OK I'am stupid,an idiot , ect. Now that is over,will someone explain in laymen terms....how these crypto currencies derive their value ! ??...............Thanks

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47621

bought in at $5 per coin

TheSideBet

Quote Originally Posted by CappinTerp View Post
    MAN...My head is spinning ! I just don't get this!...OK I'am stupid,an idiot , ect. Now that is over,will someone explain in laymen terms....how these crypto currencies derive their value ! ??...............Thanks
    You're not stupid there are a ton of perceived values on each coin or technology. The two main principles are the money behind each one influencing the prices and the idea of where one will be adopted for use mainstream in the future and then you figure in how many of those are in or will be in circulation and ties into supply and demand like anything else regarding price points.

Bitcoin is the 'brand' of crypto with the most proven stability in tech, name recognition, and solid backing from investors so it is like a blue chip in the industry. Others like Ripple (XRP) show promise to explode one day if people sign onto them but price easily manipulated with the creators keeping upwards of 70% of available to themselves so one can see how that will go if demand picks up.

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

I don't understand how a store or restaurant could ever accept Bitcoin. What if it's time to pay the bill and the transaction gets stuck on the block chain? So you have to sit there for 8 hours waiting for it to confirm? I understand you can buy stuff online with it. I have done it several times and sometimes had to wait hours for confirmations. But how are you supposed to do that at a restaurant? I don't get it.

RoyBacon
    RoyBacon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15679

Been watching IOTA. Goes up every day. Put a couple of limit orders in got nothing. Up another 16% today. Just can't stomach chasing it.

First ... 11121314151617 ... Last