wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

avergage american consumer GOING BROKE

U.S. Consumers Relying on Credit for Basic Necessities

Q

Enlarge image Americans Rely on Credit as Inflation Erodes Incomes

David Paul Morris/Bloomberg

A merchant slides a CC for a transaction in San Francisco.

A merchant slides a CC for a transaction in San Francisco. Photographer: David Paul Morris/Bloomberg

Chart: Credit Dollar Volume Growth
    Chart: Revolving Consumer Credit Outstanding

Consumers in the U.S. are increasingly using ************ to pay for basic necessities as income gains fail to keep pace with rising food and fuel prices.
    The dollar volume of purchases charged grew 10.7 percent in June from a year ago, while the number of transactions rose 6.8 percent, according to First Data Corp.’s SpendTrend report issued this month. The difference probably represents the increasing cost of gasoline, said Silvio Tavares, senior vice president at First Data, the largest CC processor.
    “Consumers, particularly in the lower-income end, are being forced to use their ************ for everyday spending like gas and food,” said Tavares, who’s based in Atlanta. “That’s because there’s been no other positive catalyst, like an increase in wages, to offset higher prices. It’s a cash-flow problem.”
    Rising costs of food and gasoline are leaving Americans less money to spend discretionary items, slowing the pace of the recovery, Tavares said. Household spending accounts for about 70 percent of the world’s largest economy.
    After-tax income adjusted for inflation fell 0.1 percent from January through May, according to figures from the Commerce Department. The drop came as Labor Department data showed energy prices rose 8.2 percent and food climbed 2 percent during the same period.
    ‘Dramatic’ Swings

The swings in purchases of fuel and food have been “dramatic,” Tavares said. The volume of gasoline purchases placed on ************ jumped 39 percent last month from a year earlier, compared with a 21 percent increase in June 2010, he said. Food shopping increased 5 percent after falling 7 percent last year.
    The value of an average transaction on ************ outpaced the gain for debit cards, showing consumers are increasingly relying on borrowing to pay for gasoline and other necessities, Tavares said.
    The figures are in synch with data from the Federal Reserve. Revolving credit, primarily CC balances, increased by $3.37 billion to $793.1 billion in May from an almost seven-year low of $789.8 billion in April, figures from the central bank showed. The gain was equivalent to a 5.1 percent increase at an annual rate.
    The use of ************ is a “smoking gun” that indicates some consumers, including the long-term unemployed who have lost jobless benefits, are resorting to other sources of cash flow just to “get by,” said David Rosenberg, chief economist at Gluskin Sheff & Associates Inc. in Toronto.
    “People on the margin are putting necessities on their ************ and this is a trend that’s very consistent with what lower-end retailers have been saying about their paycheck cycles,” Rosenberg said.
    ‘Cash-Strapped’

Core customers of Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) are “cash strapped,” William Simon, U.S. stores chief, said at a June 15 conference hosted by William Blair & Co. “The paycheck cycle is severe.”
    Similarly, customers of Matthews, North Carolina-based Family Dollar Stores Inc. (FDO) are living “paycheck-to-paycheck,” so when gas or food prices go up, “they don’t have the cushion that many others might have,” Chairman and Chief Executive Howard Levine said on a June 29 conference call.
    Changes within the industry may account for some of the recent stabilization in outstanding revolving credit as several banks have ended incentive programs for debit cards, while increasing credit-card solicitations this year, Tavares said.
    A possible bright spot is that inflation may moderate as prices of commodities stabilize, Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said July 13 in his semi-annual testimony to Congress. As of July 19, the average price of a gallon of unleaded gas had dropped 7.6 percent from May 4, when it reached an almost three- year high.
    Bernanke’s View

“The anticipated pickups in economic activity and job creation, together with the expected easing of price pressures, should bolster real household income, confidence, and spending,” Bernanke said.
    Confidence has a long way to climb for those in the lower- income brackets. The sentiment gauge for those making less than $15,000 a year was minus 66 in the week ended July 10 and was minus 69.6 for those earning $15,000 to $24,999, according to the Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index. The comparable reading for households making more than $100,000 was minus 1.4.
    “For people to think that this rebound in credit-card usage is actually a sign of resurging consumer confidence, I think they’re looking at the situation backwards,” Rosenberg sa

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

They got us all by the balls. I have sworn off credit now, rather live with a few less luxieries than getting buried in again. Still have some thousands in debt left to pay off but took a long time to unbury unmanageable amounts from what I did in my youth.

wtf

I love the end of the article, explaining the REAL reason why consumers are using credit

avoid using them at all costs, but need them to survive, no choice

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

even using credit is a serious problem when there is no plan to change the inflation. All you're going to do is lose with this set up.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I love the end of the article, explaining the REAL reason why consumers are using credit

Guess I am one of the lucky few making more currently than at any other point in my working life. Nowhere near big $ or anything but enough to sustain, pay down debt, and still have a good time within reasonable means.

Roxxyfish
    finally i am on skype
    Roxxyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!

dont worry, same here in europe

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Not sure why this is surprising? Anyone making less than 15k a year is going to struggle, especially if you have credit involved.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

wtf

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Not sure why this is surprising? Anyone making less than 15k a year is going to struggle, especially if you have credit involved.
    the issue was the surge in use of cc

some economists speculated the economy was improving, when in reality the opposite is happening

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9156

gas, groceries and cost of living goes up. but your salary does.... they dont teach money management in HS. we are setting our selves up for the majority to fail

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

People just need to live within their spending power, is that means downsizing or cutting down on what you eat, then you have to do it. No excuse for abusing plastic.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24878

All of our recent "booms" have been on funny money. All credit

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxyfish View Post
    roxxy sighting

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

************ were the reason why the country got to where it is. Well credit in general. it was the way the rich made the lower class and poor people think they (the poor) were actually doing OK. While they continued to bury themselves in debt. So people didnt have to make enough to survive as long as they could afford payments into a pretty corrupt system. So they saved nothing and just lived pay check to paycheck. Then when the job market crashed and everything folded in everyone who thought they were OK suddenly realized they were way too deep in debt.

So rather than paying people a wage that is enough to actually survive they manipulated the system to make sure anyone could get credit, including people who couldnt verify any sort of income at all. I knew guys who werent working, just had alittle money in the bank and were carrying CC from banks with 2500-4000 limits. And they werent making a dime. They would just get those checks that were interest free for a year or so and rotate cards and close and open them as soon as they stopped being interest free. Good scam as long as you could keep ahead of it. But if you lost a game or didnt have he cash, which happened to all of them eventually, they obviously couldnt afford to pay off the last one they got. So the 2500 or whatever snowballed to 6 ot 7K with interest, fees, and whatever else the CC companies could throw at them. Now they have collection agencies and lawyers sending them letter and calling them with dals to settle for 3 or 4 K, which is still 20-40% more than their debt was originally.

So while the guys were dumb for doing it, they should never have been given the chance to do it in the first place. So it is almost like entrapment in a way. Because the banks can see who can afford cards with limits like that and who cant. Or they should. And since these guys never worked a day in their life the collectors cant really do too much. because the guys are broke all the time anyway or maybe working odd jobs for cash or something.

Either way it is a very screwed up system that has finally been exposed, but this article I guess (which is years late) is bringing it down to a level that anyone can understand. But anyone with a brain figured out 4 or 5 years ago.

Mammon
    Mammon's Avatar Become A Pro!

************ have all jacked their rates to put the extra squeeze on.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2223

I would say 95% of people use their Credit Car at my Bar... It's a very affluent area and not your typical place. The people that come in have money... I have the cash to pay for things but I use my card for everything. I like to get the perks from using my cards...Free plane tickets, etc etc.
    Last edited by flyingillini; 07-21-11 at 12:32 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8881

I got rid of all my ccredit cards in 2003.
    Haven't used them since. Only my bank card if needed.
    Cash only
    Don't miss them at all.
    Always have more money in my pocket
    one of the best decisions I have made.
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 07-21-11 at 11:34 AM.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 458

Always pay with cash. I carry a minimum of $1000 in my wallet.

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

HELLyeah

said it before and ill say it again

if americans want food they are FREE to get a job at walmart

if a job at walmart does not pay enough for food they are FREE to get TWO jobs at walmart, etc etc

yes we ARE going to slash taxes for job creators, slash social security and medicaid which is just sneaky ways of getting job creators to give free sh*t to lazy people, and we are going to spend as much as we need on the army to stay #1. we might double military spending, and if liberals keep wining about it we may just TRIPLE military spending and then attack a socialest country just to piss liberal pussies off hahahahah

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxyfish View Post

LOL I think i seen u on day 5 coverage on espn roxxy

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDime View Post
    HELLyeah

said it before and ill say it again

if americans want food they are FREE to get a job at walmart

if a job at walmart does not pay enough for food they are FREE to get TWO jobs at walmart, etc etc

yes we ARE going to slash taxes for job creators, slash social security and medicaid which is just sneaky ways of getting job creators to give free sh*t to lazy people, and we are going to spend as much as we need on the army to stay #1. we might double military spending, and if liberals keep wining about it we may just TRIPLE military spending and then attack a socialest country just to piss liberal pussies off hahahahah

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15337

It used to be you could get a CC for nothing now you got to pay a 100 annual fee for the privilege to borrow small money and pay back with 30% interest. Only stupid Americans fall for this scam, I ripped mine up and told the banks to fuk themselves.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I'd say China has some serious problems of their own:

underthe total
    under
    underthe total's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    thats 1250 a month, that is tough, yeah 15000/12 because even if they are withheld taxes they get it back. and then child tax credits acttually has them making tax money.

tough live like that

you cant judge the china pictures they are in a different culture, even some well off chinamen have mediocur means, much different that here in the U>S>

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2223

I overheard a conversation last night about a guy wanting to claim bankruptcy for a 100k.... What the hell is wrong with some people???? What is that going to do for you... Then another guy said he did it for 25k, I couldn't imagine this...... at least be 500 to 1mil in if your going to do that......25k??? Unreal

Emily_Haines

There really kicking ass in USA as well

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post

Man, what a brilliant, thought provoking response.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    Man, what a brilliant, thought provoking response.
    Kid, you write maybe two sentences each post.... I know repubs are naturally hypocrites, but come on....

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    Show me where you can find this in the US.

tofuman
    tofuman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 457

they are consuming too much!

Emily_Haines

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    Show me where you can find this in the US.
    People in the USA get money from the government to have a nicer slum. Otherwise it would be the same.

goldstein077
    goldstein077's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yea The U.S. economy is going down the shitter as we speak.

necro
    Update your status
    necro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

it's not good so better to stay away from it

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

All the banging on the USA is unreal. Everybody piling on now that the TOP DOG is down at the moment.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    It used to be you could get a CC for nothing now you got to pay a 100 annual fee for the privilege to borrow small money and pay back with 30% interest. Only stupid Americans fall for this scam, I ripped mine up and told the banks to fuk themselves.
    If you can't get a CC without an annual fee then something is very wrong with you.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

nothing wrong with credit...most people just dont know how to use it responsibly....or how to read fine print and get good cards

too many people use them stupidly...and younger people using it to keep up....need a new laptop, tv, ipad.....or they have to drive a nice car to feel like they are doing ok...then they dont have money left to eat out and do fun things

plus alot of people are lazy....if u are getting in trouble with credit...get a side job to work it off...too many are lazy and think a 2nd job or a part time 2nd job is the end of the world
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

12 Last