InThisMoment
    hello
    InThisMoment's Avatar Become A Pro!

Instant Replay has ruined football

Officiating has never been worse. They don't even attempt to make the right call, then just head to the replay booth.

Completely stops the flow of the game. During its inception the point was to insure game-changing plays were correct. I watched the Okla-Texas and USC-ND games and it seemed every other play needed a stoppage. Even watching the games on Tivo it was painful.

In the Fla-Ark. game, they replay Ark. TD/fumble and still don't get it right. Then the key phantom penalty on Tebow's is an absolutely abominable call and Helen Keller could have seen the replay, but that is not reversible.

Plain and simple, it's a copout and a tool used to manipulate the games.

Toss it, toss it, toss it.

BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

Great point. It made the USC/Notre Dame game almost unwatchable.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

I completely disagree I don't give a fuk how long it takes to get the right call. They are getting these important late game calls correct now and teams are not getting fuked by the poor judgement of the live human eye.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

They get it right 95-97 % of the time your two examples today are not the norm and are debatable at that.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheJerk View Post
    I completely disagree I don't give a fuk how long it takes to get the right call. They are getting these important late game calls correct now and teams are not getting fuked by the poor judgement of the live human eye.

I agree.

onthewhat
    onthewhat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree

Change to the NFL system

Coaches get 2 challenges and if they win them they get another, etc.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

I'm still torn on replay

some games its great, other games it really ruins the flow

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 506

I don't like the replay. It disrupts the flow of the game and makes the referees worse because they don't even try to get the correct call.

InThisMoment
    hello
    InThisMoment's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do think they should get the call correct, especially in crucial situations. But my point is it has gotten ridiculous now that so many calls have to go to the replays because the referees have gotten so incompetent. They are using the replay as a crutch to not make the right decision.

Barring robotics and lasers taking over refereeing there is always going to be some sort of judgement in the officiation of a game. Things such as pass interference and holding can be just as crucial as what is continually occurring to go to replay, yet they are judgement calls and irreversible.

I'm all for getting things right, but as it stands now the theory of replay and the actual implementation of it are taking constrasting paths.

I hadn't even addressed my other pet peeves that make the game infinitesimally long like unnecessary commercial barrages before and after kickoffs and punts, unpalatable commentary that takes away from the game (how many times do we really need to feature Todd Blackledge eating a ****ing hamburger and miss a play to boot?), etc.

As much as I think the NFL is canned sanitized theater at least they move the game along where it ends in approximately three hours. Sitting through 4 1/2 hours of Longhorn-Sooner fumble, stumbles and penalties is the viewing equivalent of Stuttering John reading you Tolstoy in a locked room.

But I digress.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 506

Games are so long they are not even fun to watch. Texas game today was 4 hrs. Yankee game is 5 hours and keep going. These games are not fun to watch. They are torture.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

I think its done a great service to verifying alot of close calls IMHO

OuchaDirkFan41
    Got sliced like a golf ball yesterday
    OuchaDirkFan41's Avatar Become A Pro!

Everyone knows the officials work for Vegas.