BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

Is Buerhle a HOF candidate?

I say yes. He's got a ring and two no-hitters. He's on double-digits for 11 straight seasons. I say if he wins 200 in his career he should warrant serious consideration.

Thoughts?

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11225

I don't think he would be in the hall. See how his career finishes up.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 482

Yes. He has a WS ring and two no hitters. Obama also likes him. Done deal if Obama is president when he retires.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

knew this was coming. Bob that is not enough to put someone in the hall. he won the ring but that is his only playoff success. he is good but hall might be stretching it. i say they make a sub hall for second tier players too many guys getting attention for hall.

BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3791

Absolutely not, nowhere near close.

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

I feel as if the HOF for all sports isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. I feel too many players are getting in, so it's not as of a prestigue thing

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Not even close

he needs to win at least 280 games

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

no

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Candidate, sure, but still a helluva lot of work to do.

No hitters shouldn't be much of a factor. Just needs to win a lot of games.

ukbro00
    ukbro00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

If he retired today, no shot. If he continues pitching this way for the next 10 years (until he is 40) then yes. So the proper answer is, time will tell, and he is going to need to win at least 250.

Nickelicious
    Nickelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 213

Agree with ukbro. He's only 30 and has 133 wins already. The new standard will be 250. With 10 more good years, Buerhle will have 280-300 already, and he's a junk pitcher like Moyer so he has a few years left after 40. The dude could pitch until he's 45, at least, and he has said that's exactly what he WANTS to do.

316 career wins, lock for the hall.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by ukbro00 View Post
    If he retired today, no shot. If he continues pitching this way for the next 10 years (until he is 40) then yes. So the proper answer is, time will tell, and he is going to need to win at least 250.
    Agree with your assessment. Could be a HOFer, but certainly not in there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    knew this was coming. Bob that is not enough to put someone in the hall. he won the ring but that is his only playoff success. he is good but hall might be stretching it. i say they make a sub hall for second tier players too many guys getting attention for hall.
    Buehrle's one ring is one more than any of the players below has won. I've asked you this before but never got an answer. Does a player have to win multiple rings to be HOF worthy? Do we toss out all of the names on the following list?

HOFs never to win a World Series
    Luke Appling
    Richie Ashburn
    Earl Averill
    Ernie Banks
    Jim Bunning
    Rod Carew
    Ty Cobb
    Sam Crawford
    Bobby Doerr
    Rick Ferrell
    Elmer Flick
    Nellie Fox
    Tony Gwynn
    Gabby Hartnett
    Harry Heilman
    Billy Herman
    Ferguson Jenkins
    Addie Joss
    George Kell
    Harmon Killebrew
    Ralph Kiner
    Chuck Klein
    Nap Lajoie
    Freddie Lindstrom
    Ted Lyons
    Heinie Manush
    Juan Marichal
    Rube Marquard
    Phil Niekro
    Gaylord Perry
    Eppa Rixey
    Robin Roberts
    Ryne Sandberg
    George Sisler
    Don Sutton
    Arky Vaughan
    Rube Waddell
    Bobby Wallace
    Paul Waner
    Lloyd Waner
    Zack Wheat
    Billy Williams
    Ted Williams
    Hack Wilson
    Early Wynn
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Robin Yount

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

no,lotsa pitchers with better credentials not in yet

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Not even close. There is zero discussion here.

t-bone
    t-bone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1871

No way in hell

buckeyesfan
    buckeyesfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Give me a break after that no hitter Bob Harvey is posting if hes a hall of famer or not. Hes a good ace starting pitcher but not a hall of famer and if he wins a couple CY Young maybe.

DeeWizzle
    DeeWizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
    No way in hell
    Agree... Prisoner of the moment

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the hall is getting too small, let's go with an open field. Open field of fame (OFOF) won't be a bad idea!

Bogart45
    Bogart45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4509

I think it depends on how his career finishes.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17227

No. Two days ago, who would make such a silly argument. Congrats on the perfect game and second no-hitter, but he'll have to buy a ticket like the rest of us to see the HOF.

BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post

Buehrle's one ring is one more than any of the players below has won. I've asked you this before but never got an answer. Does a player have to win multiple rings to be HOF worthy? Do we toss out all of the names on the following list?

Luke Appling
    Richie Ashburn
    Earl Averill
    Ernie Banks
    Jim Bunning
    Rod Carew
    Ty Cobb
    Sam Crawford
    Bobby Doerr
    Rick Ferrell
    Elmer Flick
    Nellie Fox
    Tony Gwynn
    Gabby Hartnett
    Harry Heilman
    Billy Herman
    Ferguson Jenkins
    Addie Joss
    George Kell
    Harmon Killebrew
    Ralph Kiner
    Chuck Klein
    Nap Lajoie
    Freddie Lindstrom
    Ted Lyons
    Heinie Manush
    Juan Marichal
    Rube Marquard
    Phil Niekro
    Gaylord Perry
    Eppa Rixey
    Robin Roberts
    Ryne Sandberg
    George Sisler
    Don Sutton
    Arky Vaughan
    Rube Waddell
    Bobby Wallace
    Paul Waner
    Lloyd Waner
    Zack Wheat
    Billy Williams
    Ted Williams
    Hack Wilson
    Early Wynn
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Robin Yount
    Good stuff!

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Gred Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Mark Buehrle

Which one of these doesn't belong?

Buehrle has had a very good MLB career, but unless he pitches 10 more years and averages @ 15 wins a year, he's got no chance at getting into the HOF without buying a ticket.

Doc

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Since there is no salary cap in baseball HOF inductees from teams with above average payrolls have an unfair advantage. If Greinke was playing for the Yankees he would have 25 wins every year and he would have been a HOF in 10 years. But since he is playing for the Royals he would never be a HOF because it would take him 30 years to get 250 wins. Does this mean he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF and someone like Pettite or Mussina who if they played for the Royals would have had horrible career numbers may actually be considered one day for HOF? Unless there is a salary cap we will never know if a pitcher gets the wins every year because of the people surrounding him or because of the people they don't have on board.

linglingfool
    linglingfool's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I'm a Sox fan, and I say no, because he probably won't even hit 200 wins. The reason being is that he'll likely retire after his contract is up in 2011, unless he gets to pitch for his hometown Cards. He's about the most normal, unassuming guy you'll ever meet, and would gladly take the opportunity to do nothing but spend time with his wife and kid. The ONLY way I see him getting in is getting a second ring, and even then only if he hits 200.

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Since there is no salary cap in baseball HOF inductees from teams with above average payrolls have an unfair advantage. If Greinke was playing for the Yankees he would have 25 wins every year and he would have been a HOF in 10 years. But since he is playing for the Royals he would never be a HOF because it would take him 30 years to get 250 wins. Does this mean he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF and someone like Pettite or Mussina who if they played for the Royals would have had horrible career numbers may actually be considered one day for HOF? Unless there is a salary cap we will never know if a pitcher gets the wins every year because of the people surrounding him or because of the people they don't have on board.
    Pavy,
    I don't have a beef with your basic argument, but I would point out that very few players play their entire careers with one team. So, there is nothing to say Greinke can't go to a large payroll team when he becomes a FA if that's what he wants to do and enhance his chances of putting up the kind of numbers that would make him Hall-worthy.

Also there are position players like Gwynn and Ripken that did play their entire careers for teams that, on the whole, were not good teams, who did make the HOF.

Now, I know that pitchers are different from position players in that they're dependent on their teammates to score runs in order for them to be the winning pitcher because you can pitch your @ss off and lose 1-0.

And there are pitchers who pitched most of their careers for bad teams who made the HOF. Phil Neikro pitched most of his career for the Braves who were historically bad for most of Phil's career. Now, he did go the the American League to finish his career. Gaylord Perry is another pitcher who didn't pitch on great teams for most of his career.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Dark Horse,

I was just trying to point out that having 250 wins with a team of $400 million payroll and an ERA of 4.78 maybe as good as having 175 wins with a team of $50 million payroll and 3.87 ERA. Salary cap doesn't come into play when a pitcher is considered for the HOF. Only wins count which is wrong in my opinion. They should take the salary cap of the team a pitcher played, divide it per number of wins and whoever has the smaller ratio of wins per dollar spent should be considered.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post

Luke Appling
    Richie Ashburn
    Earl Averill
    Ernie Banks
    Jim Bunning
    Rod Carew
    Ty Cobb
    Sam Crawford
    Bobby Doerr
    Rick Ferrell
    Elmer Flick
    Nellie Fox
    Tony Gwynn
    Gabby Hartnett
    Harry Heilman
    Billy Herman
    Ferguson Jenkins
    Addie Joss
    George Kell
    Harmon Killebrew
    Ralph Kiner
    Chuck Klein
    Nap Lajoie
    Freddie Lindstrom
    Ted Lyons
    Heinie Manush
    Juan Marichal
    Rube Marquard
    Phil Niekro
    Gaylord Perry
    Eppa Rixey
    Robin Roberts
    Ryne Sandberg
    George Sisler
    Don Sutton
    Arky Vaughan
    Rube Waddell
    Bobby Wallace
    Paul Waner
    Lloyd Waner
    Zack Wheat
    Billy Williams
    Ted Williams
    Hack Wilson
    Early Wynn
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Robin Yount
    no a player doesnt have to win any rings to be a hall of famer. all im saying is just casue buerhle wona ring he isnt hall material. many players play on bad teams but have great careers and deserve hall status. nice list though

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Dark Horse,

I was just trying to point out that having 250 wins with a team of $400 million payroll and an ERA of 4.78 maybe as good as having 175 wins with a team of $50 million payroll and 3.87 ERA. Salary cap doesn't come into play when a pitcher is considered for the HOF. Only wins count which is wrong in my opinion. They should take the salary cap of the team a pitcher played, divide it per number of wins and whoever has the smaller ratio of wins per dollar spent should be considered.
    Pavy,
    Did you mean me (Doc) or Dark Horse??? LOL

Wins do count. I would argue that they aren't the sole determining factor in whether or not you get into the Hall. Cy Young Awards, All Star appearances, Gold Gloves, post season performance, ERA vs league avg. ERA for the time you played - all go into the equation of whether or not a pitcher is HOF material. Now, I agree that without the wins, the other stuff probably doesn't matter so much.

Doc

james4512
    james4512's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

really hard to say, at this moment i would say no, but you never know leftys can stay in the majors into their late 30's and even early 40s so that definatly plays in his favor.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

nope.

Bigmikesm
    Bigmikesm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1690

He's on the right track. Way too early in his career to know this answer though.